Stone of Jade

~ 17 she/her ~
Aspiring writer and artist. Completely awestruck by night skies. Apart of many, many fandoms ;) Reader, journaler, collector.
~ pilot pens and beat-up notebooks ~
one half of the locket
discord LexLuthor#8769

This is my first draft for the contest this month. I have to cut down on some of the word count.

I would absolutely LOVE some feedback! Anything--comments, or even better, reviews, are greatly appreciated. Thank you so so much!

Also I am looking for title ideas!

On the High Seas

The crowd of people in the market was hard to maneuver in, let alone stay alert. Ladell made her way through the busy street, stopping occasionally to buy a few supplies at various stands. Ladell felt a tingling at the back of her neck. She knew someone was following her, but it did not give her a sense of danger. It was strangely familiar. She scanned the street but saw nothing suspicious. Whoever was following her was good. Ladell quickened her pace. 
    It was a small island but news travelled fast overseas, especially when it had to do with pirates. Ladell kept a wary lookout as she made her way to the docks. She took shortcuts through various alleys, backtracking more than once to throw anyone off in case there was a concerned citizen following her. She had just made the last of her errands and was heading back to her ship when a hand pulled her into a back alley. 
    A figure in a dark cloak shoved her into the wall, arm pressed against her chest. Ladell dropped her sack, the supplies scattered over the cobblestones. 
    “So you finally decided to show your face Golden Eye,” a gruff voice accused. The attacker was covered in a dark hood, which veiled his face from view. 
    “Who are you?” Ladell racked her brain for who this could be. She’d never been to this island before, let alone met anyone who lived here that knew her. She took a breath--she had to keep her cool. She quietly slipped her knife out of its sheath.
    “I know why you’re here. Just couldn’t help yourself, could you?” The attacker hadn’t noticed Ladell palm her knife. “You won’t get away this time,” he sneered as he pressed Ladell harder into the wall.  
    Ladell exhaled, which loosened the grip on her chest. She slammed her knee up into her attacker’s gut. Before he could fight back, Ladell pushed. He fell to the ground- and Ladell jumped on top of him, her knife blade delicately poised above his throat. 
    “I don’t play around,” she hissed, “who are you?” Ladell pressed against her attacker’s chest, but was suddenly taken aback. The person below her was laughing. He raised his hands above his head.
    “I surrender,” he said. Still laughing, the figure reached slowly and pulled back his hood, revealing his face. “Come on, Ladell. You know me.” Now unveiled, Ladell recognized the familiar smirk and shining eyes. She knew him at once, his identity proven once more by a deep scar that stretched across his nose and onto his left cheek. 
    “Tallis?” Ladell was shocked. Under the hood was her childhood friend and first partner in crime. Ladell scrambled off of her friend.“What were you thinking? I could have killed you!”
    Tallis brushed the dirt off of himself. “I saw you in the market, and wanted to say hello.”
    “There are easier ways to do that--ways that don’t involve being mugged in an alley!” Ladell tried to stay mad at her friend, but she was too happy to see him. “Tallis, it’s been years! I haven’t heard from you since the Mayborne job! What’s the Swindler been up too?”
    “Oh, you’ve heard about me?”
    “Almost everyone knows who you are now--we’re not small town criminals anymore."
    Tallis chuckled. “I’ve been travelling a good deal, seeing the world, meeting all sorts of people.”
    “So the usual? Stowing away on ships, stealing whatever pleases your eye, becoming enemies with the richest men alive?” Ladell saw right through his sugar-coated words. They had been in partnership for years, she knew Tallis would have gotten himself into all sorts of trouble.
    “Yea, something like that,” Tallis smiled. “I heard you made a name for yourself. Golden-Eye fits you nicely, and not just because of your thievery skills,” he blushed. “So...what brings the captain of the Manta to the Parconna Islands?”
     “We needed supplies and Parconna was the first island we came across. My crew is headed towards Conquest Reef. What about you? Is this the only place you aren’t wanted?”
    “For now,” Tallis whispered. “I have a small job. Have you ever heard of the Coral Globe?”
    “Tallis, keep your voice down!” Ladell sternly, suddenly stepping back. “You can’t cross Captain Colborne--not again.”
    “Oh please, I’ve met way worse than that rich captain. Besides, Mayborne was years ago. He’s not gonna remember me.”
    “No, Tallis. Boothe Colborne is the most dangerous man alive,” Ladell warned him grimly. “I raided one of his merchant ships on accident--”
    “Hold up--you raided a ship on accident?”
    “No, I raided his ship by accident. I’d have left it alone if I’d known whose it was. He didn’t stop chasing us for months. We finally lost him because of a freak storm. But the Coral Globe is his greatest pride. Imagine what wrath you’ll invoke if you steal that globe.”
    “Ladell, I have too,” Tallis pleaded. “You don’t understand.”
    “How did you even find out where he kept his globe? Who set you on this job?”
    Tallis looked down, “Thornley,” he whispered. 
    “You’re working for Thornley again! Son of a seagull, Tallis! What have you been doing to get roped into Thornley’s grasp?”
    “I got into a bit of trouble, that’s all. It’s nothing you need to know about. Look, once I do this job I’m free.”
    Ladell could see the pain behind his eyes. Her friend had been through much in the years they’d been apart. “When?”
    “Tonight,” Tallis said. “It’s an in and out job.”
    “Really? What’s your out?”
    Tallis shifted his weight between his feet. “Merchant ship?” 
   “They’ll catch you before they’ve even left the harbor! If you are going to steal from the richest man in this half of the world, you have to make a secure escape plan!” Ladell glared at Tallis. 
    “I know, that’s why it was such a great coincidence I ran into you!”
    “No, Tallis.”
    “Come on, Ladell,” Tallis pleaded. “You were always the brains of the operation; one more job, just like old times?”
    “Tallis, I’m not risking the lives of my crew.”
    “Ladell, please. If I don’t do this job I’ll be a dead man.”
    “By doing this job, you’re already a dead man. I’m sorry Tallis, I pick fights I know I can win. Boothe Colborne is one person even the Swindler can’t beat.”
    Tallis was silent for a long time before speaking. “I’m sorry for even asking.” He turned to leave but Ladell caught his arm. 
    “Tallis, wait,” Ladell said, her voice softening. “I set sail tomorrow. I can’t help you with the job but"--she took a deep breath--“if you need an out…”
    “Thanks, Ladell."
    “I leave at dawn, not a second later.”

