barelybear

- she/her
- musicals (catch me rapping along to Hamilton ✌️)
- fantasy and dystopian fiction :)
- piano + trying (failing) at songwriting ✌️
- life goal = becoming fluent in le français ☕️
- joined this gem of a site August 2020
- INFJ-A

Hi
Hope you enjoy this - I thought I’d give this prompt a go, and I recommend you do too :)

If anyone wants me to review a piece, I’d be happy to help - just comment it and I’ll see what I can do ;p

Coffee Shop

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

8
Charles had been waiting for three long hours. His foot tapped out a symphony of anxiety against the floor. It was sticky. The posters on the wall had begun to slump, seeping down from their careful arrangement and tugging at the strands of blu-tac holding them there. Coffee clung lazily to the air and the sweet-strong scent washed through the room.

Outside, the wind churned and moaned, stirring the leaves that thrashed on the ground, but the only sign of this unrest inside the little cafe was a lone light that flickered off and on every so often, each each time dimming a little with the effort. Even the sun seemed reluctant to move; the last fading rays lingered like bitter mouthfuls at the fringes of the city. Soon, caught off guard by the approaching night, they would be dragged into slumber. Sighing, Charles stood up. His chair screeched in protest against the greyed floor, so he kicked it. She wasn’t coming. 
Irritation 

1

This is absolutely stunning!

'Even the sun seemed reluctant to move; the last fading rays lingered like bitter mouthfuls at the fringes of the city' Have you ever thought of designing settings for books? You should... Though I don't know if that's a real job XD If it is though, do try it!

'She wasn't coming'. So, I did not expect that. It was so good!

Re: Thank you for your mini review! I Shall add some more grief to overlap the humor. Thank you again!

• Tula.S

just sent a review. This is amazing.

• R.j.Elsewhere

I’m extremely impressed by this piece. It’s been a while since I’ve read something which is colourful and unique while also being so gorgeously written that the very simplicity of the work is what enchants the readers. “Simple, yet delicious” is not easy to pull off when writing but you absolutely conquered the style.

• katnissromanoff

Oh my gosh, your details were amazing!! This was so well written. Fantastic job :)

• seaomelette

Wow, the imagery here was fantastic! I really got the sense of anticipation and unrest in your description of the coffee shop, and the ending just tied it in perfectly. :D