Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer (soprano)
Poet
Twin (fraternal)
Spoonie
Disfusive
Highly Sensitive Person
Living oxymoron
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Republishing 3 months later because there are people who need to read this! I also found a few more stretch marks that are fainter than the first ones but are still there. And it turns out that it's really common for people with a chronic illness I have to get stretch marks and scars more easily. Something about cellulite I think. Also, for people who have just recently noticed some bright red or purple stretch marks, I want to reassure you that it's normal and okay. They'll probably fade a little bit, but even if they don't, I promise that the people who matter most won't judge you for them.

Fingerprints of Change

31

I woke up one morning,
and while changing my clothes,
I happened to look down.
Red streaks marked my skin.

Fear clutched my heart as it tried to comprehend
why the blanket of tissue covering it
was different.

Panicked googling lead to confusing discoveries.
"Stretch marks"
Mind racing to understand
why I'd have them.
I thought those were for pregnant women
and those who lose weight quickly.

More research lead me to realize that
this is normal
for those who change all at once.
But I'm practically as flat as ever...

The pondering leads to another question.
If this is natural for teen girls,
why isn't it normalized?

These are things I shouldn't be afraid of,
so they should be explained
and celebrated,
not hidden away for a terrifying surprise.

Still, I stayed quiet about my experience
until I stumbled over those thoughts again.
Realizing the power my gift gave me,
I picked up my laptop
and began to write.
This is really personal, and I honestly didn't want to write about it. But I realized that the more I'm silent, the more ashamed I will feel, even though I have nothing to be embarrassed about. And, there may be someone out there going through the same thing who's also scared to talk about it.

ok just gotta say, ik i've read this b4 but that was a while ago. i read this again, and it was really good to read bc i have stretch marks along my back, and i was suuuuper embarrassed about them, and scared, and idk just stuff. but reading this just reminded me that it's normal, it's nothing to be ashamed of, and it's all a part of growing. :) love you girl, your poetry is so comforting and full of love!!

replying: yeah thats fine,as long as my work isnt stolen or anything lol

ah this is such a good and important piece anne! i also have stretch marks,a few light purple ones on the inside of my legs.im pretty sure it was because i had a huge growth spurt.and its just really impowering to read this and see that im not alone.

replying: aww thank you so much,cant wait to read it!

• Hayley Jade

i, i honestly love this. And i think it should be normalized. I don't like talking about my body, but i have stretch marks. i was overweight in 7th grade and something personal happened and over the past 4 years i gained an eating disorder and now am considered underweight. If society was so degrading eating disorders wouldn't be as common.

• Rachaelgrace

This is so courageous, and I totally understand. Thank you for writing a piece like this. It is super admirable :)

• lochnessie

...thank you for writing about this. when i'm a bit older this will probably make more sense XD but i can feel that this poem would help so many people and validate so many feelings <333

• Wisp

Lovely lovely lovely. I adore the rawness here, the idea that such commonalities like these are looked down upon and are not normalized. Ah, there's a contentment I feel reading this, so thank you for that. :)

• dream02

Re: hahaha yeah I mean, ugh why is this complicated. I wish I didn't have feelings LOL. And thx. And don't we all use too many questions mark sometimes????? Lol?

• dream02

Amazing! This piece is absolutely amazing. It's like you bared your soul to help others... love it! <3

• anemoia by a thread

it takes a lot of guts to write about yourself in any way or context. writers often use other stories to make a point, and using yourself is a lot harder. i think this is really important. i've got stretch marks from when i was growing (which is never gonna happen again, haha, because i'm doomed to be short forever) and sometimes it does bother me. that you found the courage to write about this and you knew that others would need this, would relate to this... that's incredible.

Re- Yup!! Ahh ill fix that!!

• ava09 (sorta back)

love and support you!!! this was incredibly brave of you to write and it should definitely become more normal to talk about. you're leading the way to the world where that's the case! <3

This is really brave of you. Thank you for writing this. I love how you brought this topic into the spotlight! And btw part three is out! :)

huh... i really liked this :) i think keeping insecurities silent just make them fester and take over your mind, so this really brought it out into the open for me :) <33 love you, dear!

This is so amazing! I never really thought about stretch marks before in that way.
    Re: Well, I read the Wikipedia article on Katniss a few years ago, and at one point (before the version was deleted) it featured a critic who claimed that Katniss wasn't like...(how do I say this nicely)...sexual enough vs. Bella. (personally, not that I've ever read Twilight, I know enough about Bella to think she is such a wimp next to Katniss).

• Abrianna

Re: Ikr? I was ecstatic! I wrote him a letter simply saying I respected him and was so glad he was elected and that I was praying for him in maybe the beginning of last year. In June life really sucked and I was Not having a good few weeks, and I get this letter, so wonderfully official, and was like, "Who on earth wrote me this?" Well it was from Trump, saying thanks, and to keep working hard, and some other stuff. I was literally shocked. But anyhow it hangs above my desk in honor.:)

• books4life

thank you for being soo brave and sharing! your thoughts and words are always appreciated :). i don't have stretch marks but i do have insecurities about my body, so i guess in a way, you just reminded me i'm not alone.

(wow that sounded so cheesy apologies darling)

• LadyBug...

Thanks for writing this! It was oddly inspiring to me. That's probably just a "me" thing about it being inspiring.
    Re: I published my version of your dream. (except I decided to try my hand at screen writing and so scene one is up but it doesn't match your dream yet.) I know I already said this but thanks so much for putting your dream up.

i've never seen someone write about this and i got to say this is so relatable and brave of you. why isn't it normalized? very good question. sigh. well it's normal, at least for me. keep writing! <3

• LaurenBeeWrites

This is a very much needed message! As a teen that struggles to love her body sometimes, I can very much relate to this. This piece could help so many people! It takes a lot of courage to write stuff like this! <3 <3 <3 You go!

• ~madeline~

Wow this is so powerful!! "If this is natural for teen girls,
    why isn't it normalized?" Such a good question! Thanks so much for writing this!!

ah, i never realized this was a thing! thank you sm for writing this! <33