Peer Review by Josephine O'Grady (United States)

10 Essays by Dennise

By: Dennise

1. Speak slowly if you can and take care with every word.
  2. Don't tell your children you're listening when you're at the computer.
  3. When someone says I'm sorry, say I forgive you.
  4. When you say I forgive you, sometimes you can tell the person was never sorry in the first place.
  5. When your child says Mommy, can I tell you something?  Look at them and listen the whole time.
  6. Touch people with disabilities. They don't get touched with love very often; they're too busy being taught.
  7. At the end of a bad moment, remember that you can turn on the faucet and get clean water.  Drink some and be glad.
  8. Remember that just because everyone's doing it, you don't have to.  Ever.
  9. Write in a diary and don't call it a journal. That way you'll be honest.
  10. Read the obituaries in your local paper at the same time each week and remember that people loved them and they were once somebody's baby.

Anyone ever write a six-word memoir? Doing this felt a little like that. Do any resonate?

My favorite essay was the one about taking care to touching people who have disabilities with love.

It speaks to me on a personal level because I have a brother who has Asperger's, but also on a universal level because many people don't understand those who have disabilities, so this 10 second essay can speak to those people as well.

These are interesting essays. Though they stand together, as one piece of writing, they stand alone, too, and each one is unique. I hope to see some more of your writing soon.