Picture?width=128&height=128

Dylan Mitchell

How can i more effectively use statistics and also am i missing an grammar

Otto Porter Deserves Most Improved Player

Over the past season, Otto Porter has improved more than any other player in the league. With that said, he is not going to win the NBA's Most Improved Player award because he does not have the statistics to show how much he has improved.

Jimmy Butler will win the Most Improved Player Award due to in increased opportunities in the Bull's starting rotation, and his improved statistical performance. His point per game improved by 6.9, rebounds per game improved by .9, and his assists per game improved by .7. With that said, his statistics were able to improve due to injuries to Derrick Rose, and his increased role in Tom Thibodeau's offense.

While Butler's statistics improved due to increased opportunities, Porter's statistics imrpoved due to his hard work throughout the offseason. Previous to this season, Porter was chanted into certain games by fans trying to heckle the rookie. This season, his performance had fans chanting his name to try to get him back into games even when the Wizards had already pulled far enough away to guarentee a victory.

Porter improved his statistcs by 3.9 points per game, 1.5 rebounds per game, .6 assists per game, .4 steals per game, and .4 blocks per game. This improvement occured because Porter actaully got better rather than having other players on his team that were injured. The only notable player who left his position was Trevor Ariza, who signed with Houston in the offseason, but other than that, Porter still had to compete for time.

Once Ariza bolted from Washington, it appeared Porter would be starting this season even though fans were worried if he would be ready for a huge role in the Washington system. The Wizards then went out and signed Paul Pierce, which resulted in Porter having to compete for a backup role in DC. 

Porter now had to compete with Martell Webster to be the first small forward off the bench even though Webster had a large role in the 2013-2014 season. The hard work and dedication in the offseason seemed to work out for Porter, who was awarded the position of being the first forward off the bench for Washington.

The Most Improved Player award should be going to Otto Porter this season. His statistics may have not grown as wello as some of the other candidates, but he has improved more than they have from a skills standpoint. Porter is going to improve even more once the Wizards' season ends, and will compete for the award once again in the 2015-2016 season.

1
  • May 5, 2015 - 10:00am (Now Viewing)