anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

any title ideas? i just slapped a title on this, so... yeah.

pull us ever tighter—but on both ends

8
let us be pulled
in both directions
the tension, when properly executed
shall make us as taut as a bowstring
but ever so slightly will we be swayed by opinions
leaning to one side
then the other
but never giving into
the extreme left
the extreme right
they pull us ever tighter
so that in our idyllic and convoluted lives
we may grasp that elusive shadow
balance.
Recently, we've been having some excellent and scintillating conversations in my history class. I was debating (but really low-key, more like just presenting one side) about passing a certain proposition, and another girl gave reasons against. Two others spoke for and against a different prop. This is not an AP/IB/Honors class, so usually for anyone to do more than breathe in that class is unusual. Maybe three-four people out of 16-18 speak regularly. But today, one girl surprised me—she not only had excellent points and thoughts, she seemed genuinely interested. It just goes to show that you never know someone. 
This poem is directly inspired by my history teacher. She suggested that we need to let ourselves be pulled by either extreme (politically speaking) so that we stay in the middle, finding moderation and balance. (Think physics—you pull on a string from both ends with equal tension, and it hardly moves one way or the other.)
And yeah, I felt like posting, so I did.
<3

beautifullllllllll <333 wow, im in love with this!!! :)

• V-Rose

Re: Thanks for the comment! It's awesome! I don't need to be normal but I mean... can you actually define normal? Is it possible to do?

• queenie

i like the metaphor you use; 'a bow being taut'; reminds me of a certain character from a certain dystopian politically-charged novel.
    this is a great piece.
    -queenie

I love this so much!!! It's got such a beautiful meaning!

wow. this is really interesting and shows that people can surprise you. i can't wait to start high school (8th grade in a small k-8 school suckkksss) next year and make new friends and take more interesting classes. <3<3<3

• ~wildflower~

Re: thanks so much for your congratulations and comment on my speech! Honestly, I don’t yet know what specifically should be changed to improve our school system, but I think the first step should focus on shifting the focus from success and assessments to learning - although I don’t know how that would come about. Earlier this year I was feeling really lost and hopeless about school. I was getting so stressed from it and knew that I shouldn’t have to feel like this, but I couldn’t escape it. I guess I wrote the speech just to get that all out and shed light onto this issue that is rarely acknowledged. I didn’t know what to do about school, but I believed that something could and must be done, and I hoped that by stating my feelings and evoking further contemplation on them I could bring us a step closer to a solution. Anyway, thanks again for your comment!

Also, please do not take my footnotes in offense; there are some wonderful non-honors classes, and the students in there are just as bright and capable. People, including me, have a variety of reasons for not taking a higher-level class, whether they believe they can pass it or not, and I don't mean to degrade anyone. It is true that people in my higher level classes sometimes display more of a willingness to engage and learn, but that is not always the case, as one girl showed me today. The reason I'm taking a non-AP history course is because AP is more rigorous than honors and I didn't feel like subjecting myself to that kind of workload, since my other three core classes are honors. (Honors and AP are different at my school—AP is weighted and you can take a test at the end of the year to earn college credits, while honors is just more advanced and more work, usually.)