mirkat

est. 10/15/20
14│INFP-A│poet│old soul

i've always fallen in love with the ideas of people.

have an ineffable day! look at my message board!
i can't express how much i love it here...

<3<3<3

you, my lucky friend, have entered into my mind...

how to describe myself? weird, funny, kind, and (sometimes) unstable (to the point of explosion).

say hi to wtw friends (& lunch buddies): sci-fi, lochnessie, birdyofprey, abby.a, paisley blue, almost flora kane, rwong, sunv, and ambedo & sugar cookies (#holidayvibes)

collections: stardust (poetry 6 parts), these altered truths (poetry 3 parts)

“I’ve always liked quiet people: You never know if they’re dancing in a daydream or carrying the weight of the world.” - John Green, Looking for Alaska

fav musical artists: Sleeping at Last, Dodie, The Beatles

Dear Greta

18
Dear Greta,

I know you are never going to read this. I know that it's a one in a million shot that I'll will get to Hollywood. I know that the hopes, dreams, and worship of a lowly 14-year-old girl mean nothing to you. I know all of this and so much more...
and yet, I have to write. To you. For me. About the impact you and your movies have had on my life. 

So... where to start? I guess it was in 2019. You were on NPR talking about your new movie adaptation of Little Women. My family and I were on a road trip. I wanted to turn the radio off, but my mom insisted we had to listen to the whole interview (and boy, was she right). I got more and more interested about your writing process and the movie. And just so you know, at this point I hadn't read Little Women yet. I was like, well this lady is actually kinda cool. and now I want to read this book and watch this movie.

Okay, after that whole radio show, I completely forgot about you. Well, then it was Christmas 2019. Little Women came out. I went to see it with a couple of friends. The lights went out. The popcorn ran out before the movie actually began.

And then the movie did start. I saw Jo March bustle into the Daily Volcano Office. I saw Amy in Paris and Meg buying a dress... and then I saw the dance and Laurie and Marmee and Beth. Then John and Fred and now the girls are growing up... I saw everything. Felt everything. I cried and laughed. I was Jo, an ambitious, humorous, young writer. I was Amy, a selfish, starving, young artist. Honestly, I don't know how to describe how I felt. It was a spiritual moment for me.... I found myself in these girls. I belonged. Whisked away into this magical land. Okay, now I'm crying in real life... well, I had to know more. How could you lay my soul and thoughts out on this-- this screen in such a beautiful way?

I started reading interviews and articles. I learned about your life and what these little women meant to you. I was transfixed. Then I watched the Lady Bird trailer. And wow, that just blew me away. I was no longer this kid. Suddenly, I had dreams to become a screenwriter and director like you. Make some other little girl sitting in the dark feel the things I had felt. Like they belonged and were loved, at least for those two hours. 

From there I entered my "classical faze". I read Little Women, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables, and Emily of New Moon. And a miraculous thing happened. I saw myself within these spirited, ambitious, and strong girl protaginists. You see, before watching your Little Women, I used to dismiss the classic books. What did I need with these old, stiff stories? Well, as it  turns out, I do need them. I need them to understand my life right now. I need them to escape into a different place and time. I need these kinds of books and stories for so many things, and you helped me see that. 

Okay, through all of this, I was still obsessed with you and filmmaking in general. I read your Little Women screenplay over and over. The Lady Bird screenplay three times. Watched videos on YouTube about making films. Read William Goldman's book Adventures in the Screen Trade. I even started writing little ten to twenty page screenplays myself. 

One afternoon, I decided I was going to make a "movie". ANd so I did... I pounded out a two page script, grabbed my dad's phone, and convinced my brother to film me. I had to do some reshoots and I had trouble editing the music in, but when all was said and done I had a small, two minute, silent, short film. Successs! It was actually pretty good for a first attempt if you ask me... anyway, I got an unlisted YouTube channel and posted it. 

And that was the moment I knew I wanted to do and be and see and breathe and make movies. Somehow, someway. Mark my words, I'm going to get there. Well at least I have the hope if I don't have the talent or the luck. That's gotta count for something.

Anyway, anyway, anyway. Greta, you are such a kind, funny, brilliant person. When writing out scripts or directing, you bring all of these attributes to the movie you are helping to make. You taught me to laugh and love and write feverishly. You taught me to look for the story, the structure. You taught me to be like Jo and Lizzy and Anne and Emily. I thank you for everything, Greta.

I know I'll never meet you or get to be you or write or direct so flawlessly as you, but I do know that you have inspired me. So if I ever do run into you (like that would happen...), I want to hand this letter to you. I want to say I wrote it when I was 14. I want to watch you read it. I want, I want, I need, I have to... make movies and spin stories and give people the gift of a life changing movie. Because that is what you did for me.

