Arzu

a 14 yr old Aussie girl passionate about writing and climate change

Current fav book/series is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (aaaaaa there's no book that has hilarious and meaningless plot twists like this one)

i haven't written in a while just forewarning y'all
i'm feeling very romantic today and will probably listen to a lot of taylor swift :))

just a small bubble of love in a bustling city

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

1
Watching those two together filled Maya with the sort of warmth that felt so happy, it hurt.

The air was heavy with constant noise, and the streets buzzed with a busyness that was not quite chaotic, but it made it impossible for one to ever feel like they were exactly where should be. Fairy lights twinkled outside judgmental shopfronts, and windows were jewels on indifferent skyscrapers. The heat clung to her skin and the sky hung low above her head. As tiny raindrops infested the city, as indecisive as lovers not in love, it felt like the perfect place to cry. Those two walked on, and it was like all was right with the world, and everything beautiful was right there, in that spot. Watching something so perfect, but not really being a part, broke Maya's heart by swelling it till it couldn't grow anymore.

• ~wildflower~

Re: I haven’t actually sent the email yet, but I’m almost finished writing it and I’ll probably send it in the next few days. I’ll let you know when I get a response!
    I would like to join School Strikes 4 Climate but my dad works at my school, so I don’t think he would be on board :( . What does the group do? I know they do protests and the school strikes, but how does it actually work, and are there any other things? I’ve never talked to someone who’s a member before! I came across AYCC recently and I’m considering joining them. Would you recommend them?
    I get most of my information about climate change from the climate council website. They have heaps of really interesting facts and info and some helpful guides, and I keep up to date with climate news through their Insta page. But it would be nice to be part of something specifically for young people....
    Also, have you watched David Attenborough’s ‘A life on our planet’? It’s a documentary on Netflix about climate change that’s really good.
    Hope you’re having a good day! :)

• ~wildflower~

Re: thank you so so so much for your comment! I’ve been really unsure about that piece and, to be honest, my writing in general, and that comment was so reassuring and uplifting. It really means a lot to me.
    Also, I just read your bio, and I’m also an Aussie girl who’s passionate about writing and climate change! I’ve been spending some of my holidays researching climate change more and also writing a letter to my local federal MP asking them to oppose the government’s gas led recovery plan from coronavirus. Had you heard about that? I hadn’t until quite recently. Ahh sorry I’m just a little excited because I don’t really have many people to talk to about this kind of stuff!

• aiyanna

Ooh that hurts, this is so good. Totally achieved the whole "setting as mood" thing