Tushar Mandhan

'illegitimi non carborundum'

republishing it.....well....because of mood XD

never kiss your best friend

38

walk along to school in the autumn afterglow;
sometimes talk, sometimes race for fun.
sit together on the same bench everyday,
we drew a border to mark our side of desk.
share our lunch boxes, judge people in cafe,
need to be concerned but we're good at burlesque.
when i get lazy, i can copy your homework,
when like my dress, you can claim it yours.
but,
we'll never walk hand-in-hands in your favourite park
before sunset.
we'll never have wine in sicilian summers,
it's an unsaid rule that you never kiss your best-friend.

have our backs for each other like joey and phoebe,
play snow fights and share scarfs when it's breezy.
we scratch our initials on the seat of school van,
walk home with the pen i borrowed and didn't give it back.
behind the books in the library we laugh at our puns,
sit in auditorium to bunk classes and buzz about classmates. 
when i feel low, you give me goading therapies,
when heart breaks, you have my shoulder to grieve.
but,
we'll never go on a long drive in hawaii on a harley 
before fall.
we'll never share blankets in swiss winter,
it's an unsaid rule that you never kiss your best friend.

i'll text you not call you after we graduate, move to discrete cities.
you'll grouse about guys who asked you out, i'll tell you about girls i dated.
everything will change but not us, but not our love 
because we didn't kiss our best friends.
no you never kiss your best friend.
cheesy, duh? 
it was such a break from my melancholic, dramatic poems.  

1

• nolongeractive

This is beautiful! Good job! I really love all of the power and signifigance in this piece!! It is breathtaking! You have so much talent and I cannot wait to see what you share next!

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

Hey Tush chapter four and five about my life is out. Check it out :)

are you musical at all? i mean, do you ever see your works as songs and consider arranging some chords for them or just singing it a capella? because this one, tushar, needs to be more famous. needs to be a hit song. it's that good, and so much more.
    sorry, i came back to your page and fell in love with your work all over again.

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

Re: No lol I sleep in to 8 am bahahaha

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

Your comment made me so happy! Chapter three is out. any suggestions for the next chapter?

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

Re: I am good just very very stressed. Congrats on your cousin getting married that is awesome. You are fine I know a reply takes a while sometime. I am currently writing a lot of romantic poems lol because it is my anniversary weekend with my boyfriend. WTW took my piece down about my followers and life story so I added to it and republished.

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

34 likes!? Tush you did it you are famous! Yay yay yay. I love this poem. And fun fact I have been dating a guy for a year I have been friends with since middle school, so I have kinda kissed a best friend lol. This is not cheesy it is so good.

oh my gosh i still love this soooooooooooo much. this should go into the songwriting comp. srsly.
    re: thank you so much! please don't feel the need to flatter me on the singing, tho. but thank you. FEARLESS YES that's awesome!

• Zirong

wow this hits me hard.

• Blue Jay

Just to clarify, I didn't mean your poem was disappointing, its amazing, I mean I just felt the sadness of the poem? (I should not be writing comments at midnight)

• Blue Jay

Likes dont work still, but consider this comment as a like. Amazing poem, I felt the disappointment in it.

re: haha, probably because this piece inspired mine

• AbellePuppy34

This is really good! I read your comment, too, btw.

• ava09 (sorta back)

replying: oh i see the similarities now XD. this piece honestly does flow kinda like a song. also, it's nice to have a friend is such a good song!! lol "in a mood" sameeee haha. aw that's so sweet - she's definitely inspirational for sure and i know i love using her songs as inspiration too sometimes. :)

• Mpm#1

Re: So so true! Waaay too many of those people around.
    That must be so annoying! We try so so hard not to generalize... and then we turn around and do it anyway!

Re: yes, she is! and that's so neat that you're working on scripts and you just "needed a song" so you just go and write a masterpiece. i'm already trying to put it to a tune in my head even though i'm not musically talented or inclined.

also, is it just me, or can anyone else hear this as a song already? it's mostly because of the rhyme, but it really sounds like a taylor song. either from red, reputation (could have a dark spin), or folklore. although speak now might also fit.

Re: haha, i love that taylor is so woven into your writing. illicit affairs has been haunting me this evening, and i've finally decided to memorize all of it. and mirrorball. and maybe hoax, too. how do i not have all of those memorized yet? idk.
    also, just reading this again makes me sigh and dream and nostalgia washes over me for something that hasn't actually happened. there's probably a word for that... kinda like anemoia, but not quite.

Re: Thank you! Don't worry, I know that now, but this was back when the lockdowns were fairly new and very strict, and I had just recently experienced a relapse with what was then known as my "mystery disease".

also, the rhyme scheme is super pleasing. and i think i just spotted an "afterglow" reference... *duh* the first line!

not cheesy, i loved it. and i heard the taylor swift in it! "it's nice to have a friend" was showing through for sure. there were prob other taylor references i didn't get.
    so much bittersweetness. aching memories and nostalgia, right there. you can definitely write romantic pieces!

• ~Zoe N~

re; yeah... thankfully we've finally made up our minds about whos going to be president now.

• ava09 (sorta back)

well that hit different. unsaid rule, yeah, but that doesn't mean people don't wanna break it lolll. it's stunning and bittersweet. is it based on anything true or were you just in that sort of mood?
    (p.s. you definitely can do romantic pieces if this is any indication haha)

Yup this is an unsaid rule, don't do it!!
    Re- Thank you so so much! :)

• thea_ivy

I love this so much, you did great for not being able to do romantic pieces. Great job!

• Mishthi Sharma

This is soooo.....i am full

• tas (yellowbrickrd)

the definition of bittersweet. this is written so well and flows without flaw.

• sun.shine

It's beyond words! Exceptional!!!!!

Re: Thanks!! Ah, that would be nice. However, the best I can really hope for is that treating it (and EDS which I now know I have too) will make things easier.

• Just_A_Memory

This is brilliant! I don't know what you mean by you can't. That is a lie, and I hope you know that. It's true for sure. I don't know why I'd kiss my friend, but... yeah xD

• Jason_claire :)

Ditto that title, bad things happen when you do...

• Mpm#1

OMG I’VE NEVER ACTUALLY SEEN SOMEONE ELSE WITH ANY KNOWLEDGE OF ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM <3
    This a good piece... never should have kissed mine...

"arghh.....i know i can't do romantic pieces!!!!" Um... FALSE! This is so amazing!! You manage to keep the narrative of the poem very strong and vivid while slipping in mysterious undertones, and your use of repetition is perfect.

• sci-Fi

Woaaahhhhh this is so beautiful ohmygods..... what inspired u to write this??

nononono, this is beautiful and sorrowful and ahhh, why is life so complicated!? the imagery here... i am so not tearing up right now at all nope not me.... <3

• Samina

(you write so beautifully that I feel like crying T-T)