abi's pov

United States Minor Outlying Islands

WtW's resident disappearing act

a WtW vet

tbh, i forgot exactly when i joined - late 2019

okay, I have no motivation to write anything, but my birthday is week from now (the 28th) and I am SO not excited for it. I mean, birthdays are great and fun, but I miss people and I miss having friends because covid has put a lot of distance between me and my friends and we aren't really even close enough to be friends any more so i'm just bleh about the whole thing. I've been trying to think about fun things I could do, but birthdays, at least to me, lose their glitter when you have no one to spend them with. I have family, yeah, but I see them everyday so there's not as exciting to hang out with. They're plenty fun, but they're not my best friends. geez, this is getting sad. Anyway, there's my rant. I'm probably going to delete this later or whatever.

stay cool, stay safe,
your proud-of-you WtW older sister

a short, messy piece about birthday blues because when you're having an existential crisis a week before your birthday, scatter sprinkles on the pages of your journal

12
i'm a deer in headlights

as candles flicker in front of me;
as close family sings around me;
as i miss the phantom touch of your hand grasped in mine.

the memories of you drip like wax down a melting candle.

birthday cake tastes like your chapstick;

it's sickly sweet 
like your honeyed voice,

and yet, i still hope you'll call,

[even though i know you won't].

• madeline3.14159

I get it. My birthday was last week and I didn't see anyone... Just a few birthday texts. It's hard but hopefully next year it'll be better. :(

• rwong

awww i'm so sorry! maybe if it's okay to be outdoors with just a few friends? i'm not sure about the rules where you live but i guess there's no harm in asking
    anyway sending all my love and hugs and happy early birthday <3 <3

Awww. I'm really sorry. My birthday was during the prime of COVID in India, so I didn't get to go out anywhere, when I usually go out for lunch. I basically sat in front of the TV and binge watched Netflix all day.

But one thing all of my friends started doing, and something you can try to feel a bit better: We make short videos for every birthday. We record about thirty seconds of us talking about the birthday girl/boy, send it to one of our friends who edits it all together, and then we have a virtual meet, where we show the video, play some stuff, like an online scavenger hunt (It's super fun, if you wanna know the details I can give to you in another comment), and then sometimes the birthday boy/girl will have cake, so they cut it while we sing. it isn't as good as an actual birthday, but it's better than moping around all day.

• HermioneGranger67

Happy almost birthday! Maybe if you have a large-ish outdoor space and a fire pit you could invite a few friends over and have s'mores outdoors- while still staying socially distant!

• Rohan’s Defender

Awww, this is so heartbreaking! I’m so sorry! I’ll be praying for you. Maybe you could find a way to still party with them. I hope you have a happy birthday though! And I do t believe we’ve talked before; I’m Eden!

• sci-Fi

I'm sorry. My birthday was back in april and I didnt get to see any of my friends either. But today was my best friends birthday and our parents let us go to the mall! Maybe you could do something like that?

• AbellePuppy34

Don't delete this! I love it! And that sucks that you can't see your friends. Dare I say it, Zoom party with them? So not the same but still, it's something. I posted a piece on what I'm doing for Thanksgiving, and it might cheer you up a bit. Check it out? :)

Aw, that sucks. I'm sorry you're struggling with this. My birthday was in September, and we had an outdoor gathering with very few guests and prepackaged food. Do you think you and your friends would be comfortable with that? Just a thought.