mindfruit

he/him | taiwanese-vietnamese
15
Catholic
basketballer and pianist
artist (sometimes)
community ambassador alum

est. July 7th, 2020

Hey

Currently Listening To:
All Mine by Kanye West

Want a review? Just ask :)

Promises

Ships at a distance have every man’s wish aboard. Hopes and desires, hopes and desires. Reality is often disappointing. But for the moment, when all is still out of reach, and the future carries no promises of what is to come, let us dream. Let us dream….

“I can’t believe that you’re leaving tomorrow,” Lily whispered, trying to keep herself together. The night air was crisp in the San Gabriel Mountains, but luckily they had brought blankets.

“I know, it seems to have all gone by so quickly. I wish we had more time,” Eli exhaled, gazing at the city lights. “I’ll miss you so much.”

Lily trembled, a single tear gliding down her freckled cheeks. She wiped her face and glanced at the ground. How could she ever form her emotions and thoughts into words? I’ll miss you too was an understatement. In the past few months, Eli had become more than just her boyfriend. He had become a part of her, as essential as air or water. She needed him. And now he was leaving? Lily didn’t know how she’d be able to live with that, much less return to her normal life.

“Hey, hey. It’ll be alright, okay?” With a gentle hand, Eli turned her face so that she was facing him. “Don’t think about that. Don’t think about anything. Just enjoy our time together right now.” Lily nodded quietly, and for several moments, all was silent. Then Lily looked up and her eyes widened.

“The stars are beautiful tonight,” she breathed. The sky was full of them, dancing and winking in the distance, like playful children. She had never seen so many in her life.

“Yeah. Yeah they are,” said Eli. “They came out for us.” He gave her a small, sad smile and hugged her closer. “Hey, can you promise me something? On nights like this, when everyone is asleep, climb onto your roof and just watch the stars for a moment. And know that I’ll be watching them too, no matter how far apart we are. Can you promise me that you’ll do that? Can you promise me?” Lily turned around and found him staring at her with those aqua-blue eyes she’d fallen in love with the day they met. So piercing. So intense. So determined. She swallowed and nodded.

“I promise, Eli. From the bottom of my heart, I promise….”
Credit to Zora Neale Hurston’s “Their Eyes Were Watching God” for the opening line.

• November 23, 2020 - 11:02am (Now Viewing)

• ANSON REYNOLDS

soooooooo, I did the same prompt...... and I was wondering....... would you look at it? pls? I tried to write in a COMPLETELY different style than I usually do and I'd really like some feedback. Thank you sooooo much! (ps, I love mindfruitcake, it's really cute XD)

• ANSON REYNOLDS

I teared up like halfway through this and then I was like, stop it Anson you're being emotional, but I couldn't help it because it was written so well :')

Re: aw, you’re a Boy Scout?! That’s awesome! I’m so glad you liked the piece! Thank you for the comment!
    Haha, I’ll tell Zi! XD And I’m very thankful for this website giving us the chance to talk! I think it’s great with everyone feeling so isolated that we can talk here. I’m so thankful to be able to make so many friends here. I think it would be cool if WtW set up a pen pal program. It’s fun to write letters (in my opinion). I used to do it with my cousin, but she’s been really busy recently. So if you ever need a pen pal, I’ve got an availability! ;D Actually, I think it would be so fun for more teens to do that. It’s a great way to get to know someone who lives in a different part of the country/world.
    Alright, sounds good about the review! Just let me know if you ever need one tho!
    Also, so you know, I’m probably going to temporarily change my pfp to a picture of myself...... I think it’s probably about time people on here see what I actually look like!
    Thanks, I always love getting notifications too! And awesome, maybe when I finish the book we can discuss it!
    I think that was all for now! Happy Thanksgiving!

• books4life

OMG I LOVE THIS SO MUCH YOU NEEED TO WRITE MORE OF THIS STORY IT IS INCREDIBLE!!! sorry for the all caps but this story was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hey, Con! I’m sorry to bug you with another comment, but I wanted to ask if you needed any reviews or anything? I always see you doing them for other people, since you’re a CA (and just because you like to help others). But I’m off school for the rest of the week, so I’ll have a bit of extra time. If you’d like me to review any, don’t hesitate to let me know! Happy early Thanksgiving, brother! :)

Ps. Hey! I was just curious how long your Thanksgiving break is? I know some of the schools around here get TWO WEEKS OFF this year, but I’m sure it’s different in different states...

• mooncake

Yes king!!!

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

This is so emotional and awesome. It is so touching and sad but beautiful! Great job!!!

Wow..... this is amazing. The detail is incredible, and the descriptions are gorgeous. Even the names hint at the beauty of the piece. I love this so much!

Oooh this is really really good. You zoomed in on this moment perfectly while adding suspense for the future. Well done!

oh my word! I love this! you leave the reader with enough detail to get the gist of the story, but still leaves them wanting more and more!
    also that line about going to the roof--almost made me cry. Absolutely beautiful <33

Woah this is beautiful... so goooood :D
    and the in depth descriptions... "The sky was full of them, dancing and winking in the distance, like playful children" "a single tear gliding down her freckled cheeks." ahh