Stone of Jade

~ 17 she/her ~
Aspiring writer and artist. Completely awestruck by night skies. Apart of many, many fandoms ;) Reader, journaler, collector.
~ pilot pens and beat-up notebooks ~
one half of the locket
discord LexLuthor#8769

As promised!
I am republishing this first section because my entry for the contest had a lower word count than the original intro. So this is the first "official" chapter of On the High Seas!

This is a short story so there will most likely be 7 chapters--unless I break a chapter up depending on length.

I hope you enjoy reading!! I'm super excited to share this story with you guys. This is my second COMPLETELY finished (short) story--I legit finished it this morning ;)

The format for this story focuses on telling the tale through flashbacks. If it gets confusing please let me know so I can revise the story so it is more clear.
--
If you would like to be updated when I publish this series LMK in the comments.
If I have updated you and you don't want to be updated--sorry my bad. Just let me know and I'll take you off the list (no offense taken)
--
chapters will be posted either once/twice a week--depends when I have time :)

On the High Seas | 1

14
A cool breeze carried the smell of saltwater and seaweed towards Ladell. Colors from all ends of the earth decorated the market. Carts and stands displayed all types of exotic fruits, spices, woven baskets and delicate silks. By mid-afternoon, the square was crowded, making it difficult to stay alert. As Ladell finished her errands in the market, she felt a strange tingling at the back of her neck. On instinct, Ladell knew someone was following her. Yet she didn't feel threatened--the feeling was oddly familiar. Ladell scanned the cobbled street. Whoever was following her knew what they were doing. Ladell quickened her pace.

Parconna was a small island but news traveled fast overseas, especially when it had to do with pirates. Ladell kept a wary lookout as she made her way to the docks. She took shortcuts through alleys, backtracking multiple times, in case her instinct proved true. Ladell was just nearing the docks when a hand pulled her into a back alley. 
A figure in a green cloak shoved her into the wall, arm pressed against her chest. Ladell dropped her sack, the supplies scattered over the cobblestones. 
    “So you finally decided to show your face Golden Eye,” a gruff voice taunted. A dark hood veiled his face from view. 
    Ladell racked her brain for who this could be. She’d never been to this island before. Quietly, Ladell slipped her knife out of its sheath.
    “I know why you’re here,” the voice continued. “Just couldn’t help yourself, could you?” The man sneered as he pressed Ladell harder into the wall, his cotton sleeve scratching her neck.
    Ladell exhaled, which loosened the grip on her chest. She slammed her knee into her attacker’s gut and pushed forward. The man crashed to the ground. Ladell jumped on top of him, her knife blade delicately poised above his throat.    
    “I don’t play around,” she hissed. “Who are you?” Ladell pressed against her attacker’s chest, but drew back, confused, when the man started laughing. He raised his hands above his head, showing he had no weapon. 
    “I surrender,” he said. Still laughing, the figure reached slowly and pulled back his hood, revealing his face. “Come on, Ladell. You know me.” 

