Emi

Child of God
American
Patriot
Diecisiete
Ravenclaw
Rider of the Rohirrim
Narnian
Prydain
District 12
Chef
Gardener
Writer
Artist
Seamstress
Homeschooler
Romantic
Nerd
Archer
Rifler

"And even when you think you're finished, it's not over yet," for KING & COUNTRY, "It's not Over yet"
"All of my dirt, all of my shame drowned in the streams that've made me born again," Jordan Feliz, "The River."
"Scars come with livin,' you are not alone," TobyMac, "Scars (Come With Livin')"
"I might bend but I won't break, I'll fight the elements," TobyMac "The Elements."
"Stand tall but above it all, fix my eyes on You," for KING & COUNTRY, "Fix My Eyes"
"Run wild, live free, love strong, you and me," for KING & COUNTRY "Run Wild."
"One by one we will call for a ceasefire...one by one, reaching out to our enemies" for KING & COUNTRY, "Ceasefire."
Currently reading Dubliners by James Joyce

My Friend Emi

10
(I hate jumping on bandwagons but this prompt was good so I did).

My friend Emi is about seventeen, with olive-toned skin and dark hair that she typically leaves in a Dutch braid curling down her back for three days on end. She recently made the stupid decision to cut her own bangs three days before a college visit, so she's hoping she can just put a barrette on them and her mother won't notice. In general, most of her cool and happiness revolve around her mother not noticing. Their relationship is neutral at best and strenuous at worst. Nevertheless, Emi loves her mother and tries to please her in all things, because she recognizes her mother has lived twenty-four years longer than she has and probably knows a lot more about life. Even if they don't always get along.
    Emi has too many siblings to count, but she gets along all right with most of them. Her younger brother is one of her best friends, and she knows she can always confide in her youngest sister. Her middle sister and youngest brother could be closer, but she's still working on that.
    Emi has a few female friends who live forty minutes or more away, but most of her friends are male because that happens to be the demographic that live only a mile or two over in the farmland. She plays air soft with these fellows, and laughs with them and cracks jokes. She secretly feels that it is easier to be friends with boys than girls because boys are not very sensitive and don't really care what she says. She is a chill person herself who doesn't get offended easily and typically speaks her mind, so she really appreciates being with other kids who behave the same. Also, her crush happens to play on the team, so that is an added plus to being on it, even though it's highly unlikely any of it will work out.
    Emi works on a farm selling fruit in a market. She loves being outside on sunny days, looking out over the trees in the orchard where the apples are growing. She can list off over thirty kinds of apples, their appearances, and what most of them taste like. Her favorite one is Evercrisp, and her favorite plum is the Santa Rosa. Peaches she doesn't like because her hands get itchy from all the fuzz when she packs them, but she loves white nectarines, Bosc pears, black raspberries, and strawberries. Oh, and kiwiberries. The season is short for them, but they are delicious. So are pluots. Emi loves watching the changing of the seasons on the farm. Strawberry season is always first, then the black and red raspberries with the blackberries a week later. Then it's cherry season! She loves the dark cherries and the Rainier cherries too. Apricot season comes with it. After that comes the peach season, with so many different varieties of peaches she can't remember them all, only the difference between the white and the yellow peaches. Nectarines are in too, and then they get the plums and the kiwiberries. Pluots come with the plums, and she likes those a lot too. After that comes the busiest time of the year. Apple season. She loves and hates it. Loves, because she can get the fresh apple cider almost every day. Hates, because it is so busy and she has to train all the new hires otherwise they'll do something stupid like sniff the chlorine hose used to spray down the apples and have to go to the ER. With apples comes pears, and quinces too. She's always having to tell customers not to eat the quinces, but cook them instead. Apple season right now is winding down because it's cold, but they're still getting Fuji and Pink Lady and Gold Rush, besides the never-ending Honeycrisp and Gala and Crimson Crisp. 
    Emi tries to be encouraging to everyone and constantly positive, at least online, because she has had enough of the negativity constantly swirling on the web, and she knows first-hand how words can be like daggers. She's not perfect, and often times at home she ends up regretting something rude she said to a sibling or parents, but online at least she finds it easier to put into practice her philosophy of speaking life. Or, as her mother wisely says, "don't say anything at all if you don't have anything nice to say." She hopes that through her efforts other people can feel confident and happy about themselves and their writing.
    That's not to say Emi doesn't have her own share of disappointment and grief. She sometimes worries about the future, whether of this nation or of people in her faith. She's concerned about what college to go to, because though she is smart and could have her pick, she doesn't know which ones will be welcoming and allow her to keep her own opinions, and which ones will pressure her to conform to their ways of thinking, despite claiming to embrace diversity and "tolerance." (in her unfortunate experience, the people who claim to be the most tolerant are actually not very tolerant). There is also still a secret part of her that doesn't want to go to college, that just wants to stay here and get married and live on a farm away from all this mess, raising children and crops for the rest of her life. She's pretty low-key; she doesn't care much about money or prestige or fame. She honestly just wants a simple family life, but everyone around her tells her that it would be putting her intelligence to waste if she doesn't go to college. She doesn't even care to learn from college; she just wants the stupid degree so she can get a job. If she wanted to learn she would pick out books from the library and teach herself. That's how she's always learned, not from some stuck-up professor who pushes their mindset and lifestyle on her. Emi is not a fan of teachers. In her experience the classroom setting is very inefficient, and she is left feeling very bored and doodling in a notebook while a teacher takes fifty minutes to explain what a book could have told her in ten.
    Despite her anxiety over the future, Emi daily tries to push past that by making the conscious effort to be joyful. She doesn't let earthly feelings control her life; every morning before she does anything else she reads her Bible and lets her Father speak His word over her path and her thoughts, giving Him control of everything she does. Because of Him she can be joyful no matter what happens. 

