mirkat

she/her│infp-a
est. 10/15/20

"take me with you, finished thing"
"too dizzying to love anywhere
but from a distance"

have an ineffable day!

<3<3<3

first published 11/2/20
decided this deserved many republishes-- have to get this out there.
keep hoping, my friends!

and is this enough?

27

sometimes i think of/ life in terms of a story./ a book. a movie./ a long and harrowing journey/ with twists and turns and double- crosses./ a plot map./

except this time/ nothing is predictable./

right now/ all i feel/ is fear./ dread./
hope leaching out of me/ onto the/ cold tile floor./ dripping./ until there is nothing/ left but panic./

i am rising/ and rising/ and rising./
tension/ and premonition/

are building/ and building/ and building./

i am on a roller coaster/ slowly/ inching up/ and up/ and up.
until/ what?/

all i can do/ is hold my breath/ and hope/ and hope/ and my eyes are squesed shut/ and hope/ and my fists are clenched/ and hope/ and my heart is thumping in my ears/ and hope/ and try to breathe./

all i can do/ is wait for the climax/
the turning point/ the last stand./

and then we will be/ falling again/ and again/ and again/
and is this/ enough?/

for the immigrants/ and women/ and lgbtq+/ and indigenous/ and poc./

we can/ only/ hope./

i know that people will disagree with me. i know that, and yet i chose to write this.

election. day. is. tomorrow.

and the climate is dying and people are dying and our hope is dying.

so i chose to write. i chose to voice my opinions. this is my take on all of this. you can agree. you can disagree. but i chose to write, and this came out. tomorrow, my friends, tomorrow. <3<3<3

the way trump still won’t knowledge the green deal even if our environment is catastrophic <3 real awful! anyways. this piece was lovely!! the way u repeated the idea of hope was just so nice ;-; awesome work!

• dream02

**everyone

• dream02

Re: oh yeah. Honestly, I think eve th one who lives in America is so brave and I am praying no one gets hurt. I know people will, but I still am praying with all my heart that at the very least, no one has to attend a funeral because of this. I'm praying for y'all <3. And thanks. This was actually an older piece from about a year ago. I'm doing a bit better.

• Starflower

This describes my feelings exactly. My stomach has been in knots for I don't know how long. Our whole future is at stake here. I can't help thinking that all the red on the map is like blood. Maybe that's a little dramatic, but like you said, people are dying and our earth is dying.

• JustAnotherDarling

yes, yes, yes, and YES! this is what we Need. this also reminds me of something my teacher said to us today: "I've been voting for a couple elections now, and I'll be honest and say that I've been disappointed. That DOESN'T mean that I changed, or that my opinions have changed; you just gotta keep on keeping on" :)
    Re: thank youuuu and if you're ever going for world domination, sign me up as your vice president ;)
    okok fine that wasn't the best joke but fkdvbgidwsj this election has me tied up in knots

• ~wildflower~

Re: thanks for your congratulations, and thanks for telling me about unschooling! I was just doing a little research and it seems like a really interesting concept. The focus on curiosity and natural learning sounds great, but I agree that the social aspect would be hard, plus it requires a lot of work form parents.... If only schools could be more like that!
    That’s so exciting that you’ll be able to vote next election! In Australia you also have to be 18 to vote. I’m 15 now so there’s still a few years to go for me, but we’re getting there. Hey, and I’ll be thinking of you all with the whole election over there and crossing my fingers all day. It’s sad when it sometimes feels like your choosing the best of two not-great options, but - in your words - we just have to hope. And I really hope that this all turns out well for you!

• A blind (young) man

I've been following your election; I'm sad to say it but I've made jokes at america's expense because it looks so bleak. That's how bad it is. We're worried up here, and this poem resonates with me as as well. What happens in your country directly effects ours, so I've got to pray that today the right people come into power and save me from making those jokes any longer.

Besides that this poem is downright professional, you've got some real talent!

RE: Thanks for the beautiful comment! It's my favorite place for a reason. We do take driver's tests lol, I took mine right after my birthday in august, they just lost my license so I had to go in and remind them where I live. Been waiting quite a while!

• Molly_

Re: thank you! I completely forgot election day was today, I hope you're doing okay!
    This piece is harrowing as hell. I love it, and I absolutely hate it. It's heartbreaking.
    It's... beautiful!