Re: well, what does the "pilot pens and beat-up notebooks" mean? i love the aesthetic and vibes of it, i just wanna know where that comes from. and the #bluesourpatchkid? and the "one half of the locket?" i guess it's more that i want to know the story behind your profile.
    also, i've been working on the bookstore piece, and i'm going to republish. unfortunately, even though i've deleted a lot, i've also added some... we'll see how the word count goes.

• lochnessie

going to review this one - brilliant!

Re: yes, please update me when/if you do stuff for this piece! and thanks so much for the comment. titles... man, titles are hard. and it totally depends on the genre and mood you want to create. Like one-word titles are more ominous, while something like "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" tells us a lot more than "Matched" or "Insurgent." And title does matter to a certain extent for drawing someone in, but it's the story itself that keeps a reader interested.

Re: thank you so much for the feedback! yeah, it's hard to decide... the second part feels more right into the "action" and it doesn't need backstory, i guess in an excerpt, but i love brooks and tag's friendship. and i will review this within a few days! thank you again. i actually don't have much of a plot line after the next few chapters... still deciding on whether to incorporate a touch of magic or not.

I guessed that, it's awesome! Ok, I'll review this then! <3

Re: Tysm! Do you want me to review a piece for you? (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh love your pfp so much)

• V-Rose

Re: On that piece, please.

• V-Rose

And if you could review mine, I'd be really grateful! I have three possible ideas right now and I don't know which to do.

• V-Rose

I love this so much! I left a review! You should get it soon!

review on the way :) This is awesome!

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

Re: thank you so much! I’m so glad you like it! :)

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

Part 15 of the collab is out!

• dead account

OOOOH- you're really good at coming up with interesting characters. I admire you for that.
    I hope this wins!
    -ML.