• November 10, 2020 - 7:12am (Now Viewing)

Re: well, i do love beanies, and i recently got a cool hat but idk if i'd wear it in everyday life. and idk what tobymac wears... any other kind of fancy hat isn't known to me. XD although i love top hats and boater hats, so i guess that last statement wasn't true. i love vintage clothing, so i know about hats that no one wears, basically.
    and yeah, the colder the butter, the better. i actually put my dough in the freezer for 10-15 min after getting it flattened into a circle and slicing it. that's when i make the kitchen not look like an explosion. then i... you know what, i should just publish my scones recipe and tips and tricks on here. you gave me an idea!

Re: well that still sounds pretty cool! i know a lot of people who live on farms, raise animals, and are "country," as they would say, and it's pretty common at my school to see boots and wranglers and ball caps, even in august when it's around 100 degrees. but what am i talking about rn? idk, just rambling.
    and it's been way too long since i had snickerdoodles. i'll send you scones if you send me snickerdoodles! (i make a pretty decent scone, i like to think. the trick is frozen butter!)

also, yes, i realize i am way late to this piece and that everything below was random and discombobulated.

wow. i love how you told this in a story format. as odd as this sounds, i think you'd get along with my mom very well. she'd love to live off the grid for real, away from it all, learning by doing and in an unconventional classroom. also, the fruit sounds SO GOOD. ah sometimes i wish for a life like that! i mean, we have 5 acres and we're sort of the more rural area in an already rural, conservative area of CA, but sometimes i wish for miles and miles of fields and open space that's all mine.
    also, i love and hate wtw for this: it makes people closer through words, but most of us will never know each other irl (and we might not know it if we met) and i wanna meet so many of the lovelies on here SO BAD! i think i would really get along with you irl, just based on interests and beliefs. also, your convos w/william are pretty funny. these snickerdoodles must be THE BOMB. (also, HOW did you fit so much on your bio? it looks like way more than the character count allowed me.)

