SunV

(Sweaters & Slippers #holidayvibes)

I can, and I will.

Watch me.

Profile picture drawn by me, digitally edited through PicsArt

est. 11/10/2019. Active since March 2020

Always.

I noticed a few typos, but I really don't want to take this down, so just mentioning it here:

the first two words don't have a space: It's supposed to be 'I don't', not Idon't

I spelled Lockhart's name wrong, it's Gilderoy, not Gilderhoy

I don't want to be called smart

59
Idon't want to be called smart
From my family or friends
They keep describing me like that
And I've never felt so tense

The moment I ask someone to describe me
It's either smart or intelligent
But what if I want to be something else?
What if I want to be different?

The moment someone hears my name they say
'Girl at the top of all her classes?
The one with perfect scores?
The one with glasses?'

But what if I wanted them to say something else
Perhaps 'Girl who is helpful?
The one who gives more than she gets?
The one who stays by your side?'

I don't want to be known as smart
I don't want every single quiz I take to ask me what is my best quality
Only for the friend who's on the zoom call with me
Says intelligence instead of sensibility

I don't want to be known as smart
When I tell others I'm a Ravenclaw
FYI, Ravenclaws don't have to be smart
I mean, just look at Gilderhoy Lockhart

I want to be known as kind and creative
Maybe funny and nice
I want to be known as so much more
Than the girl who always bagged the prize

I want to make a mark
And that isn't possible
If I'm only known as smart
So, this has been on my mind for sometime. For the YOU in THREES prompt, I had asked my friends to give three adjectives they would use to describe me, and smart or a variation was always present. I just don't want to be portrayed as the know-it-all

1

• peachy keen #dreams of autumn(aka rose a)

I can totally understand this, but I don't think I could put it into words as beautifully as you did. There are so many times where that's the word used by my classmates. If I get anything less than an 80 in class, they start freaking out.

• Deep_Breaths

This poem is practically me in word form. I'm in all the advanced and accelerated classes and all I want is to be known as a nice, trustworthy or dare I say pretty girl. This poem I wonderful.

• lilybeam26

I feel for this poem, everyone I know calls me smart and it gets so annoying. I'm so much more than that, being smart doesn't define me as a person. Thank u for the kind words<3

SunV: re: I'm so glad you liked it! As for sleeping at last, i've been working my way through all of their songs. I think i just started the enneagram ones, so i haven't listened to all of them yet. wait-- okay im listening to them right now.

I really like two--which might be because I am a two. I also really like three. I think those two are my favorites--but they're all awesome!!! :) So fun to find another person who loves Sleeping At Last!!!! I just fell in love with them, so im a little obsessed :)
    Hope you're having a great day!

• Ashley Steward

Thanks for sharing, I can understand where you're coming from!

• The One Who Searches for Words

I really connect to this. I don't want to be known just for being smart, either. You really made me think with this. Love the rhythm.

• Brielle P. Chor

Omg, I can totally relate to this. Like I know that it's not an insult, but sometimes, I feel that people just say that you're smart when they see good grades. They don't see your grades and say, "Oh, you must have worked real hard." I kind of wish that they would say that instead because it acknowledges the effort at least (and that I have something other than a good grasp on academics). I love this haha:))

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: so cool! I like taking movie clips and making music videos!! Mine is turquoise! Pastels are gorgeous!!! :)

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: cool! Okay, so my favorites are LOTR and Hunger Games. My other hobbies are horseback riding and talking about books mostly! XD What about you?

• almost flora kane

i'm sure that so, so, so many people have already said this, but, wow. yes. that's me. i'm glad i'm not alone. i'm guessing that many of my classmates and acquaintances look at me and think smart, nerd, or something like that. i would much rather be known as a girl who made people smile:)

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: hi!! Thank you so much! And yes I don’t think we’ve talked much! What are some of your favorite books?

I love this and really relate to it. I feel like "intelligent" people always have so many expectations on them and are seen as one-dimensional, describe with only one word. I'm glad you address that.

• birthdaycandles

I really resonate with this writing. Nice work :)

• Anna_19

I know exactly how you feel. I have straight a's in school, and everybody always wants to see them. It's annoying. You're really creative when it comes to writing. Keep writing!

