Canary818

Memento Vivere

Hi, please feel free to leave any feedback on my descriptions and clarity. My draft is slightly over a thousand words so I would also like to hear from you if any parts can be cut out.

The Girl Who Never Forgot

Ignorance is bliss?

This phrase has always resonated with Mira. When the trauma in life is too much for a person to handle, would it be better for him to forget, and live as nothing had ever happened? Or should he muster up the mental strength to overcome his grief?

She wondered while sitting on her oversized testing seat.

She was sitting on a long cushioned seat at the center of a large, circular room. She had to be cuffed to the chair at the wrists, ankles, and waist. Above her head was a heavy helmet linked to dozens of wires.

Cameras and microphones were scattered everywhere, and her every move could be observed by scientists on the second floor. 

She reluctantly placed her helmet on, before allowing herself to be constrained by the metal cuffs. She would be satisfying the neuroscience community's selfish curiosity on her ability. Her ability to retain every memory.

"Now, Mira, for this test, there are going to be lots of thoughts and memories running through your head, I will need you to relax, and get through the test. It'll only be for 3 minutes," a doctor tried to reassure her. But Mira had already grown numb to such sensory overload, from all the memories she was unable to let go of.

After the doctor finished speaking, a robotic voice sounded in a much less comforting tone: "Neural Blockade Removal Control Test has commenced."

Then, everything went black for Mira.

... 

Mira tugged her father's shirt, as he towered over her, looking down with much sympathy.

"Daddy, don't leave me..." she choked on her tears.

Her chest was consumed by heavy confusion and unease.

"I'm sorry, Mira. Your mother and I can't stay together anymore. It's for our own good."

"I'm sorry, Mira..." 

Mira dropped to her knees. There was no more hope for her to have a normal family, and live a normal life. All because of her ability. 

She would never be normal. That's all she ever wanted.

...

Mira sat at her desk in her new school. She looked around and saw people who were meant to be similar to her. Academic geniuses, walking calculators, musical prodigies of a similar age. Mira herself could indeed score perfectly on all her tests by remembering all the material, but she never found any meaning in it.

She could never relate to any people from her old school, which was just a regular public elementary school. So when she was accepted into Samantha Academy for the Gifted, she wondered if, for the first time in her life, she could find a friend. A friend who would understand that her memory was more than just flaunting her boundless knowledge. But she wasn't so optimistic anymore. The people around her were too different from her. They were too absorbed in their own talents.

She was in a school for special children. Gifted children.

But, is Mira's memory a gift or a curse? 

She has been searching for this answer for as long as she has been alive.

...

Mira suddenly felt something of an electric shock through her head, and she partially awoke from her trance. The despair from reliving the most painful moments consumed her, enveloped her in an ocean of emotion. Of desperation to forget the painful memories, and just hold on to the bright, sunny ones. 

But something interrupted her thought.

Voices came from the observation lab above her.

"What's going on? The test hasn't been completed yet!"

"The system has been hacked!"

"This... a message from the hacker!"

"To the neuroscientists in this room, you have a choice. Halt the test immediately, disable all encryption in your system, and your database will be spared. If you choose not to, I will delete all the research you have conducted on Mira for the past 11 years. You wouldn't want that, now would you?" A voice sounded from the speakers in the room. It was a disguised voice, and nobody could tell what kind of person was speaking.

Mira blinked her eyes to find the room in a blue hue of darkness.

"Okay, okay! I'll do what you asked! Just... please don't touch the database, no matter what!" a scientist pleaded.

"Good, good... I know how important that data is to you." The same dry, mechanical voice replied, contempt seeping through the voice changer.

But the voice continued.

"Now, Mira. Mira Pastore. Listen to me."

"I know everything about you. Everything that has happened to you. Everything they did to you. Those wretched scientists. What they did to you when you were one year old to make you suffer like you do today."

"How...?" Mira sounded, having fully awakened.

"And I know you remember all the tragedies life has thrown at you. You try to put them at the back of your mind but you know they will haunt you for eternity. So your deepest wish is for your ability to go away. And you resent these scientists for making you remember that you can never, ever be a normal girl."

Mira flinched. This person... was right. This person knew everything.

"Yes... you're right."

The scientists above her were silent.

"So, my dear Mira. I come today to make you an offer. With the device you are on right now, I can take away your ability to remember. Or, rather, your inability to forget. Your brain can let go of the memories it doesn't want anymore. And you can live a normal life, make friends, and be happy..."

"Or you can choose to continue with your current ability. To remember every bit of sensory information your brain receives. You will continue to be haunted by pain, by your parents' separation, by your constant loneliness... And you will have to find the strength to overcome it."

"It is up to you whether you want me to conduct this procedure. Take your time... and ponder this choice of a lifetime. Whenever you are ready, dear Mira, just give me an answer."

"Mira! Don't do it! This is a criminal! He's lying to you!" Mira heard a human voice from above her.

Mira took the hacker's offer seriously. She knew, deep down, what she wanted. Her lifetime wish would be granted to her. But, all the darkest of days made her grow stronger, and more immune to every sharp stab people would throw at her.

She decided.

"I... please..."

To Be Continued
Hi! This is my first complete draft of my story. I wrote it in about an hour so it's still rusty. Please feel free to leave feedback on any room for improvement!

• Huba Huba

Woah this piece is interesting, and I love the italicized part and the first sentence. "
    I'll write a review for this when I have time tomorrow, and please check out mine if it's convenient for you! It's called Igniting (I may or may not change the title again in the future)