crystalline•galaxies

Switzerland

| they/them |
| call me tuffy |

pfp art by @9jedit on instagram and twitter

| currently reading:| “The Iliad” by Homer
| thoughts on said book so far:| how long can achilles sulk? the answer may surprise you.

cigarettes that smell of vanilla

15
they're all wearing black leather combat boots.
laughter fills the heavy air,
curses and slurs bouncing off of bandanas.
the road is a playground at their feet;
camouflage-print shirts that carry the stench of tequila
barely visible as the motorcycles fly past,
marked solely by the sirens that follow.
heads turn and shake disapprovingly;
mothers cover their children's eyes
and pray that the new generation of youth
never turn out like these thugs.
cops sigh in resignation at the mere sound of their bikes,
silently hoping to hear the familiar sirens pursuing the rumble
so they don't have to do it themselves.
the newspapers list all the crimes they commit on the daily,
and everybody knows when to keep out of their way.
nobody likes them.
they're bad.
evil.
damnable.
obscene.

the thing they never tell you
is that their cigarettes smell of vanilla.

• Wisp

Replying: Athena, oh Athena dearest, do you know how much your comment made me sob? I am just--ahhh, you mean so much to me as well and I am in awe of your writing and all our interactions. And to say you look up to me? Hon, you have no idea how much that means to me, for you are a role model for me as well, I'm just--your comment has reduced me to a rambling incoherent disaster and I'm just smiling like a manic idiot. Just I hope you know a fraction of how much your support and gratitude and encouragement means to me, thank you for being one of my paper cranes ;) Much love to you.
    Oh gosh, I really hope you'll get better soon! I wish there was more for me to do, but for now I'll keep my fingers double crossed for you and your well-being. If there's anything you need or you just need some support, don't hesitate to send me a comment! I'm always happy to talk with you! :)

• Wisp

Replying: AHJKDAN I MADE YOU CRY???? THAT MEANS SO MUCH COMING FROM YOU!!! I just--your comment--I'm incoherent--
    But yes, I'm glad you were able to relate to it so much. It is a very real struggle that adults tend to brush past. To be expected to know your future so young is something that we should not be teaching, it should be based on passion not success. Though, I do not mind being a pediatrician that much. Working and helping children sounds like something I'd love so much. And I'm glad it was able to resonate you on that level, wishing you the best ;)

• Wisp

Replying: YES I LOVE THIS PIECE!!! There's beauty and eloquence tying it together and it's an ephemeral experience reading this. And oh my gosh! ARE YOU SERIOUS??? You have no idea how thrilled I was hearing that you reread my comments to feel motivated and encouraged!! Ahhh, you deserve so much love and support, and of course I'll keep encouraging you through comments and likes! :) (But seriously, you have no idea how happy your comment made me)

• Wisp

OH MY GOSH-
    STOP MAKING ME CRY-
    You have no right, NO RIGHT I SAY! To make me bawl like this. My heart aches and it feels so constricting to be bound to my chest. Gosh, your writing makes my heart want to fly.
    And the imagery!!!! It is so beautiful I have no words. Everything feels so whimsical, yet so lethal at the same time. The shift from something obscene to something so sweet as vanilla, is just quaint and adorable and nostalgic in a way.
    And this picture you've created of them, of disappointment and disapproval and utter fear lined into the thoughts, it illuminates everything so much more and it is truly truly darling.
    And can we just rave about that last line? There's so much sentiment and meaning in that and it makes me dream of heavenly things, despite the atmosphere of the piece itself. It's as if they paint this picture of themselves to protect others. They paint this picture so that they can be this constant in these peoples' lives. You get what I mean? Like these thugs are like this, not only because it's who they are, but simply because they want others to always be able to sigh and chuckle at them, and let the stress unravel off of their shoulders--as a meaning of reluctant relief. There's just something so pure in this piece.

• Love, Rose

Re : thanks so much, this piece is so beautiful wow

• journal.scribbles

Wow!! "the road is a playground at their feet; / camouflage-print shirts that carry the stench of tequila" I love that metaphor and imagery! This poem reminds me of West Side Story for some reason. Amazing piece!

"silently hoping to hear the familiar sirens pursuing the rumble / so they don't have to do it themselves. " !!! the picture you painted was so!! vivid!! aaah i love this sort of outlaw vibe :'D

• AJ - Izzy

wow, the elegance and personality of this piece... gorgeous <3

wow, this is STUNNING <333 i absolutely love this! you painted such a vivid picture and that last line... wow!! I love your writing!! <3

• A Rose

THE LAST LINE!!!! fijfjefjoefjoife