amazing grace

Christ is the way!!
Prayer Warrior
Writer
Poet
Songwriter
Psalms 19:14
lover of books
girl
daydreamer
social misfit (and proud of it)

So...I hope to be published some day, but I still have a long way to go.

Be sure to check out my series, The Girl Of Summer, C.R.U.S.H., agent files, Sea Shells And Glass Bottles. If you want me to notify you when a new chapter comes out please comment.

I liked the idea of a grab bag so here's mine:
January Grab Bag
#1: If you could live in any book world which would it be? Write a short story about your time there.
#2: A list of books you could read over and over again.
#3: What would it be like to switch bodies with your best friend? Short story
#4 A poem about two things that are opposite.
#5 Write about a weird experience you had once.
I would love to see what you write.
Don't be afraid to ask for a review. :)

Sewer Rats

I wake with a start. The Device on my neck gives me a shock, telling me it's time for my shift. As my eyes get used to the darkness  I see another girl next to me. I live down here in what would be considered the sewers. This is where they put all the kids that don't have parents anymore. No one Above, that's what we call the real world, even knows we exist. The government takes a kid whose parents are no more, and shoves 'em down here with the rest of us. Some of us can't even remember the light of day. Our numbers have been growing in the past weeks, which only shows signs of unrest from the world above, but still its got to be better than down here.

After another jolt from my tracker, I know that if I don't hurry punishment will be knocking at my door. Quickly, I rush to put on my set of day clothes. brown pants that only reach my mid calves, and a brown shirt to match. I begin to make my way to the fields down here, where I work.

I pass the training hall where a group of young ones are being taught their already decided tasks. I rub my mother's bracelet, as I always do when I see them. I suppose it comes from the fear of remembering that age, when at five years old, I watched my mother murdered for not letting them take me.

My father had died in a top secret goverment accident, and didn't want anyone to know that he ever existed. They were going to put my mother in a holding cell, and send me down here, but my mother wouldn't have it. Since she was in the way they got rid of her. That's what they do. Even then years later I haven't forgotten, the terror.

I walk through the halls, avoiding eye contact whenever possible, it just reminds me of the sadness that is my future. I pass room after room filled with people who all want out, but none know how. Soon, I reach the room where I work everyday, raising up food for the people above, and trying to sneak some scraps for myself.

Here we grow karps, drazes, plocks, and micks, all of which grow without ever feeling the sun on them. The karps are fruits with thorns coming out from all sides, I will admit that I find their taste revolting. drazes are much sweeter, even though they are hard to get to since they grow at the top of trees. plocks have a fuzzy outside, but the inside is as sour as can be. And micks, my favorite, Taste like the sweetest apple and the saltiest nut combined.

If you get stuck with this job, you do this from the moment you're done with your training.  If you're lucky, when your're eighteen, you get the chance to go above and sell these, and if you're really lucky you might strike up a work deal with a kind merchant and get out of this horrid place. 

I begin my work. I stroke the dirt again and again with my hoe. After only a few minutes of this, I hear something out of the ordinary to my left. It is a boy, not much younger than I, being beaten by a guard. I take a step towards the two. By this point, a crowd has gathered. No one seems to know what the boy has done wrong. 

I know this is it, the chance I've been waiting for. After calmly backing out of the crowd, I make a run for it. I take a right than a left, heading to the only exit I know of. These breaks are not uncommon, but I know this one will be different. I will be the one to escape. 

I hear the guards behind me as I begin the climb up the ladder. Soon, I am pushing on the hatch the separates my world from the one above. I look down to see a guard climbing up behind me, but once I climb out, I shut the hatch and run towards the nearest ally. 

One by one, three guards came up. After looking around for a second, one of them hits a button on a little device he holds. I feel a sharp, shooting pain in my neck, from the tracker, but still, I stay quiet. 

I'm free, is the first thought that pops into my head, but I know I still have some hard stuff ahead of me.

After the guards had left I walk, casually, in the opposite direction. I make my way to the market stalls, hoping to find someone kind enough to offer me work, or at least scraps to eat. But I suppose my luck had run out. All the merchants are crabby, and stubborn. I don't even get a cup of water out of them.

That night, I sleep in an abandoned hut, only to wake the next morning to find the world around me in a panic. There is punching and the firing of guns. I now understand why our numbers below had been increasing. It's full out war up here. 

I somehow manage to make my way to the market I had been at yesterday, only to find it in ruins. Everything is broken and burnt. It looks like the attack had taken the people by surprise. I crouch down to examine the remains, only to stand back up when I hear someone say, "Do you know how to fight?" I looked up and saw it was a man talking to me, he looked as if he had been at war for some time, it was written all over his face.

I give a nod as my only reply.

"Then here," he said, tossing me a gun."You're with us now, kid."
Word count: 990