See you in ten years when I walk through the Universal Pictures gate. For now... I'll write and read and watch and try and hope. I can't wait for that day. So... thank you, Greta. It's not a goodbye, but a begining.

Love,
Miriam 

P.S. “I want to do something splendid . . . something heroic or wonderful that won’t be forgotten after I’m dead. I don’t know what, but I’m on the watch for it and mean to astonish you all someday.” This quote from lovely Jo March is literally my life. Again, thank you and goodbye and hello. <3 <3 <3

I've imagined writing this letter to Greta Gerwig, my role model, so many times. This was the first time I actually wrote something down. I... well, what do you guys think? Places to make it better? And no, I am so not mailing/emailing this to her... <3 <3 <3

re: awww thank you! :) I listened to the song and watched the video and was just... filled with the urge to write a poem... i'm glad you felt what i did!!!! <333

• hold on to the memories #NEWYEAR [slightly hiatus]

Re: first of all, i started anne of green gables, and it's amazing. i love anne, probably because she reminds me a lot of myself in her always-imagining, always-talking nature. i'm not very far, though.
    second, i watched the other two videos. i have to say, the editing has been put together very nicely! with the right music and transitions and filters, it feels like i'm watching a real trailer. i love the typewriter one! vintage typewriters are so cool! and i feel like you really could make a full-length movie out of it with some development... i'm already bursting with inspiration. cute dress, btw.
    in the shoot your shot, the scene where she was about to give up really hit. with the sort of sepia filter, it felt bleak, but it became the turning point. i especially liked the way you pushed the ball away, as if even seeing it was too difficult to bear. question: do you play bb? are you super committed to it, or kind of, or just for fun, or none of the above? also, the credits made it feel professional, and i like the silent film aspect of it. and the black and white shots in typeface were neat.
    side note: your yard is beautiful. and i love the cameo by your cat! i love cats. i have a cat who is very fluffy and orange and white with a slightly flat face (he's a persian and his name is uno. like the number one in spanish, yes. i just wish i had a dos. someday, when i'm in my eighties or nineties, my great-grandkids will ask me, 'why is your cat named cien?' and i'll tell them, 'that's 100 in spanish, and it all started with uno...' that might be too many cats in a lifetime, tho.

• midnight.summerrose

Re: thank you so much!! That's so sweet of you! :)
    This is amazing! <3

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: you literally laughed?! Well, I’m glad I made you smile! :) And uhhh.... I’m not sure about going back. XD Oh my gosh, it was weird!! Thank you for the encouragement, but I might just stick to another place to get my pretzels?! XD Thank you for the comment! :)

• Emi (Revival Year #NEWYEAR)

This is so inspiring and beautiful! I'm also glad you enjoyed reading Little Women and Anne of Green Gables and others; they're such good books. Maybe you could make a movie adaptation of Emily of New Moon...nobody has made one yet to my knowledge and it would be a great book to adapt!

• AJ - Izzy

Re: Aw, thank you! That means more than you could know :)
    You are also so amazingly talented! This is amazing, and so heartfelt, I love every bit of it <3

• dream02

Re: hahaha true. Welp....ima do This!!!!!!!!!

• dream02

Re: I mean, I've liked him since July when we first met.....sooooo.....ughhhhhhhhhh lolllll. Thx for all ur help tho!

• dream02

Re: hahahaha yeah. I mean, I may just shoot my shot.....?

Re: thanks so much! it's ok, i'll still enjoy. i need to go to bed now, but just wanted to say that i'm recommending another user to talk to you, Tushar Mandhan, because this user also has a love of filmmaking, acting, directing, scriptwriting, etc. when i heard, i was like "wow, two cool people who have a similar passion and dream!" so yeah. bye for today!

• dream02

Re: LOL not going to say I love him lolol. Plus, he lives an hour and a half away and is in grade 11 (I'm grade 10) and so like if he could have a pretty girl who's his age that lives in his town, why would he like me..... but yeah idk I might tell him...

it doesn't let me see the other videos because i don't have a link, i think. for unlisted, someone has to have the direct link to see a video.

Re: ahhh it was hilarious! the part where "vinzini" switches the glasses was exactly like the movie! down to the voice and character and the slyness. i love the princess bride dearly, it's one of my favorite movies ever. so many classic moments. "the first is never get involved in a land war in asia" (which makes a ton of sense, if you think about it) and ohh you captured vinzini's sleaziness and "i think i'm so clever" sense very well. and the mysteriousness of wesley! (although we didn't know it was him at that moment). also, the scene switched felt smooth and i forget the word for that (i did look up some scriptwriting terms because i was writing a tv show with a friend at one point; it was pretty bad but fun) but nevertheless, the filming itself was clear and smoothly done. i think. i'm certainly no expert. the setting was beautiful and peaceful, and how did you show "Wesley's" hand in the shot with "vinzini"? was there someone else helping? additionally, the editing seemed smooth between scenes/shots and everything was cohesive.
    your passion for filmmaking and writing is so cool!

