Stone of Jade

~ 17 she/her ~
Aspiring writer and artist. Completely awestruck by night skies. Apart of many, many fandoms ;) Reader, journaler, collector.
~ pilot pens and beat-up notebooks ~
one half of the locket
Vice Pres. Cult of the Crunch

newest/revised draft!

Thank you all so much for your reviews and help with editing this piece.

I will still honor review for review, but comments are just as helpful!!

What do you guys think??

LMK if you'd like to be notified when I publish Ladell & Tallis' full story :)

On the High Seas

A cool breeze carried the smell of saltwater and seaweed towards Ladell. Colors from all ends of the earth decorated the market. Carts and stands displayed all types of exotic fruits, spices, woven baskets and delicate silks. By mid-afternoon, the square became crowded, overwhelming Ladell's senses, making it difficult to stay alert. As Ladell finished her errands in the market, she felt a strange tingling at the back of her neck. On instinct, Ladell knew someone was following her, yet she didn't feel threatened--the feeling was oddly familiar. Ladell scanned the cobbled street. Whoever was following her knew what they were doing. Ladell quickened her pace. 
    Parconna was a small island, but news travelled fast overseas--especially when it had to do with pirates. Ladell kept a wary lookout as she made her way to the docks. She took shortcuts through alleys, backtracking multiple times, in case her instinct proved true. Ladell was just nearing the docks, when a hand pulled her into a back alley. 
    A figure in a green cloak shoved her into the wall, arm pressed against her chest. Ladell dropped her sack, the supplies scattered over the cobblestones. 
    “So you finally decided to show yourself, Golden Eye,” a gruff voice taunted. A dark hood veiled his face from view.
    Ladell racked her brain for who this could be. She’d never been to this island before. Quietly, Ladell slipped her knife out of its sheath.
    “I know why you’re here,” the voice continued. “Just couldn’t help yourself, could you?” The man sneered as he pressed Ladell harder into the wall, his cotton sleeve scratching her neck.
    Ladell exhaled, which loosened the grip on her chest. She slammed her knee into her attacker’s gut and pushed forward. The man crashed to the ground. Ladell jumped on top of him, her knife blade delicately poised above his throat.
    “I don’t play around,” she hissed. “Who are you?” Ladell pressed against her attacker’s chest, but drew back, confused, when the man started laughing.
    “I surrender,” he said. Slowly, he pulled back his hood, revealing his face. “Come on, Ladell. You know me.”
      “Tallis?” Ladell stared in shock at the familiar smirk, shining eyes, and scar that stretched across his left cheek--it was the face of her childhood friend and first partner-in-crime. Ladell scrambled to her feet, pulling Tallis off the sand-crusted street. “What were you thinking? I could have killed you!”
    Tallis brushed the dirt off his clothes. “I saw you in the market, and wanted to say hello.”
    “There are easier ways to do that--ways that don’t involve being mugged in an alley! Tallis, it’s been years! I haven’t heard from you since Mayborne! What’s the Swindler been up to?”
    “You’ve heard about me?”
    “Almost everyone knows who you are now--we’re not small town criminals anymore."
    Tallis chuckled. “I’ve been travelling a good deal, seeing the world, meeting all sorts of people.”
    “So the usual? Stowing away on ships, stealing whatever pleases your eye, becoming enemies with the richest men alive?” Ladell saw right through his sugar-coated words. They had been in partnership for years. She knew Tallis would have gotten himself into all sorts of trouble.
    “Yea, something like that,” Tallis smiled. “I heard you made a name for yourself. Golden Eye fits you nicely, and not just because of your thievery skills,” he winked. “What brings the captain of The Manta to Parconna?”
     “Just a few errands. My crew is headed towards Conquest Reef. What about you? Is this the only place you aren’t wanted?”
    “For now,” Tallis said. “I have a small job. Have you ever heard of the Coral Globe?”
    “Tallis, keep your voice down!” Ladell said sternly, stepping back. “You can’t cross Captain Colborne--not again.”
    “Oh please, I’ve met way worse than that rich captain. Besides, Mayborne was years ago. He’s not gonna remember me.”
    “No, Tallis. Boothe Colborne is a dangerous man,” Ladell warned him grimly. “I raided one of his merchant ships by accident--”
    “Hold up--you raided a ship by accident?”
    “No, I raided his ship by accident. I’d have left it alone if I’d known whose it was. He didn’t stop chasing us for months. We finally lost him because of a freak storm. But the Coral Globe? That treasure is worth more than a million bits. The Coral Globe is his greatest pride!”
    “Ladell, I have to,” Tallis pleaded.
    "How did you even find out about it? Who set you on this job?”
    Tallis looked down. “Thornley,” he whispered. 
    “You’re working for Thornley again? Son of a seagull, Tallis! What have you been doing to get roped into Thornley’s grasp?”
    “I got into a bit of trouble, that’s all. Once I do this job I’m free.”
    Ladell could see the pain behind his eyes. Her friend had been through much in the years they’d been apart. “When?”
    “Tonight,” Tallis said. “It’s an in and out job.”
    “Really? What’s your out?”
    Tallis shifted his weight between his feet. “Merchant ship?” 
   “You won’t make it out of the harbor!” Ladell glared at Tallis. 
    “That’s why it was such a great coincidence I ran into you!”
    “No, Tallis.”
    “Come on, Ladell. You were always the brains of the operation. One more job, just like old times?”
    “Tallis, I’m not risking the lives of my crew.”
    “Ladell, please. If I don’t do this job I’ll be a dead man.”
    “By doing this job, you’re already a dead man. I’m sorry Tallis, I pick fights I know I can win. Boothe Colborne is one person even the Swindler can’t beat.”
    Tallis was silent for a long time before speaking. “I understand," he said. "I’m sorry for even asking--it was nice seeing you again.” Tallis feigned a smile as he turned to leave. Before he could, Ladell caught his arm. 
    “Tallis, wait,” Ladell said, her voice softening. “I set sail tomorrow. I can’t help you with the job but"--she took a deep breath--“if you need an out...”
    “Thanks, Ladell."
    “I leave at dawn, not a second later.”

Re: thank you SO MUCH! I definitely need to rework the story now, figure out how much of my original I'm going to edit and how much I'm going to keep. So it might be a while... but before the end of the year!

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: of course! :) and yayyy thank you!! I’m so excited! Also, CONGRATULATIONS on 199 followers!! I wish I could follow you again so you’d have 200! XD

Ahhh I love it even more and I didn;t know that was possible. I would definitely like to be notified when you publish the rest of their story. The beginning hooks me immediately; it sounds like a lively, bustling, enchanting place straight out of the past. Also, I've just published draft 6 of my novel comp entry! I changed A LOT. As in, Elly does not exist in this one, and I think it was for the best. "murder your darlings," as they say. BUT NEVER TAG OR BROOKS. THIS IS NOT A DYING BOOK.

• Rose A(hiatus)

Wow, I really loved this. It almost reminded me of the anime/manga One Piece! I'm wishing you the best of luck during this competition! :)