mindfruit (hiatus)

he/him | taiwanese-vietnamese
Catholic
basketballer and pianist
artist (sometimes)
Sanderson, Rowling, Riordan, McMann, and Messenger

est. July 7th, 2020

Life is Dynamite!

Hey all, I'm taking a little break from writing and this site right now. I love WtW and everyone on it, but this week has been pretty emotional for me (don't worry, nothing bad happened, and it's not writer's block either. I'm just mentally rocky and busy at the moment). When will I be back? I don't know, but I think it won't be too long. I just need to sort some things out. I hope you all understand :)

Journey before destination.

An Aura of Foreboding

Vance was petrified, but he continued forward. He tread with deliberate steps over the gnarled path, feet stumbling occasionally over unseen roots or indentations. No moon or stars were out, but even if they were, it would’ve mattered not, for a thick and damp fog had suffocated the forest in an unearthly blanket. Once green mosses and ferns now had a stony, dead look - and yet, the forest was very much alive. Twisted limbs leaned in on either side, their long, sinister fingers stretching for, reaching for, seizing Vance. A frigid wind would blow from time to time, seeping into every opening in his jacket, every hole in his shirt, every pore on his body. Save for the sounds of his shoes sinking into the dirt and his heart slamming against his shivering chest, all was quiet in the forest. Gone was the sweet symphony of chirps and giggling; it was replaced by a perturbing silence, like an abandoned theater at night. The low visibility threw off all sense of direction and feel - everything seemed distant yet impending. And even though he couldn’t see it, there was something following Vance, out of reach and out of sight, but still there. Nevertheless, he wrapped his arms around his torso, put a little pep into his step, and whistled an out-of-place tune to help him push forward.
Title derived from Disneyland’s The Haunted Mansion script

• November 2, 2020 - 8:05am (Now Viewing)

• Holy_Grail

I love the description and the picture it created in my head. You did a great job. Well-done.

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: oh okay! And yes, they can be confusing I guess! I was curious, I’m actually on another that a friend just created, so if you’re ever interested I could give you the link. But I love Disney! Do you have a fav Disney movie (do you like Star Wars; that’s not really a question I guess cause I saw your previous pfp!)

Re: Lol it's horrifunny.

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: haha, thank you! Any specific YouTube things? XD And Yes, but not much! BTW, idk are you on any other writing sites besides this one? And would you want to be on any others?

Re: Okay you asked for it. Storytime: At my old church, there was a version of youth group for 4th and 5th graders that I was in. One night, we had a massive relay race, and one of the segments was to eat like 8 saltine crackers and then whistle. I volunteered for that segment. Unfortunately, the saltine crackers that they used happened to be horrifyingly stale. So like half a dozen 4th and 5th graders stuffed a ton of disgusting saltines in their faces and all realized the problem at approximately the same time, and the whole game froze as we all ran for the water dispenser... then the little paper cups ran out, and several of us (me included) resorted to taking turns crouching underneath the water spout while another person pressed the tab, releasing the water into our open mouths. We were that desperate. To this day, I gag at the thought of eating them. Even though I used to love the salty crunch, that night kind of ruined them for me lol. But at least I have a funny story, amirite?

re: aww, thank you! and yes, pretty rare! pho is indeed the best thing ever. don't feel stupid! "chi" is vietnamese, and it's how you refer to an older girl that's not like, old enough to be your aunt. it's how you refer to your older sister in the family! i'd call you "em"!

• tas (yellowbrickrd)

Hii would it be possible for you to review my novel competition entry? desperate for feedback lol. dont feel bad if u dont have time ive got exams too :)

• Ren

The description, you've used is so amazing! I really like how it all comes together, to give a spooky vibe
    Re: Yes, I'm an Army! The quote is from moonchild RM's song plus my pfp is Jin's song Awake. Tho, my bias is V. Are you an Army too? If so, what's your favourite song and favourite member?

• Emi (Revival Year #NEWYEAR)

The word "gnarled" always gives me an ancient forest vibe. I love how you capture the scene and eeriness!

• Jj101

Re: Well besides that poem thingy and school, I'm fine :)

• Book Kitten

Hi! I published chapter 2 of the F5 catastrophe if you are interested!

• Rohan’s Defender

And you’re more than welcome for the review! :) :)

• Rohan’s Defender

Alright, a reply more in full (sorry I was rushed last night!): I really liked the info, and I’m with Anne about how height isn’t something to be self-conscious about! Also, that’s cool! So I’m older then, mine’s 12/18/2005! And hah, yes it feels like way longer, I agree! XD

Also omigosh you have the same birthday as my mom! Awesome!

