Rohan’s Defender

15
[ChildOfGod]
BTS ARMY with a double bias <3
*joined in July 2020*
Peeta Mellark’s girl (9-24-20)

Hey, everyone! Have a great day!

Stars and Stripes (Footnotes!)

16
 The American flag billows high in the clear sky, as majestic and independent as the country it symbolizes. It represents so many things, including the many brave men and women who have given their lives protecting the flag and the country it stands for. This beautiful symbol made up of stars and stripes is treated as a living thing, something to be cherished and respected.

When an American flag becomes worn and tattered from its glorious days of flying high, it is then replaced by a new one. But what about the old, frayed flag? It is considered disrespectful to just throw it away like all of our other garbage. Tattered flags need a proper, dignified retirement. The only problem is, not everyone knows what that entails.

A worn flag can be retired in a few different ways:

The first option is to burn it in a very specific way. Universally, burning a worn flag is considered the best way to retire it. A flag burning ceremony consists of specific procedures. *Note: only worn/tattered flags are to be retired*
 When preparing to burn the flag, first it should be folded into a triangle. The flag is spread out, turned horizontally, and folded in half. This step is then repeated, so that your flag is folded into a relatively thin strip. From here, you will begin on the side opposite the field of blue and the white stars, and you will fold it with small triangles, so that the corner is repeatedly brought to one side of the flag. This will be done until the flag has thirteen triangular folds, and then the little bit of extra fabric is tucked into the triangle. All that is visible on any side of your flag is the blue and the stars. (There are many websites available that offer videos of how to fold your flag correctly.)
 Next, your fire should be built so that it is big and hot enough to burn the entire flag at once. As the flag burns, you may either recite the Pledge of Allegiance, salute the flaming flag, say a prayer, or observe a minute of silence. After the flag has burned and the fire is extinguished, it is also an option to bury the ashes.

Some flags are made of materials that are hazardous to burn. For these flags especially, there are other options for a proper retirement.

Another way to dispose of old flags is to bury them. When buying a tattered flag, it needs to be placed in a secure case, so that the flag itself will not be touching the ground. Then you may say the Pledge of Allegiance, or one of the other signs of respect used when burning a flag.

For some people, especially those who have old American flags that belonged to family members or friends, it is also an option to display the flag in a special display case rather than destroy it. It is up to the preference of the owner if the flag, as long as a tattered flag is not left in the place of a flag in good condition.

One more method of flag retirement is to send it to a special organization. There the flag will either be retired properly, or recycled into material for a new flag. This is a good way for people who don’t have the time or place to burn or bury their flag to ensure it still gets a dignified retirement.

The American flag is a symbol of life, love, freedom, and justice. It deserves to be treated as the special emblem it is. Respect our country, respect our veterans, and respect our flag.

Hey, everyone! This is a little informational piece about American flag disposal. I am working on my Girl Scout Silver Award project (for those of you unfamiliar with it, it is one of the three highest awards a Girl Scout can earn). For my project, I am addressing the lack of awareness of proper flag disposal in my community by educating and collecting flags to retire in a dignified way. I have multiple family memwho are/have been in the military, and I know how important it is to respect our flag and those who sacrifice their lives to protect our country. I hope this is a helpful explanation of why we should give our flags proper retirement and how to do that! 

1

• Busssy.Beee

re: hm, i didn't have a notif list lol. and yeah, i'll say that you're finishing it! oh you don't have to make the next part the last part, you can write the next parts then finish. to be honest, you can do whatever!

• beth r.

re: Good! AND YASSS THE PFP! LOVE ITTT

• Busssy.Beee

re: if you want to. i would be more than happy to let you finish!

• katnissromanoff

Re: No, I'm not, though I have a couple friends who were

• Busssy.Beee

re: i'm sorry. :( but, if you want, you can just imagine the ending, or if you want, you can finish it! :)

• ava09 (sorta back)

replying: thank youuu. <333 i'm doing alright - been really tired recently for some reason though. how about you? also, is that you in your profile pic?

