anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (says rosi willard)

Child of God
logophile
volleyballer

Female

Edgar Allan Poe inspired this, along with Halloween. I thought y'all could do with some spooky poetry. My goal is to give you chills. If I don't succeed, tell me so I make it more haunting.
Bast's POV for "A Joint Task Force Meeting" is in progress, as well as Letter 3 of the Lost Letters of Illea. This is just for the interim.

There Is No Escape, My Dear (updated)

5
A whisper of wind rattles the shadows
Every corner is shrouded in a blackness like ink
Not a soul for miles
Just us, but—
what was that?
Nothing, my dear.

Let us retire for the evening,
Ensconced in our room
Is that timidity in your step?
Tap. Tap. Tap.
Do not worry, my dear.

Shivering from the icy gales,
Autumn turns to winter
Frost caresses the leaves—they wither on their descent into nothingness
Winter's finest kiss.
I might bestow a winter's kiss upon you, my dear.

Aching in your soul for the vibrant days of autumn,
But winter is far more charming.
Chills skittering down your spine?
Merely a draft from the window,
Nothing more, my dear.

Close the door, don't mind the screeches
Only rusting hinges,
We cannot allow anything unwanted to seep in.
Of course I refer to the wintery winds, my dear.

Lay yourself down to sleep
Me? No, I tire not this fine evening.
Let me gaze at the sliver of the moon
As it flees in terror from the clouds that hunger after it
Gaining ever closer—
Like a fox on the heels of a rabbit—
There is no escape, my dear.

I got inspired after skimming some Edgar Allan Poe writing. (By which I mean I looked on SparkNotes Blog as they reimagine his works as YA stories and tell them through a series of texts.) I did read "The Raven," however, and it was pretty creepy. So, in the spirit of Halloween, and because I haven't posted in a few days (working on the Bast POV for "A Joint Task Force Meeting" series), I wrote this on the fly. Hopefully it gave you chills, because it gave me chills writing it.

• JustAnotherDarling

Re: in some twisted way, i imagined someone telling their companion to go to sleep... because they are a prisoner (soon to be killed?) but my mind is quite dark so i'm probably wrong lol
    and thank you for your kind words! :)

• bookmagic

It was so eerie and creepy. If Edgar Allen Poe were still alive you may have had an apprenticeship on your hands.

• mystifiedtulip

Ooh... I love this! The style of this piece really gives off a nice flair! The dramatic effects (the dashes) and the emphasis (the italics) really strengthens the piece as well. Great job!!!

re: ty! and yes, i really do believe that if i lift people's spirits up, they would do the same thing too! :)

re: i totally agree with you about the whole loving the idea of the past. yeah, i love austen and bronte and montgomery, all writers ranging from the 1790s to the early 1900s. I've always wanted to get dressed up in a gown and corset, but only for like a day because i would be so sore from the corset and probably couldn't even walk or whatever. it'd be a cool experiment, though. other than that... the manners were sure good back then. of course, women were treated terribly. i think i would love to be an independent pioneering women back then if i could. <3

yes the "my dear" can seem charming in other pieces of writing, but it just completely spookyfied (that is not a word but we are just going with it) this for me! wonderful job! don't scare me too much, tho XD! <3

• JustAnotherDarling

ohmygosh i was thinking to myself "this gives me edgar allan poe vibes" as i was reading this! i love how you've written this... it's spooky and fun at the same time!

Haha :) Well, it's really not hard, you just copy it and paste it, but you do whatever you like :)

• (sk)eyesofocher

oooooh I love this with everything I ammmm