acrosstheuniverse28

Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Ballerina
Ravenclaw
Tolkien-ite
Psych-o
Beatlemaniac
(Yay classic rock)
Amateur astronomer
History buff
Musical Lover
Est. March 2020

WtW's self-proclaimed hermit ;)

"Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box
They tumble blindly as they make their way across the universe" - The Beatles -- an accurate depiction of my brain

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." -- Anne Frank

"Maybe lots of people go through life never knowing they're peculiar." -Ransom Riggs

"One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving." - Paulo Coelho

~~Stay gold, Ponyboy~~

Those Bookstore Adventures

PROMPT: Heart Places

10
Quiet chatter fills the aisles, voices floating between the bookshelves. There are plenty of people in the store, but the towering piles of books, games, and collectibles hide them from view. The smell of coffee and paper permeate the air. A soft warmth fills the building, like the last rays of sunlight kissing your face before the summer sun sets.
    I drag my finger along the spines of books as I walk down the aisles. I'm not looking for something specific, just anything that catches my eye. I pause now and then to pull a book out. Read the inside cover. Flip through the pages and let their scent waft up to me. Have you ever noticed that? How all books seem to have their own unique smell?
    I wind my way through the historical fiction section, between the romance and the thrillers. I amble through the mystery and science fiction, the nonfiction and biographies. I admire the knick knacks and trinkets scattered randomly throughout the store.
    I touch and feel. Wonder and admire. And I joyfully lose track of time as I do so. The sights and sounds, smells and feelings fill my brain like water from a hot bubble bath. I fall helplessly down into the depths of the pages, words, and stories that surround me. I'm powerless to stop it, but why would I want to stop it?

Now I can't go. They're only open for online order pick ups. I could order online, but why would I want to? 
    No touching.
    No lingering.
    No immersing every sense.
    Stare at a pixelated screen blaring white light at you and try to decide what you want. Go to the store and pick it up, but don't linger too long. In and out, go on your way. Where's the fun in that?
    It may seem like an eternity before I can wander aimlessly through a bookstore again. By then, I may have forgotten that wonderful sensation of falling of the edge of the world. That feeling of time grinding to a halt. But as long as I'm not locked out forever, I'll be fine just dreaming of my next bookstore adventure.
Ah, can't wait to use up my stash of Barnes and Noble gift cards :) Hope everyone is staying safe and well! <3

1

• ANSON REYNOLDS

ahhhh I love book stores too - I can definitely relate to the way books smell - and I love YOU* for commenting on SongwriterLife's post!!!! It means a lot to me b/c she just joined and she was kinda nervous and, I mean, she's a tiny lil kid(6th grade but whatever) and just THANK YOU SO MUCH for commenting on her thing. rant over XD
    *in a not weird way :)

• Coeur

This is lovely!!! I know.. EXACTLY what you mean. And you so write beautifully!

• Huba Huba

Re: I know right?! Hobbit lives are so happy and stress-less. It's so beautiful there too, just what I wish my life was like :)

Also, this is AWESOME. I totally get what you mean, there's nothing that can replace getting to know the books themselves. Beautiful piece <33

re: oh, that's so cool!! I'm glad you liked my poems! :) So, like I mentioned in the footnotes, these were inspired by the artist Sleeping At Last, who wrote a song for each different personality type. I'd really recommend listening to them--or at least your type's songs! :) So cool that you're a 7 and a 9! :))

• midnight.summerrose

Re: Thank you!! :)

• Huba Huba

Thank you so much for the comment, is was very encouraging!
    I love to see that there are so many Tolkien-ites on WtW. I'm about to state an opinion as a fact: Tolkien's books are the best.
    Literally. The story, the characters, the setting, everything. I absolutely would love to be a Hobbit in the Shire.

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

Re: thank you for the feedback—i appreciate it immensely. and you're welcome! anything about words or books or aesthetics, i have to check it out and leave comments. sometimes i think i'm living in a world of only words, books, and aesthetics. oh, and speaking of autumn dreams, the leaves are just now turning where i live (some of the trees are pretty close to peak color) but it's also almost 80 degrees right now, so it doesn't quite feel like autumn yet.
    and yes, the dictionary of obscure sorrows (which mirkat has dubbed dos) is SO INCREDIBLE. I cannot wait for a print version.

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

oh oh oh i love bookstores. all i want to do is wander the streets of a small town, bursting with history and old bookstores and cafes and architecture long since forgotten. have you heard of vellichor? "n. the strange wistfulness of used bookstores, which are somehow infused with the passage of time—filled with thousands of old books you’ll never have time to read, each of which is itself locked in its own era, bound and dated and papered over like an old room the author abandoned years ago, a hidden annex littered with thoughts left just as they were on the day they were captured."
    from the dictionary of obscure sorrows, the most wonderful website to grace the internal network since amazon.

• midnight.summerrose

Wow, this is amazing!! I really miss books and browsing now. :(
    You’re an amazing writer! It’s so well written! :)

Oh man....this made me really miss bookstores. I mean, i already do, but this piece put that feeling into words. this is beautifully written <3

• AJ - Izzy

Woah, wait, how is this so relatable? I feel, literally, exactly how you, but there's no way I could've put it in such beautiful words :D
    Of course books have their own smells, it's this irreplaceable part of a book's personality; right? I was smiling so hard while I was reading this, amazing writing <3

re: so glad you love 80s music! yesss, my playlist with 80s songs is literally 87 songs... hehe :D

• Anlee

omg so so relatable! i hate reading online pdfs of books and whatnot because it doesn't feel right. books need to be read physically, flipping the pages, and appreciating the paper and ink. love love this piece <3
    your footnotes made me cackle haha

re: oh my gosh, thank you so much! yeah, no genre, i love everything! i have read a couple books on your list for me, but that is totally ok. i will look up the rest and try to put them on hold at a library. have an awesome day! <3

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: aww thank you so much! I’d love to see it as a song, if I knew how to play an instrument! XD

Haha, great! So much imagery and reminds me of being in a bookstore/library again, which i miss. Hey, do you have any book suggestions? Right now I'm reading Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman and I finished the 4th Legend series book. I need to find my next read! I like any books, really, so go crazy and thank you in advance. <3