crystalline•galaxies

Switzerland

| she/they |
| call me tuffy |

one of my more personal pieces (yet again).

my best friend doesn't even know their own name

22
my best friend is content to watch the snow fall for hours on end,
but when they're asked to do a single task that takes a mere minute,
they can't bring themself to do it. 

my best friend says that they dance to express themself, 
but i know that that isn't true;
they dance to escape the world they live in.

my best friend calls the bugs their friends and carries them to safety.
when they find an ant laying dead on the sidewalk,
they cry until their nose runs.

my best friend wants to meet more people,
to find someone they can hold close to their heart and soul,
but they can't carry on a conversation to save their life.

my best friend is always lost in their mind,
looking without seeing,
a gentle nudge needed to bring them back to reality.

my best friend reminds me of a young child;
confused and lost in a department store,
satisfied to sit on the ground and trace shapes in the tiles until someone finds them.

my best friend smiles at a man trying to kiss his girlfriend through a face mask,
sharing what they saw with anyone who will listen
because it reminds them that love still exists.

everybody knows my best friend, calling to them in the hallways at school.
they don't respond to any of them, not because they mean to be rude,
but because they don't even know their own name.

this is a take on poetri's prompt: write about yourself as if you were your best friend
the original piece is here: "My best friend Riley gets sad sometimes"

• ava09 (angels, auroras and sad prose #holidayvibes)

okay so apparently i liked this and didn't comment?!!?! so idk what past me was thinking but anywayyyy i love this!! i especially love that last paragraph and the last two lines "they don't respond to any of them, not because they mean to be rude,/but because they don't even know their own name." that just hits harddd.
    replying: no worries! :) and thank you so much! also, the same goes for you - if you ever need anything, i'm here. <3

• Rose A. (semi hiatus)

Since we haven't met yet(and this is how I always introduce myself) Hi, I'm Rose!
    This is such a beautiful piece! You seem like such a kind person and a phenomenal writer.

re: wow, i'm astonished I got so much right!! :D so glad you liked my description :) of COURSE you're important enough to describe--you're awesome!! :) hope you're having a wonderful day!!

hi! just wanted to let you know that i wrote a piece doing the descriptions of people and you were one of them... you should check it out and tell me how wrong i was XD hope you're having a good day!

• Wisp

This is utterly sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. You honestly make me want to give you a long long hug, the ones where you hold others and rock them back and forth until eventually you fall over.
    The paragraph about the bugs is just so sweet and I love that you weep for them and call them friends. A lot of people don't like bugs (myself included) and I just adore that you care about them, it's so so so wonderful and it makes me smile at the childhood wonder.
    And the imagery of:
    "my best friend reminds me of a young child;
    satisfied to sit on the ground and trace shapes in the tiles until someone finds them."
    It's so homey and quaint. I love it so much. It's just so pure and you're making me want to hug you even more.
    You're right, this is personal. And it makes me smile. I love finding out these little things about you, it just makes me feel so happy inside.

re: i completely understand what you mean--and i agree, it's so cool that words can evoke such strong emotions! I guess maybe we're not as alone as we think we are... :) Again, i can't say enough how much it means to me that you like my poem.
    <333

• WordsSpeakLouder

Re: Thank you so much. It's very good to hear that and I wish you the best of luck with your self-discovery. It's certainly not easy, but you've made it this far and that's definitely something to be proud of.

woah... i love this so much. wow. i think this might be my favorite so far... beautiful poem. i love the stanza about the bugs--i can relate to that SO MUCH. your writing is stunning. also... the line at the end hit me so hard... i understand, like, deeply understand. wow. this really moved me. wonderful poem <333333

• WordsSpeakLouder

Re: Bugs are awesome, though it's sad that they have very short life spans because they're beautiful and it is far too easy to get attached.

• WordsSpeakLouder

'm not entirely sure if by not knowing your own name you mean you don't know yourself (1) or that you truly don't know your name yet (2) or a little of both so;
    1. that's okay, people are confusing and that includes ourselves.
    2. that's okay too. Take your time, it's an important decision. Try to pick something that fits you and makes you happy.
    Also, you sound like an awesome person. I too have an appreciation for bugs (to the point where I apologize for almost stepping on a cockroach).

• poetri

yep, still gorgeous :)

• lochnessie

re: thank youuuu
    and AHHHHH as in AHHHHH this is so GOOOOODDDDD
    because ahhhhh this is so beautiful and subtle and gorgeous