Paisley Blue

they/them | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

the sound of rain

thank you to Wisp, rwong, Busssy.Bee, and mirkat for all of the love and support :)

--

"My work is loving the world.
Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird--
equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand."
- "Messenger", Mary Oliver

"And I will show that nothing can happen more beautiful than death,
And I will thread a thread through my poems that time and event are compact,
And that all the things of the universe are perfect miracles, each as profound as any."
-Song of Myself (Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman)

How the sunlight shines

23

My best friend forgets how to speak sometimes but they never forget how to love
Their mouth always curves up at the corners, hope smiling from inside
They see beauty in life, they watch for the sunrise in the darkest of times
But they still feel burdened by the shadows that linger in the back of their mind.

My best friend walks a thin line each day,
Teetering between who they are and
Who the world wants them to be, expectations over identity,
Confusion draped over the walls they have been forced into
Still, they hold themself with definitive beauty and grace

My best friend finds themself in words and music, tying poetry with
The lilting melodies of their favorite songs
They feel deeply and love even deeper,
And they see the world through a pastel lense, tinted
With the color of daisies and starlight
They strive to keep a smile on their face, even when the world pushes them away
They lift their eyes to the stars and sing
Hey! This was written using poetri's prompt ''write a poem as though you were your own best friend''. poetri's is much better: check it out! https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/200897/version/410151
lochnessie also wrote a beautiful piece from this prompt—read that too! https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/200913/version/410251

So, although this poem was written mainly for the prompt, you may have noticed I used they/them pronouns when referring to myself... I've been trying to figure out my identity lately, so this was mostly just testing out the pronouns for myself. Don't feel any pressure to change which pronouns you use for me—I havent decided on anything yet. Thank you for all of the support that you guys have given me in helping me figure myself out — I appreciate it more than I can put into words! Hope youre all having a wonderful day/evening/night. Happy writing! :)

• Wisp

Replying: That means so much Ella, your sincerity and genuineness is just--now i'm going to start crying. To think that by merely just being is enough for you, I cannot explain this feeling. You deserve all the kind comments I and everyone else has ever given you, you're not just kind or a good writer--you're like this invisible force holding the community together and I adore you for that. Thank you so much for the reply and just being you. I hope you have a good day and I'd be hugging you just as much as well :)

• Wisp

(Also, I'm putting this in another comment since I didn't want to disrupt the flow of the last one, but I'm doing a dust jacket. So if you have any questions, send them my way!)

• Wisp

There's so much I wish I could say and express to you Ella. I've been thinking and rethinking about how I'd write this out, how I'd try to show you a fraction of the love you've shown me--I've been thinking a lot, and simply I'll do it the only way I know--through writing.
    You know, I saw you around a lot when you first joined and your name was EllaJoy and you had that profile picture of a tree. You followed me then I believe, but I didn't really notice you until later on. The next time I saw you, you had changed your username to your current one and changed your profile picture to a girl jumping in the sunset or something along the lines of that. And the reason I noticed was because you liked a piece that I published and hoped that everyone would just ignore. If I felt that way I should've just left it in my drafts, but something compelled me to publish it. I hoped it would get swept away under the piles of other work, but it didn't. And Ella, when you liked it, there was the emotion that had overcome me, this emotion of pride in my work--you gave me a sense that it really was good, that I wasn't as bad at writing as I had thought. Ella, from then on, I noticed you liking almost all my recently published pieces, leaving comments, and each one I cherished dearly. You gave me so much, and you made me so happy each time. And that leads us to here, me with my 103 followers and you being with me every step of the way.
    I've been thinking of how to write this thank you to you--how to give you a taste of the emotions you have given me. You are such a bright person on this site Ella, you have shaped it into the community it is now when all the veterans upped and left. You stayed and you thrived, and every time I return, I'm always happy to see you popping up on the dashboards, to see you liking and commenting and following other users, whether old or new. You are a core part here Ella, you belong to WtW and you have made it what it is today. You have been such a major part of my own WtW journey and left such an impact. So simply said Ella, thank you. Thank you for everything, and I hope one day I can do the same for you. All the best :)

• Wisp

"And they see the world through a pastel lense, tinted
    With the color of daisies and starlight"
    Ahh the positivity that exudes from this piece is immense and i am in love with every bit of it. I know I'm a little late, but Ella, your writing manages to stop time in its tracks sometimes, and reading it is an experience all on its own. I love the flow and narrative of this, the diction and imagery, the raw and vulnerability emanating, the you that is portrayed here. It is so lovely to learn about you more, how you feel about yourself and who you are as a person. There's something deep packed in between the lines on this page and I can't quite place what it is, but it's there, and it's pulling me closer. And I love it for that.

duly noted with the pronoun change! i love your take on this prompt, and the “daisies and starlight” line is such a lovely description! i love how it’s ever so peaceful and soft.
    re: thank you so much! lovely to see you around, too. hope you’re safe!

