In Which Yaya Writes

^Tully My Chick^
Lil sis calls me Yaya
[ChildOfGod]
Reading
Drawing
Writing
Singing
Dancing in Public
Homeschooled
PK
Podcasts•Classics•Thinking•Learning
Moving to Africa
McMann~Rowling~Dashner~Sutherland~Leonardo~Sanderson~Anderson~Wood

You may have noticed I didn’t do the song one. I just didn’t know what to write! Should I do a second draft and include that one? Please tell me! Oh, and comment about the actual piece please XD.

A Bag of Stories Involving a Possum and an Inter Dimensional Letter, Among Other Things

1. Write about a possum, living in an attic. 

This is Les. He is a possum. And he lives in an attic. I’m not going to say who owns the house and attic, because they might become seriously angry that I am sitting in their attic writing about a possum named Les as they eat their dinner of steak and potatoes. You would think that the owners of this house, being remarkably rich, would have pest control (although I do not consider Les to be a pest), but I assume they spent all their money on steaks and potatoes.  
   Les is a very lazy possum. He sleeps all day and is awake at night, though he has no need to go scavenge for food. I have been bringing him food for a total of 2 years. The first time he saw me, he pretended to die, which I have heard is normal behavior for possums, but was incredibly impolite, since I had brought him some fruit to eat. Now, he does not pretend to die whenever he sees me climb up into the hole in the side of the attic. He saunters over, prepared to eat whatever food I have that will make him fat. Now, I believe calling a human being “fat” is impolite and rude, yet I don’t think Les cares if I call him “fat” from time to time.  
   I have taken to reading aloud to him as he eats- of course, in a low enough voice that the owners of the house cannot hear me. He prefers the classics, like Mark Twain, to the newer books, like J. K. Rowling, although she is an excellent author as well. He sits quietly while I’m reading, and sometimes I swear I have seen him emote in a particularly emotional chapter, although it is hard to tell with possums.   
   Overall, we have a pleasant relationship that takes place in this attic. It really is quite cozy.  

2. You get a letter from someone who claims to be you from a different dimension. What does it say?  

Dear Dimension 1 Yaya, 

Hello. I’m writing this as hurriedly as I can. My name is Yaya, specifically Dimension 2 Yaya. I am you, from another dimension. I am writing to warn you. Something terrible is going to happen, terrible indeed. The Rebellion has told me that if I tell you exactly what happens it will change the course of both our Dimensions and have prohibited me from doing so. But let me tell you this: Prepare. It is coming, and It is coming quick. Hide your belongings. Stockpile food and necessities. Toughen yourselves up and learn to fend without anyone’s help. Memorize Bible verses and hide Bibles where you can. And if you are anything like me, begin collecting books. You will wish you had once It comes. If you can prevent It, thousands of lives will be saved. Thousands of families will be united. The world will be rid of much sorrow. To prevent It, you must never stop proclaiming the truth. We stopped. And It has come. It is coming to our headquarters now, so I must finish this quickly. The truth is the only thing that can save you. Because God is truth.  

- Dimension 2 Yaya 

3. Write a poem that includes the word "watch" three times.  

Mr. Stowell owns 10 watches.  
He keeps each of them on his arm.  
He never takes them off. 
Those watches, they keep him on time.  
And they keep him on time with others.  
He watches everything you do. 
And knows exactly when you are going to do something. 
Nothing gets past him.                                                                                                                      
The young children say he has cameras.  
The old folks tell tales of his all-knowing brain.  
Yet I think it is different.  
I think he is just smart.  

4. Marvel hires you to design a new comic based on a mythical superhero of your creation. What superhero do you dream up? What form(s) do they take? What do they do?  

Hello, this is Yaya S.  

Hello, this is Marvel Studios. We are calling to say your application has been accepted and we are going to add whatever superhero you create to our next Marvel movie.  

Oh my gosh, are you serious?! That’s amazing! Oah, my brothers are going to be so jealous!  

Your excitement is well placed. This is a once in a lifetime chance. Seriously, it’s a one in one thousand chance you will be allowed to do this again. Now, please, can you give me a rough sketch of what your character would be and do?  

Of course, of course. Her name is Dracone, and she... wait for it... can turn into a dragon!  

Ah, a dragon?  

Yes, a dragon! When she’s in her human form, she has long, orangeish yellowish hair, and wears shimmery, flowing dresses- to catch her enemy off guard.  

Hmm, interesting.  