• ava09 (sorta back)

i love this!! it's super helpful, and i also have family who are/have been in the military, so i agree that it's super important to learn about proper flag disposal.

Re: <3 <3 <3

• Someoneyouusedtoknow

Re: hi! I don't think we've met before, but it's nice to meet you!

• katnissromanoff

Re: Yeah, I'll be constantly daydreaming XD That's so cool that you're doing your Girl Scout Silver Award

• katnissromanoff

Re: Honestly, not much. I've watched some TV, done some writing, but I don't think I'll do much else haha. What about you?

• katnissromanoff

Re: I'm doing well too! I'm so glad that it's the weekend haha

• katnissromanoff

Re: Thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked it! My poem was completely fictional haha (I was just in the mood to write something emotional I guess), but I would love to chat! How have you been?

Re: Hey Eden! I'm doing fine. Just finished getting ready for bed, and quickly reviewing a piece I needed to finish off XD. What about you!

I might not see your reply till tomorrow morning, cause I was about to log out when I saw your comment.

• In Which Yaya Writes

Wow, this is so cool! At my church, we always gave our flag to an organization. But thank you so much for writing this! It's very interesting but very important. I hope you do well in Girl Scouts!
    Replying: Thank you so much! We really do have a lot to be thankful for.
    Aw, I'm glad I made you feel better!
    Also, you look so pretty! I love being able to see your face!

• ~madeline~

Re: :) <33

• ~madeline~

Re: I mean obviously not exactly how I imagined you, but like really weirdly close XD. But now I actually have a face to go with your nameeee... EEEEEE... I do kinda want to put myself for my Pfp... Maybe tommorow I can (try to) find an okay picture of myself lol. Tonight.... nahhhh too lazy.

Re: OMIGOSH EDEN!! YOUR FACE POPPED UP IN MY NOTIFICATIONS AND I AM NOT OKAY!!! Girl you are so radiant it's amazing. Like obviously you're really pretty but like your whole self is like GLOWING and beautiful yesss. You also look kinda like someone I used to know but I like you better and none of that is related.
    Okay moving on before I pass out.
    Thank you for your sweet comment!!

• nolongeractive

This is such a beautiful piece of writing. Hats off to you! The element in this story which I most admired was definitely the tone. I really enjoyed how the tone represented the times of deprivation in 2020, yet it wasn't overly serious.
    I really liked the ending; it kind of left me with some inner thoughts and things to reflect upon after the tough year! I think that adding any more would be over-doing it.
    I think that you should most certainly keep at your craft. You have real potential and you seem to have lots to tell. Writers are artists, and there is plenty of art within you that has yet to be explored.

Re: pretty good... it's sunny here today, so that's nice. i should prob be starting my tasks for the day, but... i love this place! it's hard to tear away from it.
    hbu?

Interesting! Glad to have learned something. Informative and powerful.
    Re: thank you SO MUCH. your words mean a lot. and thank you for the suggestion on the holiday vibes! i agree... i think that will be more applicable across the world than winter.

• Rachaelgrace

This is a really helpful piece! Good job with it :)

Re: Thank you <3

Re: I know I've always been this way (although it's might be more concentrated now), but I didn't know what it was until now. Yeah, I'm an ambivert. I haven't been to F on the F yet but I will. They're great. And yes I think I might be both.

Re: So, I took the test and got a 20 out of a 24, but they said more than 14 is an HSP. I really don't know... I'm good at keeping a check of my emotions (Not a good habit, but I can't help it. DON'T do it), but I am actually a really sensitive person. Also, the test asked if I'm sensitive to caffine. I've tasted Coffee once, and I hated it....

I'm actually really interested in these kinds of personality quirks (Is it called a quirk?). You wanna talk more about it?

And you deserve the shoutout!

Re: Sorry for the late reply: I wasn't feeling too good the last few days, so I cleared my profile, pfp and everything. I'm fine now, but I've learnt a lot.

Also, I can see a lot of talk on HSP and SPD. What are they?

Well I don't know. Maybe I have both. Because even when I'm not overwhelmed, I constantly shift and adjust everything and still can't get comfortable because of a the seams and wrinkles and bumps and everything... Idk.