• In Which Yaya Writes

Awww, this is really sweet!! I like how you do it in the... third person, I think. I think it’s so cool that you live on a big farm like that! I want to do the same thing, maybe. I relate to so much of this... I also agree about the friend boy versus friend girl thing (although all of my friends are girls, but they’re mostly Christian homeschoolers, and I think that’s a different category XD) And I wish I knew so many fruits! I also have a big family, and feel the same way a lot. I love that you’re trying to make a positive impact online! That’s so cool! Also, could you point the way to some more of these for me :)? Great piece!
    Ok, I’m kinda cracking up from reading WilliamtheConqueror’s comments XD! I’m assuming he knows you in real life. But now I’m going to snoop on his page.... Buh bye!

• wil

Not your snickerdoodles. They would give me energy from all the sugar. With all the work we would be doing anyway to survive, we deserve a little snack.

• wil

Yeah...I'm not seeing any of us boys learning how to cook for a long time. Least not like you do. I can do toast. And eggs.
    But you're hired, definitely. That will be one thing to look forward to when I get a letter from my other dimension: getting to eat your snickerdoodles every day. : )

• Minvra

Re: Thank you.

• wil

ok, fine. whatever you say ems.

• wil

just saying...what if it's someone I know? there are seriously only a few eligible people on the team (by eligible I mean close to your age, which rules out about half the team).

• wil

isn't that what friends are for though? you'd tell your girl friends who you had a crush on, wouldn't you?

• wil

snickerdoodles sound good. or ginger snaps. don't lecture me about a job though, you're the one with a secret crush who you won't tell me who it is. : )

• JustAnotherDarling

fruit has never sounded so amazing (i mean, i like fruit enough, but you Romantisized fruit!!) and oh gosh, i feel you about the teachers; sometimes i want to just skip class and read my textbook - it'd be a better use of my time!.... but i think i am lucky because i've had some great teachers - at least, in the subjects that really matter :)
    Re: ahh yes. my aunt actually used to teach in Chicago, but in the end, it was too much for her because the majority of her students really didn't respect her - my family now lives in Spain :/
    and oof girl i feel you about the minorities. i'm southeast asian and my school is dominiately asian - it's cutthroat, man. my school is like the second-best school in georgia, but that's only because we all teach ourselves outside of class - most of the teachers are....erm....useless ;( and it's really annoying because my teachers expect less of my friend just because she's latina although SHE'S SMARTER THAN ME so she complains that her teachers don't take her seriously and that gets me mad ngl
    oops, that turned into a bit of a rant :o
    how's your day going? :)

• wil

Who is your crush? Is it anyone I know?
    Sorry, just asking.

Re: Thank you!
    Ah, sounds amazing (I'll have to bring some gluten-free cookies)! I've never played airsoft lol but I'd be willing to try.

• Rachaelgrace

This is awesome. I love learning about you, and I love the way you end the piece. I wish we lived near each other :)

Wow, I really loved getting to know more about you and learning the backstory and contexts of things I already knew. Argh you seem so awesome and I wish I could know you irl (and borrow some of your guy friends XD bc I need some [ok that sounded weird oops]).

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

This is really good! You gave a great description that's not too fast nor too slow. I think most people would write about themselves in a quick way, but you didn't. It's amazing! Keep on writing!

• maryse

This is lovely! Very in-depth character analysis for sure. I had a look at your bio and was amazed by how much of it I recognised! Newsboys, TobyMac, Lecrae, Casting Crowns, Elle Limebear, and especially For King and Country! It's very exciting to see their global influence. My personal favourite, "To the one who spoke and set the sun ablaze, to the one who stopped the storm and walked the waves, to the one who took the tree so he could say 'You matter'." (I freaking love that song!)

• Abigail Faith

Re: they actually did?! Lol! Yikes!! XD

• Abigail Faith

And I totally agree with the whole college thing... It drives me nuts!! I just want my own sweet, simple, life. And yet EVERYONE I know is up and goin' to college, and they don't understand why I don't want to go, either. Drives me nuts!! :(

• Abigail Faith

"Otherwise they'll do something stupid like sniff the chlorine hose"
    XD You had me rolling!!!!