NothingsEverGoodEnough

He/him
14 years old
Aspiring Marine biologist and author
joined September 2020
If you really like my work and show some talent yourself, I will add you to my shout out list!
Latest addition to the shout out list: DoodleNinja!

Please read and give review. So grateful if you do.

Bailey McFee's Mission in Life (Revised)

3
If there was leftover love in the world, it sure as heck made sure to stop and rest awhile on Bailey McFee's shoulders. I swear, this little girl hated nobody and loved everyone. She had long blonde hair that was almost always tied up in twin pigtails, her pale face was always covered with freckles not matter the season, and her smile could wear down even the strictest of adults.When she was 5, she gave a homeless couple her 1,000 dollar check she got for her birthday. Just about sprinted down the street to where those poor souls panhandled a few measly cents out of the few and far between sympathetic people. She ripped open the card, saw the contents, and was out the door within a second, I kid you not. She only hesitated to say thank you to her befuddled parents before tearing down the street, pigtails bouncing. Now, this girl was and still is severely nonathletic, but when you threw a poor suffering soul into the mix, that girl turned into a freaking Olympic sprinter in like point 2 seconds. 2 month's after the check sprint debacle, that previously homeless family was in a small house just across the street from the McFee estate and doing well. The man had a job at the post office and the woman had a garden in the back and she sold some to the fresh produce stands on Main Street. She left some fruits and veggies on the McFee's front porch every Wednesday, without pause. As she grew older, she got tall. Real tall. she was bigger than all the girls in her 3rd grade class, and just one boy was taller. despite the fact that segregation had just cooled down and their was still some bad blood between the two races, Bailey was everyone's friend. If a new kid moved into the school, Bailey made sure to take him or her under her wing until they were confident enough to do it on their own. Black or white, she didn't care. Everyone deserved to have a friend, and Bailey wouldn't rest until no one was lonely. She was the founder of the Kindness Klub, a group of kids that went around the town helping and supporting the unlucky and unfortunate. She would always have some cash in her back pocket for immediate financial aid if she saw anyone struggling. Now, lets make something clear. Bailey's parents are LOADED. Like, Forbes top 100 Billionaires in the US loaded. So this little kindhearted soul was going to inherit some serious dough when she reached the age. Already, she had a plan with what to do with the money. Most would go to charity, orphanages, and homeless shelters. She would keep the rest, but be ready to hand some cash out to anyone and anything that need it. For that reason (and the fact she brought in a 10,000 dollar teddy bear in for show and tell in the 3rd grade) everyone tried to be her best friend. Seriously, that girl was a queen. She was the biggest thing to hit Montgomery Elementary since the self-serve ice cream cart in 2016. Bailey had like 8 suitors in 4th grade, and instead of letting it all go to her head, she treated everyone the same: with the same undying kindness she displayed since day 1. But there was one kid to which her kindness never seemed to make a dent in. His name was Jeremy Springer. 

He had moved to Montgomery when he was just a little boy. His family settled down in a little shack on the outskirts of town. The mother, Dresilda, got a job at the laundromat. Nobody ever saw the father. Jeremy was dark-skinned, with short- cut black hair and a bucktooth grin, which rarely made its way past his lips on a good day. The McFee's welcomed them graciously to Montgomery, bringing gifts of food and heated blankets. The mother thanked them curtly and shut the door. At school, Bailey made it her goal to try and crack his gloomy facade and see what kind of person he was on the inside. She knew he was poor, and she always made a habit of slipping him some of her lunch money when they left the building at the end of the day. He never spoke, never changed his facial expression, never even acknowledged that she was there. It troubled Bailey. She had all this money, and yet, she felt as if she were doing nothing to help Jeremy. She vowed that the next day she saw Jeremy at school, she would strike up a conversation with him. She woke up the next morning feeling ready to break his silence and see who he truly was. This was her test. This was her mission, and she would not fail. She found him at his locker, rummaging around for his arithmetic homework. She steeled herself, and walked up to him.
"Hey Jeremy! It's me, Bailey McFee! Remember me?"
Jeremy turned from his locker to see her and nodded slowly.
"That's swell! Now, I was wondering, we have a corn maze out back at my house." She leaned in conspiratorially and Jeremy couldn't help leaning in too. " My father says he need all the corn for the harvest, but there is a path going through the corn to my secret hideaway." She waggled her eyebrows at this. "Nobody's ever been back there, not even Mam and Pap. What do ya say? You wanna come?"
Jeremy thought for a moment, then did something he had never done in the presence of anybody else: he smiled. 
"I'd like that," he said,"I just have to tell my mom. She'll be expecting me for chores, but I bet she'll be happy that I made a friend that I'll likely be excused for the day." 
Bailey grinned and said, "See you at the end of school!"
Jeremy grinned back, exposing that gap tooth smile and waved.

After school, they met up and walked to the McFee mansion. They crept by Mr. McFee, fibbed their way past Mrs. McFee, and ran, laughing and screaming through the maze to the tree house. Their they stayed until the sun slipped behind the hills and Mr. McFee came looking. He found them hiding in the tree house, but was so happy Bailey had made a friend that his anger went out the window. Both kids went back to their houses, chattering excitedly to their eager and relieved parents.

Their friendship endured middle school, stayed strong through high school, fought past segregation, and held strong against angry whites who didn't take kindly to the fact that the richest girl in town was hanging out with a black man. Bailey got into a fight with her father over a marriage proposal by someone she hated, so Bailey and Jeremy left Montgomery and went to live in Jackson, Mississippi. When Mr.McFee apologized, they moved back to Montgomery. Both the McFee parents and Jeremy's mother were living in retirement homes, so the McFee's left the house in the possession of Bailey. As they saw the house again, Bailey's memories flooded back, as did Jeremy's. They were home. As they stepped out of the car, they opened  another door, and a little brown boy stepped out and grabbed his mother and father's hands. As the family stepped into the house, they started a new chapter in their lives: one that they would all share together.
And that's the story of Mom and Dad.