Yeah, she’s super cool. And then she can turn into this giant dragon, with orange-to-yellow scales that change color in the sunlight and shimmer. And she has these cool horns with knobs on the end on her head that have twisted scales wrapped around them. She also has two ginormous wings that have little dangling jewels on the end. Oh! And on her waist, she holds trophies from all the battles she won, which just looks like a cool necklace when she’s human. She can breathe fire-  

Do you think a more unusual power would be more intriguing?  

Well, turning into a dragon is 
pretty unusual, in my opinion.  

No, no, the fire part.  

The fire part?  

Yes, the fire part. Where Dracone can breathe fire? What if she breathed or shot out a different substance?  

Well, I was thinking fire is pretty cool and it’s classic, but what substance were you thinking of?  

What if it were poisonous gas?  

Oh, that would be c-  

And what if instead of a dragon she turned into a killer whale?!  

A poisonous killer whale? 

Yes! And I think we would need to change her name and make her a male.  

But isn’t that kind of changing the character-  

Nonsense! We alter characters all the time!  

But that seems like a pretty big alter-  

Thank you so much, we might be contacting you for future reference while we are creating the character, although that is a small chance. This was a marvelous idea of mine- er, yours. Tata!  

Dial tone.  

Baby, what’s wrong? Why are you crying? On the floor? 

Because I just lost my one chance to put a character in a Marvel moviiiiiiiiiieeeee!  

5. What is your favorite thing about your home? 

My house is funny. Well, in a mean, teacher-that-gives-you-tons-of-homework-on-Friday sort of way.
   It’s most definitely slanted, and by that, I mean the floor literally goes down on the left side (If you’re on the inside facing the street). Whenever we spill a drink (which is not uncommon, let me tell you), we have to rush to get a towel so that the drink does not get stuck under the bookshelves in the dining room.
   Now, near the door that leads to the bedrooms, there is a giant, ‘broken’ part of the floor. If you step on it, it sinks down a bit. So we have a red rug on it, but my dog thinks that it’s his bed.
   Also, underneath the fireplace is a large stone block that can shift from side to side if you stand on it.
   The single bathroom (for my very large family) used to be a closet as well.
   Sometimes you wonder, “Is the house trying to kill us?” But it is 100 years old, so I guess it must figure out new ways to have fun, and that is attempted murder. I don’t know if that is my favorite part of the house, but it is a very unusual part of the house.  

One thing I do like about my house, though, is that it keeps us together. The boys’ room and the girls’ room is connected, and my mom can sit in between them and read Harry Potter to us. The living and dining rooms are also close together and have a large opening in between them, so we can always see each other. My family spends quality time together every night, and we are always there if someone needs us. Other families sit in there own rooms all day, don’t eat meals together, and don’t share their rooms. But my family is the opposite. To us, next to God, nothing is more important than family. We could never be bored during quarintine! So, even if this house tries to kill us sometimes, atleast it lets us be near each other.  
Word Count: 1,457 

1. I was trying to do a Raold Dahl style, where you actually write to the reader, and use ‘fancy’ writing. How’d that work? 

2. I feel like this is so classic, but I like it. 

3. This one is kinda giving me creepy vibes. Is anyone else getting the same vibes? 

4. Ah, I love this one! I really like the character Dracone, but I also love the funny/sad ending XD. Is it obvious what’s happening? The Bolded Italic one I imagined to be her mom, maybe. 

5. 100% true. 

Thanks for reading, and I hope you like it!

Also, the title is cracking me up XD. 

1

Hey I wrote a little more to this if you want to take a look! :)

• doodleninja

re: ahahah, well I guess I never learned about Ebenezer's tragic backstory before watching the movie, and my writer mind was immediately hooked on the angst potential XD
    yeah! I love the theme of light shining out of darkness, and the darker it is, the brighter the light will be. :)

• notarealacounnt

ohhhh I get it! les!

Re: wow, thank you so much for that! i did put a little thought into part I; i wanted it to be about... human identity, i guess. how humans are so terrible and so wonderful at the same time. thank you!
    ooh, penelope porpenstein sounds like a fantastic name! (reminds me of fantastic beasts and where to find them, where tina's real name is porpentina goldstein.) i am excited for this story!
    where does your pfp come from? i notice it's also a dragon. also, have you read wings of fire, since you love dragons? if so, i'll fangirl with you. it's not my biggest fandom, but i do love them. speaking of fandoms... what are your top fandoms and favorite series, authors, and standalone books?
    can you tell me more about this intelligent design class? sounds really neat! and yeah, it's not God vs science. God created science too. we're continually discovering new things about His creation. (side note: my mom, aunt, and i are going through a plan on the youversion Bible app on Genesis and creation. it's based off the film "Is Genesis History?" which we own and are finally going to watch this weekend. we've only had it for like six months XD)
    so glad i was able to recommend some music! i also recommend bethel music as a whole, because they have some fantastic worship songs. cory asbury, too.

