Anne Blackwood

16
Poet
Singer
Theatre kid
Twin
Disabled (chronically ill)
Suspected autistic
ADHD
Highly Sensitive Person
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Update (12/31/2020): This is the last piece I need to revise before submitting it to the Scholastics! You guys know the drill, please give as much critical feedback as possible.
Update (1/1/2021): Happy New Year everyone!!

un-urban (republishing for peer review)

32

growing up / covered in dust / with no fear of the earth / the cashier greets me by name / as she scans my ginger ale / and a new leash for shiloh / no need to travel further / than my backyard / for fireflies / dancing around the fire pit
    on my first date / and half the town is rooting for us / we run away / to taste the thrills of the city / and lose ourselves / among towers of glass and steel / but we always come back / home
I haven't written in this style (with /'s) in a little while.
This is my romanticized view (bc that's basically my view of everything I don't have) of what it'd be like growing up in a more rural small-town kind of setting. SORRY to all the people who actually live in places like that and are now cringing at the inaccuracies. I know that where I am is perfectly designed for me, but I've always wished I'd been born into the other kind of life.

P. S. If you look at the first thing on my message board, I'm actually the "someone who wanted to".

• Mpm#1

You did capture some of the good parts very well. When I went on my first date everyone knew and everyone shipped us. The cashier part is super accurate too as was the part with the fireflies! This is really good Anne!

• (sk)eyesofocher

dear Anne,
    you don't really know me, but whenever I see your writing I swell inside, cause you are one of the few people on here that I consider a writing goddess. I wanted to thank you, just for being here! (that sounds weird, I know)
    happy January,
    #Januarygifting

• birthdaycandles

Re: Yeah I have to agree with you, sometimes the plot is a little bland I some books but I skipped books 3 and 6 and 7 I think, but you can more or less still get the story! But book 5 is my absolute favourite because of Captain Jim (my heart just swells thinking about that character) He’s an old sailor that Anne and Gilbert meet and he’s just a wonderful character. But yeah those books really are so great! Don’t get creeped out but I’ve vowed if I ever have a daughter in the future to name her Anne after Anne Shirley lol! I just adore the story and all the flowery daydreams!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: aw, thank you so much!!! :)

re: so, SO glad you liked my piece :) as for names, Ella is totally fine! or Ell. or Paisley XD i'm not very particular about what you call me :) love you, dear!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: awesome! Thank you so much! I’ll let you know when I get it!

Hi!

I was looking again at Wisp's #januarygifting prompt, and I wanted to let you know how thankful I am for your presence here. You're so steady, and kind, and such an amazing author! Your comments always make me smile. I feel like you're very talented at taking new writers under your wing and helping them grow - at least, that's what you did with me, it feels like! You're kind of a Mother for everyone on here, and I always admire that :) So thank you for all of your help over the time I've been here! My writing journey would never have made it this far without you <333

Hope your new year is off to a good start! Lots of love <3

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Hi, Blue! How is your new year going so far?

yasss queen republish this masterpieceeee!!!!

Chapter 7 is out for On The High Seas!!

Re: Tysm Anne! You're so sweet and SOSOSO talented too! And congrats on 300 (even tho you're over lol)

Hey Anne! I just got 200 followers!

• lochnessie

re: aNNNEEE

• Wisp

Replying: Ahh I do the exact same thing! Except I do it with books! I picked up the phrases "certainly darling" and "a grand time" from some books I read. So don't worry, you're certainly not alone!

also, i wanted to comment separately on the beauty of this piece. wow. the / are perfect, setting the flow in a solemn, yet content tone. i love the bit about /no need to travel further.../ for me, i long to travel and backpack and see the world. but those lines did hit a spot where i would be content to stay with my family, even if it means not travelling, because it is a place i love. this whole piece really shows a content love for the hometown. travelling to see new things, yet always returning. ahh....so so beautiful <3 i wish you all the best in submitting this! I can't wait to see it published one day, either in a magazine or in your growing book of poetry. i hope i can get a signed copy someday ;)

re: yea i know things like this can be awkward. im trying my best to make it "normal" without seeing to try to hard in a "leading on" sort of way. thank you so much for your comment. it was really encouraging <33

• Fariha

Re: thankyou so much! <3

• Starlitskies

"the cashier greets me by name" You've shown how close knit the community is without even mentioning it! Great work!
    Re: Thank you! And Happy New Year! <3

ps. if youre wondering how i came to this old piece.someone followed me,i tapped their profile,looked at their feed and there this piece was like

also sometimes i dont know,i feel like maybe my poetry is wrong or something i dont know.maybe it's just teenager poetry,do you know what i mean? so i was wondering if you could suggest some of your favourite poets that you love and a few that could help teach me or idk im so confused.

ps,im working on your review

DHFBJDJDJDIDGNSJHVSH this is TOO beautiful,like what the heck i want to quote every line.this is so perfect in everyway and so delicious ahhhhh jdhndudbsb i cant express how much i love this.please consider sending this piece in for your competition,i am literally in live with it.
    "on my first date / and half the town is rooting for us" jzbdjuznks please please please i wish i wrote this line so much.i wish i wrote this piece.
    as you know,i learnt everything i know about poetry on this site,and so im still very clueless about "real world poetry" if that makes sense. since i just do whatever i like,so i dont know if this is the type of piece that would do well in competions but i love it

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

Re: yeah, haha, it's rural compared to socal and bay area. and darn it, i knew i mixed those up when i was typing! i thought i'd gone back and fixed it, but evidently not. but yeah, sanguine and phlegmatic.

Re: So, I just took it. I'm phlegmatic, and my second is melancholic.

Re: So, I'm going to try the test. I'd probably get the first one, melancholic, or the last one (who's name I can't recall for the life of me.)