• Mpm#1

Me too though!!!!! I'm in an advanced program at my school and people seem to think it means I'm some sort of genius, when really it just meant I was ready to move on to a higher level sooner. It hurts sometimes to have people ignore all of your other qualities because you are considered "intelligent". "I want to be known as kind and creative Maybe funny and nice I want to be known as so much more Than the girl who always bagged the prize" This stanza really speaks to me and I think it's my favorite part of the poem. Beautiful poem overall!! :)

• midnight.summerrose

This is just sooo good! I feel you, I want to be something more. :)
    Only just found your profile!! You're so talented! :) Have a great day!

• Hazen

Wow SunV really good. I loved the bit about Gilderhoy. The whole message rang true with me, I'm often overlooked as the cute little brother of the friend group. The good kid. (Despite that I tower over everyone my age)

Re: Ahhh I see. I loved this song but hadn't heard it in a while, thanks for that.

• sci-Fi

Re: Ha yeah, if Remus asked me I would DEFINITELY say yes. But otherwise I would want to go with one of the Weasly twins, James Potter, or Ginny or Luna. The twins because we would be joking around the whole time, James and Ginny because... I mean, James and Ginny, and Luna just because I would want to dances with her XD

• AmethystsAlias

Re: I KNOW RIGHT?! Omg tho I love ur profile pic! As amazing as the movies were, so many things were underestimated, like Dobby and Remadora and Teddy Lupin. Yeah, I don't get Drarry. Sure, they were obsessed with each other, but it wasn't healthy! I see Dramione before I see Drarry. At least there was some reasoning behind it. Whether out of politeness or unconsciously, Hermione occasionally called Malfoy 'Draco'. There's also a fan theory that the page that Draco ripped out of the book in the second movie was the page that Hermione used to figure out that there was a basilisk in the pipes...

• Jj101

Re: Thank you for the tips! I'll probably reread them whenever I'm stressed so thanks! I'll do my best and so should everyone<3

• ambedo & sugar cookies (#holidayvibes)

Okay, this really spoke to me. Sometimes I feel this way, and it's not something you can just talk about to a lot of people because it sounds stuck-up or like a know-it-all. But I just get really tired of being the smart one, the try-hard, the "of course SHE has the answer" kind of person. It's comforting to know that there are others out there who deal with the same thing.
    Re: Those kind of comments are exactly what I mean when I refer to the community. The sense of support and connection. It makes MY day too. :)

• sci-Fi

Just realized I haven't actually liked this piece yet uhmmmm
    Re: What's your definition of procrastination??

• AmethystsAlias

Re: Thank you so much! Taylor is a queen Despite Drarry being so majorly shipped, Hinny literally DOMINATES it (in the books. The movies portrayed Ginny and Harry's relationship so poorly). I'm a Hufflepuff, and my favorite characters are Ginny, Draco, Luna, and Remus (in no particular order, except that I have a crush on the first two lol). Thanks for asking!

P.S. This piece is brilliant! It's moving, as well as quite relatable. Love that you added that point of Harry Potter! It's so true: Not all Hufflepuffs are weak (but why as they even labelled as that?!), not all Gryffindors are brave (insert picture of Peter Pettigrew), not all Ravenclaws are wise, and not all Slytherins are evil (I prefer to use the term "into Dark magic").

Re: Ikr?? Like I'm usually safe with a pad and tampon, but sometimes my body is like PSYCH I'M MAGIC

• AmandaWritesRandolphTheRedNoesedSeaHorse(#holidayvibes)

Love the theme and message in this! I can relate with people perceiving you for one quality and not for multiple. People need to learn to look at more than one dimensions! This is very well written. :)

• Bhavya's Treasure

Hey SunV!
    Guess what?
    You were right! I'm Jeetu. XD
    I've announced your name in the message box!

i totally feel you. people need to see you, see me, not for da smartness but for personality and humor and so on. <3
    re: thanks for those awesome song recs! i love them! <3

• beth r.

PREACH! this is gorgeous and powerful :)
    re: awww thank you so much :)

• ReaganGrace

I loved your poem, it honestly brought me to tears... people are more than test scores and how smart they are. I have never met you in person, but I'm sure you are so more than just how smart you are!