Now unveiled, Ladell recognized the familiar smirk, shining eyes, and scar that stretched across his nose and onto his left cheek. 
    “Tallis?” Ladell was shocked. Under the hood was her childhood friend and first partner in crime. Ladell scrambled to her feet, pulling Tallis off the sand-crusted street “What were you thinking? I could have killed you!”
    Tallis shrugged as he brushed the dirt off of his clothes. “I saw you in the market, and wanted to say hello.”
    “There are easier ways to do that--ways that don’t involve being mugged in an alley!” Ladell tried to stay mad at her friend, but she was too happy to see him. She gave him a hug. “Tallis Kent! It’s been years! I haven’t heard from you since the Mayborne job! What’s the Swindler been up too?”
    “Oh, you’ve heard about me?”
    “Almost everyone knows who you are now--we’re not small town criminals anymore.”
    Tallis laughed, “I’ve been travelling a good deal, seeing the world, meeting all sorts of people.”
    “So the usual? Stowing away on ships, stealing whatever pleases your eye, becoming enemies with the richest men alive?” Ladell saw right through his sugar-coated words. They had been in partnership for years, she knew Tallis would have gotten himself into all sorts of trouble by himself.
    “Yea, something like that,” Tallis smiled. “I heard you made a name for yourself. Golden Eye fits you nicely, and not just because of your thievery skills,” he winked. “So tell me! What brings the captain of the Manta to the Parconna Islands?”
     “We needed supplies and Parconna was the first island we came across. My crew is headed towards Conquest Reef. What about you? Is this the only place you aren’t wanted?”
    “For now,” Tallis said. “I have a small job. Have you ever heard of the Coral Globe?”
    “Tallis, keep your voice down!” Ladell said sternly, suddenly stepping back. “You can’t cross Captain Colborne--not again.”
    “Oh please, I’ve met way worse than that rich captain. Besides, Mayborne was years ago. He’s not gonna remember me.”
    “No, Tallis. Boothe Colborne is the most dangerous man alive,” Ladell warned him grimly. “I raided one of his merchant ships by accident--”
    “Hold up--you raided a ship by accident?”
    “No, I raided his ship by accident. I’d have left it alone if I’d known whose it was. He didn’t stop chasing us for months. We finally lost him because of a freak storm. But the Coral Globe is his greatest pride. I raided his ship and he swore to kill me. Just imagine what wrath you’ll invoke if you steal that globe.”
    “Ladell, I have too,” Tallis implored. “You don’t understand.”
    “How did you even find out where he kept his globe? Who set you on this job?” Ladell accused. 
    Tallis looked down. “Thornley,” he whispered. 
    “You’re working for Thornley again! Son of a seagull, Tallis! What have you been doing to get roped into Thornley’s grasp?”
    “I got into a bit of trouble, that’s all. It’s nothing you need to know about. Look, once I do this job I’m free.” Tallis looked at Ladell. She could see the pain behind his eyes. Her friend had been through much in the years they’d been apart. 
    “When?”
    “Tonight,” Tallis said. “It’s an in and out job.”
    “Really? What’s your out?”
    Tallis shifted his weight between his feet. “Merchant ship?” 
    Ladell wasn’t convinced. “You won’t make it past the harbor! If you are going to steal from the richest man in this half of the world, you have to make a secure escape plan!” Ladell glared at Tallis. 
    “I know, that’s why it was such a great coincidence I ran into you!”
    “No, Tallis.”
    “Come on, Ladell,” Tallis pleaded.  “You were always the brains of the operation. One more job, just like old times?”
    “Tallis, I’m not risking the lives of my crew.”
    “Ladell, please. If I don’t do this job, I’ll be a dead man.”
    “By doing this job, you’re already a dead man. I’m sorry Tallis, I pick fights I know I can win. Boothe Colborne is one person even the Swindler can’t beat.”
    Tallis was silent for a long time. Finally, he spoke. “I understand,” he said softly. “I’m sorry for even asking. It was nice seeing you again.” Tallis feigned a smile as he turned to leave. Before he could, Ladle caught his arm.
    “Tallis, wait,” Ladell said, her voice softening. “I set sail tomorrow. I can’t help you with the job but”--she took a deep breath--“if you need an out…”
    “Thanks, Ladell.”
    “I leave at dawn, not a second later.”

1

This is great! I love the action and the swashbuckler feel. Kind of reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean but way better! I could see it published.

• Starlitskies

Oh wow! This is beautifully written! I love you characters Ladell and Talis! Their names are so pretty and the dynamic of their relationship is adorable! I noticed you've written a couple more chapters. Can't wait to read them!
    P.S. - Thank you so much for your comment on my piece!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Woah, this is so good!! I can’t wait to read more when I get a chance!! All your writing is so good, Jade! You are extremely talented!!!! :) BTW, If I ever miss any of your awesome writing, just lmk and I’ll be more than happy to come check it out!

• chasing sunsets

Sooo good!! Can't wait to read the rest of the story! Tallis and Ladell are seriously amazing examples of friends who have each other's back, even through the years. The detail and style are incredible! Love it!

• anemoia by a thread

ahhh i love this so much! please update me when you post again!
    Re: so glad you found my piece! idk exactly where it goes, and it might need to be shortened, but it was such a fun yet tense and crucial scene to write. my heart aches for both brooks and tag, my precious boys.

• Rose A(hiatus)

Yay! Can't wait to see what else you write for this! I'd like to be notified in case I'm not on the list. Super excited! :)
    Re: Yes, Braum's is an ice cream store/burger restaurant. And thank you for the compliments. :)

Awesome, would love to know about the rest!

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

I'm excited that there is going to be a whole amazing series about this (I can't say the same for my novel). Could you tell me when the next chapter comes out? Thank you, and keep on writing!

• queenie

I think I need..
    m o a r

(also, i guess i'm back on this account?)

• wil

I love the adventure in this. I also like how Ladell and Tallis interact. It reminds me of me and my friends. Please tell me when the next one is up!

• V-Rose

I can't wait for new chapters! I think I already said this, but please update me!

• books4life

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE I LOVE I LOVE I OBESSESSED! :) lmk when you post more chapters!

• AliMuscles04

Eek! I love this!
    Re: thanks! Do you want me to let you know when the other chapters are going to be posted?