• Jasmin khawar

HEY!!!! I tried to describe you in this piece!!!

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

Oh i love it. i want this! i mean, i'm in a fairly rural area by comparison (i think i've talked about it w/you) but my area still has about 100,000 people. i love the imagery of this.
    unrelated: i saw your comments on mindfruit's buzzer beater piece about the 4 temperaments, so i decided to take the quiz on the website you recommended... i got a tie between sanguine and phlegmatic, with choleric a couple points behind. which is interesting because i feel like sanguine definitely fits some of me, but not all. phlegmatic makes sense for me because i'm fairly laid back, but choleric also because i am somewhat of a people-pleaser. so i guess it was pretty accurate!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

This is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! Wow! I live in the country, and it’s amazing here.
    Re: AW THANK YOU AND YOU ARE WELCOME! I’m so blessed to have you as a friend! <3333

• JustAnotherDarling

as someone who has lived in all types of towns and cities.... you're not wrong about most of these things! i'm always bumping into people i know at all sorts of random places! and if you talk about a crush, chances are, 9 out of 10 people already know him/her haha
    and writing-wise, you've written this beautifully <3 it's a perfect mix of romanticism and realism, and to me, it's warm and homely :)

• In Which Yaya Writes

Wow, I really like this! I lived in a small town one time, but we lived in the city area (literally, there were like three or four stop lights XDDD) which had.... 5 restaurants, I think. But this piece is really cool! I like imagining things like this, too. Great job!
    Replying: Of course! I can totally give feedback, if you want. I know that praise is always great but criticism leads to better writing!
    Do you mean your dad read Lake Wobegon Days? But thank you!

• Just_A_Memory

Re: it’s not your fault :)

This is so beautiful! I love your imagery, and right now I so want to go to the countryside!!!

I live in an apartment complex, and it's really big, so we have a lot of green space to walk and run around in. And the evening sky? Well, it looks like it's from an aesthetic sunset collection.

Also, what is this test everyone's walking about in the comments? I've taken my Myerrs-Briggs, and I'm an INFJ-T, but there are some words in the comments I do not seem to understand.... I would love some clarity!

• lochnessie

i also got confused and did the other quiz since it seemed to be in everyone's bios XD and i got ESFJ-T

• lochnessie

woww anne, love this!! i was confused as to what melancholic-sanguine meant in your bio so i looked it up - cool! bout to take the test you can't see the time difference lol --- phlegmatic, apparently!

• Wisp

The imagery is just so darling and quaint. There's a softness to it, like this gentle wave ringing between the lines that just makes it feel so homey. I adore it so much. The picture you've painted is just beautiful and I love how you've described your [romanticized] view of living in a rural area. I don't live in a town like that, but I go to school in that kind of small town setting and it's so sweet walking around and realizing that everyone knows one another (though a lot of them know one another---they're all these jazzercized old people drinking energy drinks--also they're old because they're essentially the only ones who can afford the housing prices there. Seriously, the price for living there should be illegal!) This is so quaint and it is totally what I would envision living in a rural area as well.
    Replying: Anne---you are the sweetest, most encouraging, most amazing person I have ever had the pleasure of meeting on this site. And your comment truly made my night, as well as your little suggestions and encouragements as well. You pour your emotions into it so well, and I cannot admire you enough for that. And do not worry that much, it's not like I despise the idea of being a pediatrician, working with children sounds delightful. It's just not my passion you know? But! I will become an author no matter what, do not worry! I'll just have it as a side hustle ;) And I'll describe my employment as 'doctor on the side'

• tas (yellowbrickrd)

re: The awards seem really cool, just checked them out (very aesthetic). I don't think they are open to international entries tho. :(

Re: Awww tysm!

Just saw a comment on one of mindfruits pieces, if you wanted to know the test said I'm equally Phlegmatic and Sanguine :)

• AstroWriter

At first I thought did was for the competition since everyone was commenting and liking this post. But then I see its free writing and I read it. Amazing! Beautifully described!

Re: oh, I didn't mean about you implying that people wanted to leave! I know a couple people like that too. I just find it funny cause all the people in my area that I'm friends with at least and have mildly "boring" lives on farms and stuff ironically love the land and would never want to leave. I just think that's funny cause in movies they always show that people want to get out of the boring town and go to the city, when in my area it's kind of the opposite with most people.

• Livsnjutare

This is really beautiful! Great piece!!

• Just_A_Memory

Re: Sorry to confuse you lol. No, I matured because I was struggling, and because I was going through a phase to get to that maturity. A different outlook. People didn’t accept that I was changing and distanced themselves, and decided they didn’t like the more mature version and up and left all together. Does that make sense? I don’t know.

Actually, this is kind of pretty accurate. I live in a neighborhood (though surrounded by woods and farmland so it's kinda weird), but I'm in and around a rural town most of the week and it can be pretty close knit in some of the small farm stands/markets where the cashiers actually do know you (if you're a regular). Though it takes a long time to get anywhere once you're out of town cause the farms are so far apart.
    As for the date, heh heh, I guess maybe my town is slightly too big (5000 people about) but I don't think anyone would notice if I or some other random person began dating.
    The other funny thing is that I don't think anyone around here actually would want to visit the city (I don't get why movies always say country people wanna see the city, I don't and neither do any of my rural/farming friends cause of all the rioting going on right now in the cities near us, plus it's kinda stifling to us).
    I love the romantic feeling about this though and the story it tells. Nothing wrong with imagining.

re: oh well... now i'm embarrassed lol! shiloh is a pretty name. and yes my life is a huge run on sentence so.... <3

awww, so sweet and deep and nostalgic and shiloh is an amazing name for your dog (i assume shiloh is your dog?) and ahhhh so beautiful! <3