• Shay

Re: Of course you can. I'm glad you liked it

• Anlee

"I want to be known as so much more
    Than the girl who always bagged the prize"
    too too relatable. this poem really hits hard <3

• AliMuscles04

ME TOO!!!! Ever since I moved to where I am living, everybody knows me as "the smart girl" or "the girl who always has As" and other variations. I am TIRED of living under that label. Granted, I do have another label and that's "the girl who has a great singing voice" but the smarts one has really taken control. I'm like You do realize there's more to me than my brains and grades right?! Well, there's my rant of the day XD lol

YES it's like... "i don't want to be seen as smart, i want to be seen as dependable".

• katnissromanoff

Oh my gosh I completely relate. You wrote it so well. Great job!!!

• LindytheRavenclaw

Re: It’s Aelindor! And I will name everyone else, I promise.

Re: Thank you! Uhhh nope! I had titled it 'Australia' but somehow that title didn't save.....Answering your question about the music player, I'm on a coding website called Scratch, and someone had that up on their profile, so I simply copy and pasted it! If you want to use it go ahead! (and don't bother to give me credit since I didn't come up with it)

• lochnessie

re: oh.. thanks!! and yeah pretty much.
    this is relatable x100000000
    brilliant

• Bhavya's Treasure

This is so so so RELATABLE!
    On my scribble day shirt, 'Topper' is all over the fabric. I mean, seriously there's more to a person than just having brains.
    This is great Saanvi and the Lockhart reference is... Well, tooooo gooood. XDDD

• acrosstheuniverse28

Re: Glad you like the characters! Maybe I'll eventually have enough of either story finished to post on here, but we'll see XD
    The symbolism in your profile pic is amazing, and you should definitely keep it for a while! Even if it makes me cry ;)

• BlueWolf

Re: Thanks! :) I also agree that yes it is nice being smart but I just don't want that to be the only thing that defines me.

• BlueWolf

I also relate to this. I am always described as the smart one and I just want to have more depth than that. It is really kinda upsetting sometimes. It is fine to be smart but as soon as that's the only thing people think of you it gets really annoying.
    I love this piece it really spoke to me. Just brilliant!!!

• acrosstheuniverse28

I can relate to this so much. My 8th grade science teacher would always read the names of the kids who got the top 4 or 5 scores on tests, and my names was usually up there. It was great at first to be recognized for my hard work, but eventually I started hating it. I felt like that was all I was to some people, that girl who aces all the tests. I hope someday society can change and stop putting such a big emphasis on brains and test scores. That's not what life is about.
    Also, your profile pic is making me cry. Why must you do this to me??? ;)

Aww haha, I love how you brought a little Harry Potter into this! I so understand this piece!

• cSpark

This is incredible! I totally agree and I feel the same way!! You really captured the realistic part :)

Re: I play piano, some guitar, and the bassoon! I used to play flute and cello. Lots of instruments. I know.

Yesss! My favorite character is Remus Lupin, and your runner up characters are all incredible characters! I am a Slytherin (hehe) with a Ravenclaw rising (I believe- I'm sure I'm Slytherin though)

Same here! I also watched and read A Series of Unfortunate Events, and it's definetly a go to! So much thrilling stuff :)

I'll be on the lookout for your series, and the live action. Sounds fun!

<3

This piece really made me stop and think. I've never thought about it that way, despite being thought of as the smart kid a lot. I guess it's because I'm also the emotional crazy kid too lol. And Madeline's comment is sending me into a mid-teen crisis.

• madeline3.14159

I totally get this!! One of the best compliments I have ever received was when my brother said he wishes he could be as funny as me. In some ways, smart is a quality rather than a personality trait. Like describing someone as smart is sort of similar to describing them by their appearance.

• Turkeycracker K (a.ka. Firecracker)

This is cool! You want to be known as a friend rather than just "The smart kid." I get it!
    Re: I love Star Wars and Jurassic World, and I write stories about them all the time. My brother and I have a Tron Legacy fanfiction we're working on right now, and I have one or two Marvel fanfics.

• abby.a

re- Thank you for all your kinds words!! <33 I really appreciate it. it made my day :)) I'm Abby (in case you didnt know by my username lol) I don't blame you for not really seeing me around, I don't post too often.