In Which Yaya Writes

^Tully My Chick^
Lil sis calls me Yaya
[ChildOfGod]
Reading
Drawing
Writing
Singing
Dancing in Public
Homeschooled
PK
Podcasts•Classics•Thinking•Learning
Moving to Africa
McMann~Rowling~Dashner~Sutherland~Leonardo~Sanderson~Anderson~Wood

Wrote this a few days ago. As I said, I'm not a poetess XD. But I'm working on it! Although I've heard it's better to hone in on your skills than to struggle through with your weaknesses and ignore your strengths. What do y'all think?

Beauty in the Books

7
Here we write,
and we all read books.
We take up the fight
to grow our fandoms.

Sometimes we whiz through them,
reading 10 in a week.
But when we stop and look through them,
we'll see beauties untold.

We open the pages,
and ah! the smell is so wonderous.
Pages with knowledge and scenes upon ages,
and ages.

In simple black and white,
is a world full of color.
Authors show their might
with stories so vivid.

The feel of those books,
so smooth and crisp. It's more than just looks,
it's the feel of worlds unknown.

The voice so clear,
writer and character.
They both whisper in our ears,
and shout with the power of fantasy.

Oh, those books,
they bring back old times.
Masterpieces on which we are hooked.
There is beauty in those books.
Word Count: 138 

Decided to write about something ordinary that I see every day but that is beautiful. And books are certainly all three of those! 
I believe the style here is ABAC, although I rarely do poetry. Rhyming is hard for me, and not all of this is perfect, but, hey, at least I tried XD. Oh, and I just saw, the last 4 lines are ABA-ishA XD. 
Welp, I hope you still like it!

re: wait really? that's really interesting that you relate so much. yeah, i used to have an electronics limit, but it kind of slipped away and wasn;t enforced. plus, with so much learning online (my school is in hybrid, so i get to go 2 days a week) it kind of was pointless.
    exactly, on the whole opinions/faith thing. i want to have the courage to do that, but... you know. i think it would be easier for me to share with someone i didn't really know, but talking about it with my friends who aren't Christian just intimidates me. I mean, only one of my close friends isn't Christian (she was Mormon but I don't really know what she is now, and I don't think she does either) but I wish i was more bold yet not preach-y. you know that saying, "your life might be the only Bible people ever read." well i try to act and show that. because let's be honest, it's not helpful to go around carrying a stack of notecards with verses and throwing them at people, telling them to convert before they burn in eternal suffering. what i hope, i guess, is that people will something different in me than in non-Christians, and they ask me.
    nope, you're def not the only one. testament to the power of writing for showing you that you are not alone in feeling guilty for being blessed.
    oh yes, i don't think i used to do this, but in the last year or so, everything is, "if were were in a book right now," or "if this was a movie, dramatic music would pick up and then cut scene."
    whoa, you've been asked if your sister is your daughter?! and if you are your mom? and if you're in college? (well, that one kind of makes sense) but that's insane. you must be very elegant and mature. since getting contacts, i look older, and my family always tells me how grown up i look, but that's family. although the way i dress and do my hair makes a big difference. it makes a big difference for everyone, actually. i think my height might have something to do with it XD (5'1" and... not growing.)
    thank you! i didn't even think of the frozen song, but i did love that one. a really good message. frozen 2 was pretty epic. might have been better than the first one... but i haven't seen the first one in years. except for part of it on tv a few months ago when i came into the living room to see my dad watching it. alone. it could have been a great meme.
    anyway, i'm so glad i was able to talk to you again! i can't believe it's been 20 days. however, i may not get back to you, since i'm going on hiatus. more to follow on that. merry christmas and happy new year!