• ~wildflower~

This is such a powerful piece! On a literary note, it is a wonderfully formatted piece and your use of repetition in so effective in delivering the message. The fast pace creates that tone of unrest and panic - I think this worked particularly well in the seventh stanzary thingy.
    But the true power of this piece is in its message. For me, the idea of hope as our only option made me consider the powerlessness I feel as a teenager and citizen of my country, and that I feel like I don’t have an opportunity to make change, even though hoping - to me - is not enough. Thank you for making me question again if my hope really is enough, and if I can make greater change. Thank you for voicing your opinion - no matter how controversial - (although I completely agree with you) because your voice is so so important and so is your message.
    re: thanks for your comment! I’m so glad that you could still take something from my piece even though you’re not Christian - that was really important to me when I was writing it. And don’t be sorry that you don’t pray! I do my thing, you do your thing, but we both care for these forgotten people and that’s all that really matters. Hope is a beautiful thing <3 <3

• lochnessie

re: yeahhh me too- not a great look for your country that there are two white straight male geriatric candidates (representationnn) although mind you we've got exactly the same in Australia although we DID have a female prime minister in 2010-2013. but biden wins by light years for policies on just about everything. god i'm no politician but aaaghch there you go my spiel. sorry this makes no sense it's early again and i'm d y i n g

• storie_bird

Hope is living - great job, mikrat!

Re: ooh yeah, I like it when I feel the environment - actually in Rwanda, we do not experience forest fires but the moon glows sometimes ...you know the causes of smoke into the sky are far more than forest fires... industries, vehicles and other activities as well!
    I remember the time I first saw of the red moon, I was kind of scared and couldn't capture why that was happening(the story to the reflection)!

re: thank you so much, dear <333 I'm so glad you liked my poem :) hang in there <33

• dead account

re: ah, that's super interesting! thanks for the idea!

• Jay Shortz

Very powerful and very well written. It’s like I could hear the frustration and emotion behind it. Whether I agree or not on opinions, this is a good and respectable piece.

• midnight.summerrose

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!!! This is amazing!!! :) Tomorrow is a big day!!

Re: no problem, i get it! maybe put in in your bio/message box?

yes, yes, yes. This is so wonderful. Praying for you, me, and the rest of the country <333

• katnissromanoff

I couldn't agree more. All we can do is hope.
    Also, thanks so much!! I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, it was pretty hard keeping out my personal opinions from the poem, but I really just wanted to get the message across to vote. I'll barely miss being able to vote in the next election, ugh. Anyway, amazing piece!!!

always love hearing from you, even if i think we stand in different political positions. your writing and ideas will move mts. what happened with chrysalism and golden dusk?

• Rose A(hiatus)

I can't even vote, but the stress of November 3 is starting to way down on me. I prefer not to voice my opinions on any candidate(talk less, smile more is something I tend to do). but I agree. we have a lot of problems. Our climate is one of many(why do we have so many problems?)This is a very powerful and beautiful piece. well done!

• colorwheel

This is exceptionally well written and unfortunately very true. I could feel the tension rising as I read it.

• pyrrhic

sorry, i'm back. i just can't stop reading this. it's so powerful. thank you for writing this, by the way. sure, some people won't like it, but the same can be said about any piece. but i did need this. the stress of the elections have been getting to me, and it's refreshing to know i'm not alone. <33

• Rachaelgrace

« and the climate is dying and people are dying and our hope is dying. »  what a powerful piece! I wish there was so much less dying.

• dee’s abditory

astonishing. I can't say i agree with your political opinions, but the poem is beautiful and heartfelt.

• pyrrhic

amazing. i felt this in my very bones. what does it say about out 'great' country that teenagers fear for their very own futures? i myself have never wished more to be able to vote. i'm so happy you were able to put this feeling into words. i tried, and was unable to. beautiful <333

• dead account

gorgeous piece.
    -ML

• Sanjana Sunilkumar

Re : Thank you! I am glad you like it, btw which quote did you find good?

• lochnessie

oh you gorgeous person thank you for writing this.
    i mean... i think i can assume who you'd be voting for? but i won't? because i may be viscerally destroyed by the fifty billion republicans on here OOPS I SAID IT SUE ME

• lilybeam26

I think it was beautiful, more people need to write like this

• sci-Fi

<3 thank you.
    VOTE PEOPLE. IT'S KINDA VERY IMPORTANT.