The Inky Writer

Ireland

She / Her
Currently writing a book you can read a preview here https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/201676/version/414197

Welcome to my writing! Comment on a piece of mine with a link to your writing if you would like a peer review :)

Birthday Zooms

Last week was my 16th birthday.
How long I dreamed of the party I would throw, I do not know.
But then Covid came along and soon the year was flying, until it reached my birthday.
Honestly, I was in denial for a while.
I told myself there was time.
Until that time flew by too. 
Talking to my sister, we created a plan.
How often Zoom has helped these passed few months.
I've lost count.
It has swapped cries into jives.
Reconnecting families and friends from across the globe.
I had a party.
On Zoom.
The movie lagged for some people but even they had fun.
My friends from across Europe joined.
I had a brilliant time.
My party ideas changed for Covid but it worked.
People who usually could never spend birthdays with me joined the celebration.
Friends were made through breakout rooms.
Memories were made too. 
Rituals have changed.
This year has been about change.
In a good way too.

• November 11, 2020 - 9:36am (Now Viewing)

• AstroWriter

Happy Very Belated Birthday!

• AmandaLynnWrites

Happy Belated birthday! This was truly beautiful to read! I'm glad you still got to have a fun birthday despite the state of the world!

• ~Zoe N~

re: Oh, nice! Thanks yeah

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Beautiful piece with a beautiful message! CONGRATS ON WEDNESDAY WORDS!! (Though I’m quite late.... sorry!!) I’m Eden! Nice to meet you! And happy belated birthday!

• The Secret Society of Purple Iguanas of Death Online

Happy birthday! :D

• birthdaycandles

Awh this is brilliant! Congratulations on Wednesday Words and a happy belated birthday! :D My laptop has a stroke anytime I try to use Zoom so I found this fun to read lol

• Michu Crawford

Happy belated birthday. This poem reminded me of my birthday during quarantine.

• aiyanna

There have been good changes for sure.
    Happy belated birthday!

• rainydayz

re: thank you so much!

• Scorpious Malfoy

Belated birthday wishes and congo on Wednesday Words!

Congrats, congrats!! this is awesome! I totally agree, Zoom has been very helpful :D

Congratulations on Wednesday Words! I've had birthday zooms (Though we do it on google meet....) and they aren't the best, but are quite good of an alternative to not celebrating at all. Though we don't watch a movie, I love that you were able to!

And this piece was published quite some time ago, but belated happy birthday!

• Laasya Kompella

Congratulations on winning Wednesday Words and happy belated birthday!

• wavewriter

What a beautiful, relatable, and brilliant piece! Wonderful wonderful job. Happy belated birthday!

• Elizabeth Lewis

Congrats on being WtW's Wednsday Words!!! Also Happy Birthday!!! :)
    Praying for you! ("casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you." ---
    1 Peter 5:7 --- God's there for you and He loves you!!!!)

• Rose A(hiatus)

Wow, I love this! Congrats on Wednesday Words. I've never heard about a zoom birthday party. I'm glad it worked out for you.

• Just_A_Memory

So freaking sweet!

• Livsnjutare

Congrats on Wednesday words!! This is a wonderful piece!

Awwwwwww I love it! This is so sweet, and I'm glad you had a good party. Congrats on the feature! (Btw love the accent)

• AbellePuppy34

Congrats!

Congrats!! I loved your reading, and the piece too :) apparently according to ambedo & sugar cookies I've been here for a "long time", so welcome to wtw and I'm looking forward to reading more of your writing :D

• anemoia by a thread

Congrats on Wednesday words! I’m sorry your birthday wasn’t as you hoped, but I’m glad you and your fam and friends were able to make it into a great event and still spend time together.
    Also... Hi, I’m Erin! def not a WtW veteran, but I try to welcome people when I “meet” them. Just a tip that helped me hugely when I arrived here: if you want to reply to someone so they can see it, go to their page and post a comment in one of their pieces. That way, they’ll be notified. Otherwise, they’ll never know unless they come back to the piece. :) hope it helped!
    Some other writers who have been here way longer than me and could always help are Anne Blackwood, FantasyOtter12, mindfruit, SunV, Stone of Jade, sci-Fi, Paisley Blue, doodleninja, dmoral, Rohan’s Defender (Rudolph’s Defender #holidayvibes), Emi, almost flora kane, rwong, mirkat, and many I’m forgetting.

• rainydayz

congratulations on wednesday words also if you could give me some tips for a zoom party that would be great bc my birthday is this weekend and my minds come to a blank

• sci-Fi

Congrats on Wednesday Words!!!

Congrats on Wednesday words!! Its crazy how things can change so easily--but this piece is tru--not all change is bad. i love the hope and excitement you found in this piece despite the difficult circumstances. also happy late birthday ;)

• rwong

congrats on wednesday words!! i've been in that same spot as well—quarantine birthdays. but i love how you made it really hopeful and optimistic, at the end especially. well done :)

• The Inky Writer

Thank you both for the lovely, encouraging comments! They mean so much :)

I love the hope in this piece! It shows how despite the change, some good things can come out of it!

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

I love this, like love love it! Your writing style is so refreshing, it's so positive! I'm sorry you couldn't have a proper party, but cheers to you for being so creative and using zoom! My sister missed her 18th party, so we took her to Sligo for a weekend instead (when restrictions had been lifted a bit, obvs not when we couldn't go, and we socially distanced from everybody and work masks etc..) we found organizing a zoom party too much work, LOL! Happy belated Birthday!! (:

• The Inky Writer

Thank you and happy birthday! :)

• sci-Fi

Aw this is really sweet. My birthday was virtual too :( but it's okay. Like you said "Rituals have changed./This year has been about change./In a good way too."