mirkat

she/her│infp-a
est. 10/15/20

"take me with you, finished thing"
"too dizzying to love anywhere
but from a distance"

have an ineffable day!

<3<3<3

Thanks to all who have said my name is beautiful! It means a lot to me and helps me appreciate it a little bit more than usual. <3

and maybe she doesn't belong anywhere.

23

there she is.
         short brown hair.
         explosive smile.
         standing tall and sturdy. 
that's my best friend miriam.

my best friend miriam doesn't always like her name.
she says it's too old lady and jewish and
                                                            not at all like her.

my best friend miriam is full to the brim
                                      with hopes and dreams
that she thinks can never come true,
but she
           dares to dream anyway
because what else is she going to do?

her heart
              aches with the weight of the world
the unfairness of it all.

she acts tough, i know.
                        but she feels all of it.
i can tell by the slight hunch of her shoulders
                 and the occasional limp of her leg.

my best friend miriam soars to the highest height and
then she plunges down,
                               down,
                                    down to the lowest of lows.

sometimes she claims to wear her heart on her sleeve
but i somehow i can see through all the layers of
                                                                smoke and
                                                                fabric
                                  that shroud her body and mind.

my best friend miriam is beautiful.
     full lips and rich, brown hair.
     the wit and the humor of her magnificent brain.
i don't think she agrees with me, though. 
all she can see are the faults.

my best friend miriam hides away in her
                                  turtle shell. 
barely venturing out because she thinks she doesn't belong
           with me or you or anyone, really.

and maybe she doesn't belong anywhere.         

i've seen so many people trying out this prompt, i decided to do it, too! if you didn't already know, the original prompt came from poetri. thanks for this! <3

• journal.scribbles

Re: This is kinda late but thank you so much for the kind comment! It really did make me feel better about my piece.

• AJ - Izzy

re: thank you so much for the comment, for all of them! You're so amazingly supportive, and the sweetest person ever, you always make me smile :)
    This is amazing writing, and this probably echoes a lot of the previous comments, but whaaaa you have a gorgeous name!! <33

• Rachaelgrace

Oh my word. This is so so so good. I'm in awe, Mirkat :)

Re: Thanks!
    This explains epigraphs quite well.
    https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/assignments/3741

• Wisp

Okay first off, this piece is just so aesthetically pleasing, like the formatting is art--and that's before we even begin reading the piece! I love the way your development takes fold; it's not just skin deep, it goes deeper than surface level. It starts with physical descriptions and then delves into these emotions that are just so beautifully told. I love the way you've created this person, inside and out. Your descriptions are lovely and the tie in to the title is just immaculate. And Miriam is such a lovely name, seems like regality to me.
    Replying: Oh my gosh---how are you so sweet? You literally make me smile every time I read a comment from you :))) And I wouldn't change a thing about this piece, it's just brilliant the way it is.

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

Re: haha, thanks!

• ANSON REYNOLDS

re: I'm doing fine :) Honestly, I didn't think Biden was going to win bc I'm a creature of habit and change seemed really improbable to me even if it was a positive change that I wanted to happen, so I am very pleasantly surprised.

• Livsnjutare

This is really good!
    Also I made Chapter 2 of the F5 catastrophe! Here's the link if you are interested!

• Tushar Mandhan

re: lockdown gave plenty of time XD but i lost interest in the plot later.

• Tushar Mandhan

re: wow i wrote an entire essay! XD

• Tushar Mandhan

re: no you were ranting, i know it's hard to stop talking about movie making.
    So I wrote this on feature film script and submitted it but then its plot had some problems with economic aspect and then later i lost my interest in that script. SO i'm working on like a lot of scripts, i like keeping a diary for ideas and really hoping to complete them this month, so i can say that i utilized the lockdown XD.
    Ooh Greta Gerwig is fab. I love her. Honestly i don't remember how i started to love cinema, it's like as long as i can remember i've loved it and wanted to make movies. unfortunately i don't wanna have role models or stuff as i want to be unique, it's natural to get influenced by your role models, so try to stay away from such term but i do look for motivation. Like Christopher nolan. U know, he has made 3 short films during his college years but only one, doodlebug is available to public. And then he spent an year to shoot his first feature film all by himself. Isn't it fascinating?
    And then I love Wes Anderson. He has a very unique style and then Alfred Hitchcock, he's a legend. Richard Linklater is also great.
    fav movies? Following, psycho, god's own country, boyhood, before trilogy, la la land, ladybird, Se7en..........arghhhhh th list goes on and on......wait titanic, it was like artistic awakening movie for me. i have no idea why and how but titanic changed how i saw film-making. It was long back but i'm glad it happened.

this prompt is incredible but what's more incredible is what you did with it.

• Tushar Mandhan

well your name is beautiful just like this piece.
    also anemoia & lattes (#dreams of autumn) told me that you too love cinema. High five!!! I'm working on a few scripts as well.

• JustAnotherDarling

miriam is honestly such a beautiful name (i'm tempted to name one of my characters that now - if i have your permission?) and oh honey this poem just made me want to give you a great big hug! you're a constant ray of sunshine and i see you everywhere on this site, and it's lovely to see your comments first thing in the morning. i'm glad i get the chance to enjoy your writing and your overall presence <3333
    Re: thank you so so much :) my self-esteem just skyrocketed thanks to your lovely comment. oh gosh. i'm blushing a ton now hahaha

re: thank you so much!!! :) I'm thinking about writing a bunch of shorts set in the same time/place, so not continuing the EXACT same story, but kind of expanding on that world?? if you know what i mean?
    Anyways, so glad you liked it :) <333

• (sk)eyesofocher

ohhh this is amazing. I am totally going to do one of these.
    re: awww thanks! still haven't decided if I want to do more..

• that one rat from ratatouille

i’ve just about had enough with your creativity! i can’t!!! you sound so complex

• psithurism

Your name is so pretty, it sounds so happy and bright! And this poem is so good! You always stun me with your work. <3

• poetri

Miriam is literally a gorgeous name, so soft and classy and gorgeous, and judging by this poem I think we'd be good friends irl. I love the formatting of this piece, it almost seemed silky, the way it flowed. Good job! :)

wow... you definitely did this prompt justice--really, really amazing <333 wow.
    (also miriam is a beautiful name <3 )

• lochnessie

I LOVE THE NAME MIRIAM

• pyrrhic

wow. i am beyond stunned. the imagery is astonishing. i can feel the care put into every single word. i love this so much. beautiful <3

I love this!! For the record, I absolutely love the name Miriam.

• crystalline•galaxies

i can't get over how much i love this. the development from the more physical and obvious descriptions at the beginning to the more emotional and deep ones at the end really brings it all together. great work!

• rwong

ahhh this is so beautiful!! i love your name, for one—it's so beautifull!! also, i love love love the line "all she can see are the faults" i dont know that's just so powerful <3 happy writing!

Aw, Miriam is a BEAUTIFUL name. I always thought it was so pretty (something I would definitely name a daughter if I ever have one).