Ibex

as in Presbyterian Church in America
Female
Writer
Novelist
Poet!
Reader
Ambivert or something
Band nerd + Drum Major
Planet Earth nerd
etc, etc
Joined September 10, 2019

My most recent project. Enjoy and review if you so desire.

New Novel -- Prologue

3
The messenger was back. He was back in all his snooty glory, freshly-shined shoes clacking on the marble floor, gnarled staff in his right hand. He pinned his cloak with the King’s sign, the golden eagle. Golden eagles; how Anders hated eagles. He hated them with all his body, mind, and soul, just like he hated the King.

Anders watched as the messenger sauntered across the room, stopping at the base of the throne, glaring upwards. This time, the guards did not try to halt him; they knew how brash and bold he was, with his fiery tongue that uttered nothing but endless threats. Anders braced himself for the onslaught to come.

“Governor Anders—”

Anders rolled his eyes, “King Anders is what you will call me, messenger.”

“That title is reserved for another, Governor. It has not been given to you,” the messenger paused before resuming his tirade. “The King begs of you, Governor, return to him now, while you still can. Take the position he has given you, and desire nothing more.”

“And what deathly punishment will follow if I do not?” Anders leaned forward, setting his chin on his fist. “Tell me, messenger. You are always full of such threats.”

“I have told you before, and I will tell you again: if you do not surrender your rule, what will follow will only be the natural repercussions,” the messenger answered. “Your kingdom will crumble. Your dynasty will fall. And your name will be trampled upon like dirt. You will find yourself robbed of everything you hold dear.”

Anders chuckled to himself, “Your threats are empty, messenger. What kind of magic would cause such catastrophe? Certainly not something the King would dare to employ. Or has he turned to darker methods?”

The messenger bristled, “No magic is required for the fall of your city and its evil. You have brought these consequences upon yourselves, Anders, you and Tyanna both.”

Anders glanced at the woman standing beside him. Until now she had remained silent, studying her painted nails, yawning whenever she asked one of her attendants for the time. Now, her eyes jerked upwards, and she stared down at the
messenger in absolute shock, “What did you say about me, messenger?”

“That reminds me, I have a message for you as well," the messenger reached into his satchel and retrieved a scroll, cracking open the seal and unrolling it. "It's been handwritten just for you, Tyanna. From the Firstborn: 'I beseech you, Tyanna, my beloved, return to me, and forsake this lowly betrayal you have chosen. Do you not remember the love I gave you, how I pulled you off the streets and made you royalty? Come home, Tyanna, and I will be waiting.'" The messenger stuffed the scroll into his satchel and looked up at Anders and Tyanna, whose faces had suddenly turned stony. With a half-hearted flourish, he added, "Thus says the Firstborn."

“And what will he do?” Tyanna laughed. “What sort of terrible prophecy do you have for me? Will I die if I do not return?
The messenger’s eyes were mournful as he responded, “I’m afraid you already have.”

Fists clenched, Tyanna stormed down the steps to the base of Anders' throne and grabbed the messenger by the collar,

"You're lucky I don't strangle you right here, messenger. If I ever see you again, I'll…"

"Tyanna," Anders murmured. "He's not worth the effort."

The woman eyed the messenger with disdain before releasing him. As he staggered away from her, she spat, "Tell the Firstborn that our betrothal was worthless. His words mean nothing to me. I am happier now, with Anders, than I ever was with him."

"Very well," the messenger sighed. "Since neither of you will return, I will take my leave. Farewell, Governor and Lady. I wish you hope in the trials to come."

As he turned and walked back towards the door, Anders leaned towards Tyanna and muttered, "What an odd sort of man. So trusting in his King."

"Indeed," Tyanna nodded, watching as the guards led him out of the throne room and away from her sight. "He will soon learn that the King’s words are far from trustworthy."

"I suppose, now that this whole ordeal is over, we should announce our engagement?"

Anders agreed, "Yes. The country could use a ray of sunshine in the midst of this war. We should order a nationwide celebration."

"Nationwide celebration," she shook her head and smiled. "Just think, Anders: Inquinate is finally its own nation, after so many years spent crushed beneath the King’s fist. And I can think of no one more qualified to rule than you."

"Thank you, my dear," Anders appreciated her faith, but he couldn't banish the messenger's words from his mind. You will find yourself robbed of everything you hold dear. The messenger was a mere fool, wasn't he? Placing too much hope in his King? Anders knew the King could only speak lies. These prophecies were nothing more than impossibilities.
First segment of a new novel! I'm still in the early chapters, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

• Huba Huba

This is so interesting! I like how you aren't like explaining the whole story in the beginning and revealing bits and pieces along the way. In addition, the name Tyranna. I already have a feeling about what kind of character she's going to be. Good luck on this novel, and I'll be excited to read more!
    Also
    I love you. Thank you so much for your review, it was so helpful and encouraging! I'm currently revising the poem, and I'll publish it in about 30 minutes. Thank you for the scholastic advice too!

• queenie

BIG ANCIENT ROME/GREECE VIBES HERE-
    LOVE IT.

Ooh, how exciting! I can't wait to read more. :)