avoiding the big bang

writes abt: books, cats, and self-deprecation
anti -isms and -phobias

from the worst case scenario of a rakoff reader - please read my salinger year

My Salinger Year

3
1. A terrible read for anyone who's not a big Salinger fan.  The Catcher in the Rye is okay but Franny and Zooey is so overly... everything. Mr. Salinger (or, as Holden would have me call him, old Salinger) might be a godly bard who can read thoughts and feelings.  Or he might be a tryhard.

2. A terrible read for anyone who's looking for a career in writing. Did you know we'll all someday be working in hot dimly lit musty archaic agencies under tragic bosses answering the fanmail of somebody else by ploinking on typewriters one key at a time?

3. An all-around good book.

• October 24, 2020 - 9:25am (Now Viewing)

haha, love this! yeah, i'm only in 8th grade, but i know in most high schools we read the catcher in the rye. I've heard it's a wonderful book. XD can't wait for that! <3

• ambedo & sugar cookies (#holidayvibes)

XD i love how you put this all together. the idea and the writing itself. i haven't read the catcher in the rye yet, but i've read about it (*coughs* sparknotes blog with holden caulfield memes, imagined texts, and excessive use of the word "phony")
    i do intend to read it if it doesn't get assigned, though. i love the way you string words together, btw.

• mindfruit

Haha, this was amusing! I definitely agree with #1, we're reading The Catcher in the Rye in English right now and the literary analysis we're doing makes the writing seems so much more complex and ingenious. I think it's making my mind conflicted over whether the writing is actually good or if, like you said, Salinger is a tryhard.