just reread the isaac newton quote and laughed. how brilliant. also, have you heard "Christ Be Magnified" by cody carnes? (also performed by cory asbury with bethel music) the song that's been stuck in my head and has become my anthem lately. the bridge is magnificently powerful: "I won't bow to idols, I'll stand strong and worship You
    And if it puts me in the fire, I'll rejoice 'cause You're there too
    I won't be formed by feelings, I hold fast to what is true
    If the cross brings transformation then I'll be crucified with You
    'Cause death is just the doorway into resurrection life
    And if I join You in Your suffering, then I'll join You when You rise
    And when You return in glory with all the angels and the saints
    My heart will still be singing, my song will be the same"

first of all, welcome, welcome, welcome!!! second, I LOVED THE POSSUM STORY! I laughed and laughed. This line: "he pretended to die, which I have heard is normal behavior for possums, but was incredibly impolite, since I had brought him some fruit to eat." XD The style was pleasant and whimsical. Second one was pretty interesting, intense. And the third one was a little creepy. Like I could imagine A LOT of possibilities for this Mr. Stowell. Fourth one, I really liked this dragon girl and her name! And the arrogant marvel agent shot you down and changed your idea! rude! asfor the fifth one... your house sounds so cool! unusual, too. this line "So, even if this house tries to kill us sometimes, at least it lets us be near each other" was hilarious.
    your profile and bio are lovely and powerful. keep writing!
    oh, and i'm erin, aka "anemoia & lattes" and i change my username regularly. if you need anything, comment on one of my pieces! if you see my profile, you'll know that i ramble like this often, i talk too much, and i write too much. XD best wishes!

• Livsnjutare

The title is so funny!! I love all the stories in this and I like the dimensional story, i see how it gives you creepy vibes.
    Anyway I also love the way you wrote the possum story, you master the Roald Dahl style!!!
    :D

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: Aw thank you! I’m so glad I came to yours too! :) <3

Re: Thank you!
    :D

• Turkeycracker K (a.ka. Firecracker)

The dimension 2 one should be a whole story!

• Turkeycracker K (a.ka. Firecracker)

This is hilarious! I especially like how the character Dracone can turn into a dragon. I LOVE dragons and I have plenty of stories where the characters are human but with the wings and tails of dragons!

Omigosh I love your narrative voice! "The first time he saw me, he pretended to die, which I have heard is normal behavior for possums, but was incredibly impolite, since I had brought him some fruit to eat." That made me laugh so hard XD.
    Oh wow, I'd love to read more of the second piece!! There is an annoying shortage of YA Christian fiction, and you're such a great writer.
    Oof, that Marvel one took an annoying turn. Dracone sounds so cool, though.
    Okay your house and family sound awesome. That is all.

• beth r.

love this, and the title is everything!
    re: lol thanks! nice to meet you :)

Re: Thanks a billion!
    Oh, hi there! I already like you too.

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: thank you! Haha, yeah! Part 4 is out! XD just went to Sonic, XD

• Rose A(hiatus)

Re: Hi, Yaya! It's nice to meet you. Yes, I'd love for you to notify me! I always forget to check out people's portfolios and miss their new stuff. As for my piece about my grandmother, that's her love story(kind of). It's about her time in college and afterward. She went to Italy with my grandpa after he graduated.
    Re: Actually, if you look it up, stormtroopers were people who worked for Hitler's army in WW2. They aren't brought up too much, so I probably should have mentioned it. Oh well.

I love the possum one! The Marvel one is also hilarious. Welcome to Write the World, by the way!

• Rose A(hiatus)

We've never met, so hi! I'm Rose. This was great(especially Les, he's the man-possum. He's the possum.) I'm going to follow you now, so make sure to tell me when you post another piece!

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: aw, thanks Yaya! :) I’m always happy to chat here with you; I love your page already and I’m excited to see more of your writings here!! :) :)

• Rohan’s Defender

I love this SOO MUCH! All of them, XD!
    Re: aww thank you! Hi! I live your username and profile picture! :)

• ~madeline~

Hiii!!! It's so nice to meet you :) (can I just call you Yaya?) I can't wait to see more of your writing XD