So I saw your picture and bio! Cool! Okay but don't you dare get down on yourself about being a little short. I started a whole internet fight once about how short guys are cute too and people who body shame them are dumb so just shush. Plus you're only 14 so you'll probably still grow a little (or a lot). Oh and I wish I was right about your hairstyle, but I imagined it even shorter. At least I got the correct hair texture? Lol. Oh, and saltine crackers... I have a permanent vendetta against those XD.

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: hey! Thanks so much! Nice info and picture!! Thanks for sharing that; I prob wouldn’t have seen it otherwise! XD Also, when is your b-day? I’m curious who’s older between us, lol! XD

• Rohan’s Defender

Random question: what is your hair and eye color, lol? Anne and I briefly discussed it and I was curious!

• madeline3.14159

This is sooo cool!!! The atmosphere is so beautifully expressed and I almost feel as if I am there!! Alsoo. You're reading Mistborn?? I just read that a month or so ago. It was soooo good!! The whole series was phenomenal!! I'm struggling not to commit a grave atrocity by spoiling... XD

Re: *squeaks happily*

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: wow, that’s so cool! You were that young?! Wow! My cousin is 17, and he’s really good at it! And my uncle is a coach, so that’s neat too! Yes, Madeline3.14159 and I are going to start a series where we each describe what we imagine other WtWers to look like. We are each doing four, and then we’ll pass it off to someone else! That will be interesting to see everyone’s perspectives! And yes, I definitely did enjoy your bio! Thank you about my piece; it feels like I’ve been in this site for a long time even though it’s only been a couple months. Yess, now you are my WtW brother (I’m gonna go add it to my bio!)! :D And I live in Kentucky. You live in (or near) CA? Is that right, or maybe not, XD

• Rohan’s Defender

Ps. You bio (the part about being back from the dead) is really kinda funny! XD

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: haha, well I don’t know about that, but thank you! That means a lot to me! :) And Yes, equestrian or rider is correct! XD How long have you played basketball? I have a cousin who is amazing at it (I’ve only ever played it a couple times, and once I got hit in the face, lol). Random: Anne adopted you?! So you and F’Otter are brothers now? XD I need to give you a title on my bio........ do you wanna be my WtW bro, lol?

Re: Thanksers! Lol I'm terrified of spiders so no judgement from me. And yay!! Imma go make room for your name in my bio. :D

Re: Thank you! ^U^ Haha good luck with that spider. *shudders* Can I officially adopt you?

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: aw, thank you! Haha, I should write a book... and your grandma too?! XD
    I did have a show! I got two second place ribbons and a first place! So it went really well, and I hadn’t even ridden that horse before. Thank you for asking! What have you been doing recently (besides school, lol)?

• sci-Fi [kinda-sorta-maybe hiatus]

Re: You know, I also thought it wasn't the best, but I still loved it. Way darker than I thought it would be, but you be you Rick. I was really annoyed with the ending though. Like, I get that the vibe was supposed to be "stories never end", but like, that was the end of a 15 book series!!! I wish he had done something more more finalizing. It would have made me cry a lot more, but it would have been worth it.

• Rohan’s Defender

Hey my dude! I know you’ve been busy, but I just wanted to stop by and say I hope you’re well and we (speaking for everyone) miss your activity here! But I personally TOTALLY understand about being busy (your message kinda cracks me up). But anyway, hope you're well and CONGRATULATIONS on 100+! :)

• therisingwriter

Awesome piece, loved everything in it!!

• Rohan’s Defender

“Save for the sounds of his shoes sinking into the dirt and his heart slamming against his shivering chest, all was quiet in the forest.” That was my favorite part! This is amazingly descriptive and I love the imagery! And CONGRATSSSSS ON 100 followers!

These descriptions are really really really good... but "put a little pep into his step," was my favorite part XD

• Bhavya's Treasure

These are such vivid descriptions and your piece justifies the prompt to a great extent!!

'it was replaced by a perturbing silence, like an abandoned theater at night' Loved this comparison.

And a big CONGRATS on 100... :D

WOW, this is so deliciously rich and vibrant, and I love every word of it. Also, 100? That's awesome!! Congrats!!

• sci-Fi [kinda-sorta-maybe hiatus]

Congrats on 100!!!!

• dead account

nice! your use of desc. words in this piece was really nicely structured, and helped to give it a spooky feel.
    -mintyleaf.