Canary818

Memento Vivere

Please feel free to leave any feedback! :)

The Girl Who Never Forgot

Ignorance is bliss?

This phrase has always resonated with Mira. When the trauma in life is too much for a person to handle, would it be better for him to forget, and live as nothing had ever happened? Or should he muster up the mental strength to face his grief head on?

She wondered while waiting in a large lab facility, which she would regularly visit for the entire 12 years of her life.

She was sitting on a long cushioned seat at the center of a large, circular room. She had to be cuffed to the chair at the wrists, ankles, and waist. Above her head was a heavy helmet linked to dozens of wires.

Cameras and microphones were scattered everywhere, and her every move could be observed by scientists on the second floor. 

Pouting, she placed her helmet on, before allowing herself to be constrained by the metal cuffs. She would once again subject her ability to the countless tests. Her ability to retain every memory.

"Now, for this test, there are going to be lots of thoughts and memories running through your head, so I will need you to relax, and get through the test. It'll only be for 3 minutes," a doctor tried to reassure her. But Mira had already grown numb to such sensory overload, from all the memories she was unable to let go of.

Afterwards, a robotic voice sounded in a much less comforting tone: "Neural Blockade Removal Control Test has commenced."

Then, everything went black for Mira.

... 

Mira tugged her father's shirt, as he towered over her, looking down with teary eyes.

"Daddy, don't leave me..." she choked on her tears.

Her chest was weighed down by confusion and unease.

"I'm sorry, Mira. Your mother and I can't stay together anymore. It's for our own good."

"I'm sorry..." 

Mira dropped to her knees. There was no more hope for her to have a normal family, and live a normal life. All because of her ability. 

She would never be normal. That's all she ever wanted.

...

Mira was sitting at her desk at her school.

Just one more day... Then, maybe I could find friends at the special school... she thought to herself.

"Hey, have you heard that Mira's transferring to some super nerd school?"

"Yeah, she totally belongs there! Creep!"

"I mean, it's true she can't really communicate like the rest of us, but... oh well..."

...

Mira suddenly felt something of an electric shock through her head, and she partially awoke from her trance. The despair from reliving the most painful moments enveloped her in an ocean of emotion. Of desperation to forget the painful memories, and just hold on to the bright, sunny ones. 

But something interrupted her thought.

Voices came from the observation lab above her.

"What's going on? The test hasn't been completed yet!"

"The system has been hacked!"

"The hacker... he's saying something!"

"To the staff in this room, you have a choice. Halt the test immediately, disable all encryption in your system, and your database will be spared. If you choose not to, I will delete all the research you have conducted on Mira for the past 11 years. You wouldn't want that, now would you?" A voice disguised voice sounded from the speakers in the room.

Mira opened her eyes to find the room in a blue hue of darkness.

"Okay, okay! I'll do what you asked! Just... please don't touch the database, no matter what!" a scientist pleaded.

Those scientists are such cowards, Mira thought.

"Good, good... I know how important that data is to you." The same dry, mechanical voice replied, contempt seeping through the voice changer.

But the voice continued.

"Now, Mira. Mira Pastore. Listen to me."

"I know everything about you. Everything those wretched scientists did to you."

"And I know you remember all the tragedies life has thrown at you. You try to put them at the back of your mind but you know they will haunt you for eternity. So your deepest wish is for your ability to go away. And you resent these scientists for making you remember that you can never, ever be a normal girl."

Mira flinched. This person... was right. This person knew everything.

She felt strangely comforted by the fact that somebody understood.

The scientists above her were silent.

"Who are you?!" Mira's heart rate was rising.

"I am known as [Nemesis]. You will likely hear this name again in the future."

[Nemesis]... I feel like I've heard this name before...

Sometime in my distant past...
 Mira tried searching for that memory.

"So, my dear Mira. I come today to make you an offer. With the device you are on right now, I can take away your ability to remember. Or, rather, your inability to forget. Your brain can let go of the memories it doesn't want anymore. And you can live a normal life, make friends, and be happy..."

"Or you can choose to continue with your current ability. You will continue to be haunted by pain, by your parents' separation, by your constant loneliness... And you will have to find the strength to overcome it."

"It is up to you whether you want me to conduct this procedure. Take your time... and ponder this choice of a lifetime. Whenever you are ready, dear Mira, just give me an answer."

"Mira! Don't do it! This is a criminal! He's lying to you!" A voice above her cried.

Mira was enticed by the voice's offer. For a moment she forgot about the scientists above her. She knew, deep down, what she wanted. Her lifetime wish would be granted to her. 

But, all the darkest of days made her grow stronger, and more immune to every sharp stab people would throw at her.

And she couldn't trust a hacker, could she?

She decided.

"I... please..."

To Be Continued
Hi! This is my second complete draft of my story. Please feel free to leave feedback on any room for improvement!

• Huba Huba

Similarly to mooncake's comment, I really want to know about Mira's final decision too! This is a very interesting and moving piece! From literature, I know that Nemesis means one who causes another's downfall, and does this foreshadow what [Nemesis]'s voice could do to Mira?
    It's getting pretty late here in my area and I don't think I'll have time to write a detailed review (unless you don't submit until tomorrow).
    Here are some suggestions though:
    Have some things that the characters, I guess in this case only Mira, always does or always brings around. For example Mira could have a habit of twirling her hair when she lies (wouldn't apply to this story but just an example), or have a special charm or something that she always brings around. I'm thinking for that italicized flashback, you could add something similar to that, for example, Mira could always carry a dancing figurine gifted from her father, and she drops it when she hears about the news.
    I actually think that you could tweak up the title a little bit. If she thought that Nemesis sounded familiar and couldn't bring to mind about what she thought of where she heard the name, it doesn't comply well with the title.
    You could try adding some more figurative language and metaphors for some artsyness as well, if your word count allows that.
    Feel free to disagree with any of my points, as these are simply my thoughts. Remember, writing is very subjective, and at the end of the day, the choice is the writer's, the wielder of the pen.

• Canary818

@mooncake ;)

• mooncake

Wowow this is such an interesting story I love it!! I want to know more, what is Mira's final decision?!!