re: took me forever to find this comment! i was about to announce my hiatus, but i'm gonna reply to you cause it was a pleasantly detailed comment.
    i actually don't know what to write back because i was asking questions and introducing new topics last time, but now it's like we've both replied to stuff already... sorry, brain is running in circles.
    i love all the books we talked about, and i could prob keep talking about them, but i don't know what else to say here. except: what do you mean how many times i cry when i read the simple art of flying?! ahh no!
    yep, public school. i really like it, but i can see why it's not for everyone. still, it is good to hear all the different perspectives. my history teacher is actually really good about being objective. we've covered the three monotheistic faiths, and she presented them all factually and without bias.
    and yes, i agree about choosing to focus on the good. i love long comments, don't worry.
    ooh! ambedo and anemoia are not technically "real" words... they're from the dictionary of obscure sorrows (dos) and it's the most amazing thing! i loooooove it. basically, this guy started creating words to express feelings we can't always explain. his definitions are pretty poetic. some of them are based on root words and etymology, but i'm not sure if all of them are.
    ambedo
    n. a kind of melancholic trance in which you become completely absorbed in vivid sensory details—raindrops skittering down a window, tall trees leaning in the wind, clouds of cream swirling in your coffee—which leads to a dawning awareness of the haunting fragility of life, a mood whose only known cure is the vuvuzela.

anemoia - n. nostalgia for a time you’ve never known
    Imagine stepping through the frame into a sepia-tinted haze, where you could sit on the side of the road and watch the locals passing by. Who lived and died before any of us arrived here, who sleep in some of the same houses we do, who look up at the same moon, who breathe the same air, feel the same blood in their veins—and live in a completely different world.
    There are many more words that are just... perfect. definitely check it out! i can't wait for a print version to come out.
    oooh, dragons and christmas! sounds fun!
    hahaha no worries. i'm gonna do another comment here to reply to your first one XD

oh gosh this is amazing!! "not a poetess" pfft--thats a lie! I love the imagery, the rhythm, absolutely everything about this is amazing!!
    really well written!!!

alsooo...Chapter 2 of On the High Seas has been published!

also, totally agree with madeline. i love that quote! . 'poetry/writing(can't remember which) should make the clear unclear and the unclear clear.'
    i've surely heard that somewhere. if i had to guess, i'd say that poetry should make the clear unclear and writing should make the unclear clear. since poetry is usually more ambiguous, emotional, and can be interpreted many different ways. and poetry doesn't have to rhyme! anyone can write poetry and be a poet/poetess if they want.

