poems_of_souls

Female
14
Sporty
Artistic
Writer
Poems

I usually write poems, but I really enjoyed writing this piece. Hope you enjoyed!

Final Breath

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

2
We watched in unison as the timer stopped. The complex machine released the gas. At first, nothing changed. But it wasn't long before the people around us started gasping for air. I thought it was just a toxic gas, but I would soon find out that it was so much more.
    "Come on, we have to go!" He looked at me with scared eyes.
    I just continued to stare at him, completely oblivious to this whole situation. He grabbed me by the arm and started running.
    "Where are we going?" I had to yell to be loud enough for him to hear me with all the screaming and choking all around us. "We have no where to go." His steps faltered for a fraction of a second, but he quickly recovered.
    "I don't know yet. We will find out."
    "This is our home. If we wait it out then the gas will slowly go away." This time he completely stopped, so that he could look at me.
    "That wasn't just any gas, Lana. It was a gas that changes the entire structure of air. It turns it into poison. All the oxygen in the world will soon be deadly, and we will all perish over time. So we must go now. Get as far away from here so we can live more days.
    "If we are going to die anyway, why not stay home. Die in our home. Together." I tried to give him the safest smile I had. If I was going to die it would be here in my home.
    "What about our life together?" His eyes were pleading.
    "We shall live together among the Heavens."
    He walked over and embraced me.
    "I love you." He said.
    "See you in the Heavens." I reached up and kissed him.

1