chrysanthemums&ink

sʜɪɴᴇᴇ's ʙᴀᴄᴋ
sʜɪɴᴇᴇ's ʙᴀᴄᴋ
sʜɪɴᴇᴇ's ʙᴀᴄᴋ
ʙᴀᴄᴋ, ʙᴀᴄᴋ, ʙᴀᴄᴋ, ʙᴀᴄᴋ

AGAIN, IF YOU AREN'T A FAN OF REPULSIVE OR DISGUSTING IMAGERY, THEN PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

typos? i checked this pretty vigorously tho. kind of crossposted bc i had nothing else. peer reviews especially welcome.

skin stars, supernova (check footnotes first)

14

stardust pours out of my scalp, bred from hidden pustules and
bug bites: my mind and my body. shiny fingertips skim across
the surface; three red-white blisters line my forehead in a
baby skin constellation, injected with custard cream, bloated
pink bubble wrap impurities. it bulges like a distressed pupil,
torched until straining under the stretched eyelid, socket
pooling with hot, transparent soup. 

i squeeze it all free, call it vengeance and call it maturity. in a
combustion, sorrow spurts from the boil, bursts like a young
firework. the supernova weeps and dies in the womb it was
birthed in, choking on the sky it didn’t get to see until its
fingers were being shoved down its throat. pale aluminum
sheets pressed until you can see the folds, red floods out,
swallows itself and mixes into the clear tear. 

i spit into a cup and rub until it stings; aloe vera gel turns yellow
after ten minutes in the heat. the tissue crumples in the clenching
mouths of dying stars, filling and emptying in the same breath. the
red river gurgles when the plug is pulled; the stars splatter across
my forehead and omit a sour fragrance. i wipe it away and bring it
up to my flared nostrils.  

smells like stardust.

*a friend of mine told me that you might not want to be eating while reading this. definitely isn't meant for light reading (the themes aren't particularly heavy, but the descriptions are... a lot). if you aren't a fan of disgusting and repulsive imagery, you probably shouldn't read.* 

will probably be taken down when i figure out what to do with it. (i'd like to submit it someplace but uh... it isn't exactly too "submittable".)

• November 25, 2020 - 5:24am (Now Viewing)

• Love, Rose

damn this is stunning

Re: thanks so much for the comment it made me proper happy.

re: awww your comment made my day!! so glad you liked my piece <3 i've been on a bit of a short story kick lately, but i kinda miss my poetry... sigh. inspiration is a weird thing, huh. your comment on my poem made me smile so much <3
    anyways, hope you're doing well! :) happy writing <333

Re: Wow. Thank you so much. That really means a lot to me, especially coming from you.

Re: Aww thank you. Sometimes it feels like people don't notice the individual things, so I appreciate you saying that.

• em wilder

just echoing the comments below.... woah. the imagery and the emotions... so intense but beautiful and somehow relatable.... yes, you should submit this to a competition/lit. mag! i love it <3<3<3

• Wisp

Replying: Aww, thanks so much! And don't apologize, I'm just glad you've read some of my pieces! Thanks for being one of my paper cranes :)

• madeline3.14159

UMmmmMM.... wow. It's so intense and I love it so much. It's not pretty or dainty in any way, but the power makes it so much more poignant. I cannot express how much I love it XD :)

• Wisp

The imagery is absolutely stunning, I know you said it was repulsing/disgusting, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. There was something so poignant within the imagery that just illuminated the piece even more. To mirror Ibex, you should definitely submit this somewhere, and don't worry it's submittable in all the right ways.

• Ibex

honestly, just submit it to every contest ever... the imagery may be intense but that just makes the poem so much more beautiful

• ava09 (sorta back)

super vivid yeah - not necessarily in a bad way though. the last sentence all by itself is super powerful and provides such a stark contrast to the rest of the piece imo. i keep going back to read it again haha. simply stunning. <3

• everythingbagel (the cliffhanger goddess)

I read this while eating-
    but hey, I loved it anyway.

Wow this is really vivid imagery! I really like it though. :)) especially the first paragraph—it set the poem up so well!! Amazing <3