• JustAnotherDarling

Re: thank you! and yes, i get what you mean (though i love the undertones of romance in your other work :) and personally, i like tea on a gloomy day...but coffee in the morning is a staple i've come to depend on (and by coffee, i of course mean milk with two dropps of coffee...unless i need a real eye-opener on a slow day XD)

Wow. the imagery, the words... they sing. so much depth and honesty right here.
    Re: i'm so glad that you understand the optimism piece, because it is weird, and i do feel guilty sometimes for it. that comment means a lot. :)

• JustAnotherDarling

in some strange way, i feel a lot closer to you now that i've read this. the conflict in identity you describe pulls at my heartstrings, but i also want to say that i'm so happy that you're able to voice all these thoughts are share them <3
    and of course, i'm always here if you need to talk Anything at all - even if it's a random thing like coffee v. tea that has you questioning the importance of opinions of whatever haha
    oh, and as always, i'm in awe of your writing. it's simply magnificent!

• beth r.

re: aw your support means the world... dOn'T yOu dArE leave tho!

ahhhhhh i've stayed on this for awhile just rereading this, but it's beautiful. not going to lie, i think this prompted me to think a lot abt my own identity. i'm planning on writing a sort of thing with poetri's original prompt but is it ok if i sort of do smth with the pronouns in this like you did?

god, this is so beautiful. i can't even gush about one line bc then i'd have to gush about the line after this. the imagery... it's like i'm rubbing stardust between my fingers. love this sm and always up to talk <3

• crystalline•galaxies

upon rereading this poem, i realized how much of it i related to myself as well. "My best friend walks a thin line each day/Teetering between who they are and/Who the world wants them to be, expectations over identity/Confusion draped over the walls they have been forced into/Still, they hold themself with definitive beauty and grace" really, really resonated with me.
    re: it makes me unbelievably happy to know that while i wrote that poem completely based off of my experiences, there are others who also relate to it out there. your comment had probably been my favorite one thus far, as it means that i've reached someone with what i've written. it's really funny, isn't it, how different pieces can reach people even if they're about their own personal experiences? like i said, yours did the same for me, and for that i am ever grateful. (i really hope this comment made sense, haha)

• ava09 (sorta back)

this is beautiful and so are you. <3

this is bautiful and made me cry because i get this and don't know who i am either and just try to hold myself together... okay sorry! was feeling emotional! now i have a poetry idea... okay well i get this and of course i will call you by they/them pronouns! have a good rest of your day and soooo glad the election turned out! <3<3<3

This is so beautiful! You have inspired me to write one under this prompt!! I love this!!

• Rose A(hiatus)

Wow! How beautiful. I don't know how you write the way you do(radiating vibes of envy and amazement). :) I wish you luck on the road called "Finding Yourself". Remember, we're all here for you! Keep writing! It helps. :D

• psithurism

Wow. I will always be dumbstruck by your writing. I wish you luck with finding the pronouns that suit you. <3

• poetri

Dang, girl! This is amazing, I love it so much, and just...the way you took the prompt is gorgeous. 13/10 for me :)
    ALSO--I'm always here if you need someone to talk to about identity, or you could reach me on prose or discord (both of those are also poetri) and you know I'd always be happy to talk w you.

• dead account

re: yESSSS

also yes? I love this so much i wish i could like it like...20,0000 times over

• lochnessie

oh wow ella
    i just had to sit in silence for a minute
    okay.
    firstly, this is beautiful. this is you in every way and i feel very honoured to get to read this.
    secondly, i am absolutely happy to call you by any pronouns you wish. i also wish you the best of luck in your figuring-out - you will always have the support of your favourite Australian pond dragon <3
    thirdly, i hope you are having a wonderful day (night?) and that you will have a wonderful tomorrow and the tomorrow after that.

• pyrrhic

i can FEEL the love you hold for this person, whoever they may be. the words you use just... bring this piece to life. like, some day, when you're all famous and stuff, i'll be talking to people making a movie about your life and i'll say "ella? oh... yeah. they're beautiful. always been good with words... new them inside and out. they had a bunch of great friends, too. i always knew they'd be famous one day. now look at us."