Okay I was super skeptical that my last comment was true, but I did more research, and I think it is. That's why my SPD has gotten better as I've matured and learned how to manage my emotions. That's why when I'm more stressed or overstimulated, my SPD gets worse. Sorry that I keep commenting, but this is shocking. And to think it's because I just happened to see that comment...

Woah I just read that HSP's don't actually have SPD. What I have apparently is HSP not SPD. What???

I saw your comment about HSP's... wow. That's me. All of it. I have Sensory Processing Disorder, which accounted for the sensory part, but wow. It's all me. I took the self test, and I got a score of 24. All I needed was a 14. Wow.

Ahh i just saw your comment on mindfruits piece - we're finally going to get to see YOU??? happy thanksgiving btw :D

Re: Thank you!!

• books4life

and happy thanksgiving!! :)

• books4life

re: oh no worries. i would tell you like exactly but since these comments are public i'll just say that i live in the south of the u.s. lol :)

• Jasmine khawar

Re: i love you too!! Thanks a lot!! And happy Thanksgiving <333

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!! :D And omigosh that just made my morning hahaha. I did raise him well, though, if I do say so myself.

• Jasmine khawar

Re: ahh thanks <33
    Yes, its hard to be HSP......disturbance with the crowd, loud sounds, social anxiety. I'm still trying

• mindfruit

Thanks for sharing this! I don't think I've told you this before, but I'm a Boy Scout :), so I really appreciated this! I absolutely agree, the American Flag is a special, reverent thing, and we should definitely respect it.
    Re: Aw, thanks! I'm really thankful too that I have amazing friends like you who can help me get through hard times :) Btw, tell Zion that my favorite Cars character is Guido. Yep, I've been reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and KOTLC 8.5 (and there's another Sanderson book at my house. I'm trying to read everything at once lol). my school didn't give us two weeks off :(, I had to go to school last Monday and Tuesday (but we got two days off for Veterans' Day so it kinda cancels out). And thank you for the offer! I think I'm good so far, how about instead you review one of the pieces of the newer people on the site? And never be sorry to add another comment to my pieces, seeing the notifications tab light up always brightens my day :) Merry Thanksgiving!

• ~madeline~

Re: yeah, that makes sense... Hm.. idk.
    Also random thought: pretty sure I dreamed about you last night that we were doing a collab but I have no idea why lol. Kinda wierd kinda great XD

• books4life

re: thank YOU so much!! hahahaha. i've been in gs for forever, since i was in kinder, so this would be also be my ninth year too cuz i'm 14! :)

• ~madeline~

Wow!! This is super educational and informative! I love it :)
    Re:tysm!!!

Re: Thank you. Lol I didn't exactly get a choice in the matter tbh. It was just like "Oh hey I'm writing now".

• Busssy.Beee

Re: my bday is 5/25, and it sometimes falls on Memorial Day, so like this piece is so relevant lol. XD

• books4life

OMG you are a girl scout too????!!!! i just completed my GIRL SCOUT SILVER AWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *this is crazyyy* my project was actually advocating for literacy in an underserved school nearby and i got over 1,000 books donated!!! :) you got this!

• Busssy.Beee

Re: hm, im in vacation rn in cancun, but on Thanksgiving, i think just chill and spend time w/ family. oooh, and I just finished reading on beth r.'s piece that you're turning 15 soon. Are you excited for that?

• Busssy.Beee

Re: oh i almost forgot abt Thanksgiving :O anyway, happy early Thanksgiving too!! Are you planning on doing anything?

• Busssy.Beee

Re: you deserve all the world's support! ;)

• Busssy.Beee

This is a very very well written informal piece. I love the word choice and directions. niceeee!

• Rose A(hiatus)

Wow, I had no idea this was how you retire a flag! My great grandfather served in the military as a bronze star medic for quite some time, so this was a very meaningful piece for me.

Wow, thank you for writing this! I didn't know any of it before, and I'm glad that I do now.

• AliMuscles04

Re: thanks!