• dream02

And btw this piece is awesome! You so should email or mail it to her!!

• dream02

Re: haha yeh. I told my last crush I liked him, turned out really bad and this guy is legit my best guy friend and we text pretty much daily and I have absolutely fallen in love with his romantic poetry, and idk what I'd do if I ruined what we have..........

Re: the letter is srsly amazing, and i'm sure there are easy ways to reach her because every remotely famous person has a mailing address and an email. also, the link didn't work. it took me to my yt channel, which doesn't actually exist. i definitely get the privacy thing, and if i knew more about yt and editing and had someone to do stuff with, i would totally want to film short videos and stories. some stuff on yt can turn out really well... and i can't wait to see yours! i know you said the video quality isn't great, but still. i'm excited!

• roo.writes

i love this piece!! it so relatable, about wanting to carve your way in the world and do something memorable like jo...i like how this piece is so hopeful for the future. it makes young writers like us feel like we can do great things!
    replying: thank you for your kind comments!!! they mean a lot to me.

• Cici'sTimes

re: awww thanks for the flattering words

awww this is so sweet and inspirational! I loved reading this!
    re: thank you so much :) you're so sweet! I'm so glad you liked the poem--like i said, i wrote it when i was pretty tired, and i wasn't sure if it was actually okay lol :) it's interesting that you feel like you're not yourself when you read it, because I sometimes feel like that when I'm writing my poetry. Like i'm something more, something bigger than just a girl laying in her bed with the covers around her shoulders at 10 at night. If you know what I mean. :)
    Also, YESSSSS I and You foreverrrrrrr I can't wait until you get to the end. :DDD your mind is gonna be BLOWN. :) Thanks for the encouragement, I'm getting close to the end of my stack of work!! have a good night (or evening or afternoon idk what time it is for you lol) dear! <33

• JustAnotherDarling

this is so sweet and wholesome, mirkat! you have a way of writing that inspires my soul; i want to become a screenwriter now, just because of this (i won't actually, but i feel as though i should - if that makes sense?) and I can't wait to see your movies one day <333
    Re: suburia is like honey - pleasantly sweet at first, but then, after time, it becomes uncomfortably sweet. i suppose i'm just looking for change? lol
    ohmygoodness! i listened to some songs by dodie - her music has, like, it's own ~aesthetic~ and I LOVE IT! what's your favorite song by her?

Re: Honestly idk lol usually if I get stuck I look up a word that hopefully fits but yea it takes awhile to make a list of words so I usually start a list for the next one after i finish the latest one, and add to it until i finish :)

• poetri

Re;
    Lady bird but Little Women is a close second. I just resonated so much with Lady Bird and it means a lot to me. But yeah, I mean she’s so amazing, even as an actor. Have you seen 20th Century Women? She’s in that and it’s just fantastic. Also the movie as a whole...if ya like Greta’s movies you’ll love that one.

• poetri

OH MY GOD YOU WRITE HER LETTERS TOO?? Yes my queen ok so I never just follow people like this but anyone who loves Greta enough to write her long letters deserves one so um ok let’s be best friends

wow. this is beautiful. i hope, i dearly hope, that you send this to greta. of all the letters she receives, you never know which one will touch her. please send this. it could be the letter that stirs her heart and changes things forever. and i think this is amazing. i know you said you won't mail it, but someday?
    i admire your dedication so, so much. i mean, having this kind of passion is so breathtaking. why unlisted yt, just curious? you'd get more exposure if it were public. but privacy, i guess. also, i checked out anne of green gables and the time traveler's wife today! wanted little women, but it wasn't available.

Re: Thanks for your comment! :) <3

• Abrianna

Aww, this is so nice. Wow, I can't imagine ever thinking classics were stuffy, haha, that's great you like them now. I think the letter is so cool and well written! The only letter of support I ever wrote was to President Trump and I was shocked to receive an answer. Good luck! I love it!:) <3

• Hazen

I agree with bookwitch.

• bookmagic

Imagine right now how many letters this lady gets. Your letter will be her favorite if she gets the pleasure of reading it.

• doodleninja

This was such a pleasure to read! I sincerely hope Greta gets to read this letter, I think it is fantabulous, and such an endearing presentation of how one person can inspire others! I'll be waiting to see one of your films in theaters one day ;) <3

• Rachaelgrace

Oooo I love this :) she is totally so awesome