Ah, the magic of books! Well done! I actually went to a bookstore yesterday, and it was heavenly. I wanted to stay and soak up the bookness forever.
    Re: That is so cool that your siblings helped! Aw, they sound adorable. Ooh, can’t wait for your new pfp. I can’t believe your library was so small! What a travesty. But I’m glad you’ve read Wings of Fire! I’m not all caught up ( I haven’t read The Poison Jungle) but I’ve read all the other main ones and the Darkstalker story. It’s really cool/creepy to see his original character and how he evolves. And I love the original dragonets! Clay is so relatable, Glory’s book was my favorite in the original arc, and I’m probably a mix of Starflight and Sunny with a dash of Glory. I still can’t stand Anemone, but Turtle is so pathetically sweet and also brave. But I will always adore Qibli. With a passion. He’s one of my favorite characters in the whole series. Kinkajou is just adorable, Winter is intriguing, and Moon is… well, I don’t particularly love her, but she’s a good character. I love Cricket from the Pantala arc; she’s so relatable! Ok, I’m done, (GLORY AND DEATHBRINGER 4EVER!)
    As for HP… oh boy. That was the first series I ever really got into, way back in 1st grade. I know, that seems really young. And a lot went over my head, I know. Hey, why do you get Neville? No fair! I guess I’ll take one of the twins. (Pretending they both survive in my head.) But I wouldn’t say no to Dean Thomas… Or Bill. Bill is cool. Even if he’s a little old for me. Ooh, The Unwanteds! Gosh, I LOVED those, but I def need to reread them. It’s been awhile. They were so neat and interesting. I loved them, but I only recall bits and pieces. I’ve never heard of Francine Rivers, but the books sound fascinating. I’ve heard of The One and Only Ivan, but I don’t think I’ve read it. Wing and Claw, I started those, but haven’t read beyond the first book. I wasn’t super into them. But the bat was pretty cute. The Missing sounds interesting tho. You listed so many books, so I’ll just say: I haven’t read or heard of any of the others except for Hunger Games, Maze Runner (I think I read them all?), Serafina and the Black Cloak (those were really good; I think I’ve read the first two or three), LOTR (well, I’ve listened to them on CD like 3 times, so that’s pretty close), and a few of the Dear America books, maybe? Actually, I was more into the Royal Diaries. Basically the same, same publishing company, but of royal figures in the past. I haven’t read all 20, but I’ve read most of them. The series covers Elizabeth I (England, 1544), Cleopatra VII (Egypt, 57 BC), Isabel (Spain, 1466), Marie Antoinette (Austria-France, 1769), Anastasia (Russia, 1914), Nzhinga (Angola, Africa, 1595), Kaiulani (Hawaii, 1889), Lady of Ch’iao Kuo (Southern China, 531 AD), Victoria (England, 1829), Mary, Queen of Scots (France, 1533), Sondok (Korea, 595 AD), Jahanara (India, 1627), Eleanor (France, 1136), Elisabeth (Austria-Hungary, 1853), Kristina (Sweden, 1638), Weetamoo (Massachusetts-Rhode Island, 1653), Lady of Palenque (Mesoamerica, 749 AD), Kazunomiya (Japan, 1858), Anacaona (Haiti, 1490), Catherine (Russia, 1743). I’ve not read Eleanor, Elisabeth, Krisstina, Weetamoo (maybe? I don’t remember), Lady of Palenque, Kazunomiya, and Catherine, but I loved the others. And I have several of them. Anyway, I will bookmark that piece so I can go back and write down all these wonderful titles!
    The Simple Art of Flying… hm, that sounds so lovely and delicate. That’s going on my list for sure.
    Ha, that must be a nice science class. I can’t tell with my science teachers, if they’re religious or not. Which, obviously, is kind of the goal, since teachers aren’t supposed to influence you on that stuff. I like my science teacher, since she threatens to drop kick the annoying guys and makes jokes and offers hot cocoa and tea. Your teacher sounds pretty cool also! I don’t think I’ve heard of Ken Ham, but I am starting to read The Genesis Record (I prob already said that.) I’ll have to listen to Matthew West’s song! He has some great music.
    And yeah, there really is so much to be thankful for. There’s a lot of terrible things in the world, and there’s no denying that, but there are also a lot of wonderful and good and beautiful things in equal measure. I’m not going to ignore problems and hardship and crime, but I don;t have to focus on it.
    Anyway… thanks for the long comment! I love having these conversations.

• Rohan’s Defender

Aw, this is so so great and so so TRUE! I LOVE THIS!
    Re: awww! Thank you so much! I’m so happy you liked it!
    We are very very blessed here. And I’m so thankful for all my amazing friends like you! And I’m flattered that you thought of my piece about the singing! :) You made my night with your comment! I hope you are doing well!

re: if you have an idea, then go for it!!! But fon't force the storyline. Who knows...if you have no ideas now, put it in a box/folder/whatever and save it for that rainy day when you do have an idea <3

• ~madeline~

this is great Yaya!! I definitely think you are a poetess like everythingbagel said. Honestly, I think it's important to improve both strengths and weaknesses. I guess it depends on your overall goal. One quote about poetry that really helped change the way I looked at it was this. 'poetry/writing(can't remember which) should make the clear unclear and the unclear clear.' I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere on WtW so credits to whoever made it up. sorry I cant remember. But that really changed the way I look at poetry and made me enjoy it a lot more. IDK.

• everythingbagel (the cliffhanger goddess)

dude you're totally a poetess. i loved this piece.