Thunderspark8

Hi, I'm Katie! I'm a 14-year-old Christian girl who loves to read, write, and especially act. I also like to do storytelling--I was in the 2019 Timpanogos Storytelling Festival! I'm a Geocacher, too.
I won Wasatch IronPen2020! :O

This is a short Halloween story I wrote for my English class and turned in over a month late. Hooray for procrastination! I decided I might as well post it on here. If you have any positive feedback or constructive criticism, that would be awesome! Thanks for reading!

The Candy Angel

6
    It was the tenth Halloween of my existence, and it was supposed to be glorious.
    Supposed to be.
    One thing was for sure, I wasn’t supposed to come down with strep throat two days before. And my mother definitely wasn’t supposed to tell me that--
    “I can’t go trick-or-treating?” I wheezed.
    “No, of course not!” Mom set her coffee mug down with a clack. “Honey, you have strep throat. You don’t want to get your friends sick, do you?”
    “I won’t get them sick! I promise!”
    “Anna….”
    I was close to tears now, and my throat was throbbing painfully. “I’ll be careful! I won’t breathe on them or anything! I can-- I can--”
    “Anna,” said Mom, “I’m sorry. I’ll pick up some extra candy from the store when I go tonight, some for the trick-or-treaters and some for--”
    “It’s not just about the candy! What about my costume? I worked so hard on it this year!”
    “You can still wear the costume.”
    “But it won’t be the same!” Tears streaming down my face, I turned and ran upstairs to my room, where I threw myself down on the bed and cried. It wasn’t fair. I was so, so excited for trick-or-treating this year. I was going to have the best costume in the whole neighborhood, I know I was. Nobody else ever made their own costume. But I did. I spent hours perfecting the design, embroidering the fabric, and making sure I would look absolutely perfect. I was going to be an angel.
    Wiping my face off on my favorite purple blanket, I walked to the closet and took the hanger with my costume off the doorknob. I held it up to myself in the mirror. It was a long white robe with tiny golden patterns embroidered around the collar and sleeves. A pair of thick paper wings were fastened to the back. Loose glitter trickled off whenever they moved a little too much--I didn’t think Mom had found out about the mess I made in the corner of the living room yet. A shiny gold-spray-painted halo headband made out of wire and papier-mâché lay on my desk next to a painted cardboard harp. All I needed besides that was my trusty plastic jack-o-lantern bucket--and to magically get better within twenty-four hours--and my Halloween would be perfect. 
    Ha. Fat chance. My throat burned and tears started to well up again as I hung the costume back up and got under the covers.
    The next day was Halloween. Mom was back from the store with the extra candy before I even woke up, and she didn't seem to believe me when I told her I was feeling much better, no matter how hard I begged and wheedled.
    "Okay, Anna, how about this," she said finally. "You can wear your costume. You can have as much candy as you want. You can even stay up until midnight. And I'll let you come to the door to wave at your friends if any of them show up. Sound like a deal?"
    I was starting to think this wasn’t a fight I was going to win. Much as I wanted to remain strong, staying up until twelve in the morning was pretty tempting. I was about to grudgingly accept when suddenly--it hit me. The perfect idea, the way I could turn all this around and have a perfect Halloween anyways.
    "Mom!" I whispered, careful not to strain my voice. "I don't have to come to the door to wave at my friends. I can do it all from the window!"
    My bedroom window is great. It's right at the front of the house, at the very top, and it's huge. It even has a little window seat with plushy pinkish cushioning. Dad installed special locks and blocks to keep it from opening all the way, but the great thing is I can still open it enough to stick my hand outside. It would be the perfect place to greet my friends from up above. I would be even more of an angel.
    Mom thought for a second. "I guess we could try it out just this once, since you're so sick. We'll have to get Dad to stay in the room with you, just in case. And don't lean on the glass; it could break."
    "I know, you tell me that all the time. So can I do it?"
    The deal was sealed. Later that night, I put on my costume and started to get ready for trick-or-treaters to show up. I brushed my hair out until it was all fluffy and golden and just the color of the thread I'd used to embroider the robe. I positioned the halo carefully on top and twirled around in the mirror to see how I looked. The robe fluffed out around me as the wings fluttered and sent a shower of glitter over the bathroom rug. Oops. I'd take care of that later. Flipping the rug upside down, I did my most delicate angel run into my room. Dad was sitting on the window seat already, pretending to play my cardboard harp. I giggled and took it from him.
    "Are you ready to see your friends, angel?"
    "Of course I am! This is the best costume ever. I bet nobody else even thought of being an angel before."
    “Anna! Come get your candy!” Mom called up the stairs. When I went down, she made me go out on the front porch with my empty candy bucket and knock.
    “Trick-or-treat!” I rasped. My throat really was feeling a little better, I noted as I scarfed down Twizzlers. Too bad I was already committed to my window plan.
    It was around seven o’ clock when the first trick-or-treaters finally showed up--three boys who lived over on the next street, a couple years younger than me. They were dressed as pirates. Dad was in the bathroom, but I decided I would be okay without him.
    “Hi!” I stuck my hand out the window and waved. They didn’t seem to hear me. I’d forgotten how hard it would be for anyone to hear my quiet voice around my swollen throat. “Hey!” The boys got their candy from Mom and started to leave. “Wait!” I looked around frantically for something to get their attention. My eyes landed on my overflowing candy bucket and the pile of Smarties (ew) I had picked out of it just a few minutes before. I grabbed a few Smarties and threw them out the window. “Hey!
    The candy hit the tallest boy on the head. He let out a high-pitched shriek as his friends turned around and around in confusion.
    “Up here!” I waved as hard as I could, and the boys finally spotted me.
    “Look!” one of them laughed. I waved again and threw another Smarties roll. They scrambled to pick it up like they were at the Fourth of July parade, screaming with excitement. This drew the attention of a girl in a fairy costume skipping down the sidewalk--my best friend Livvy. She stopped and frowned. “Anna?”
    “Livvy! Over here!” I found a Twix in my bucket--I knew that was her favorite--and hurled it as far as I could. It clattered to the pavement at her feet, where she scooped it up with a bit of a confused grin. “Candy for everyone!” I cheered as loud as I could. In no time at all, a small mob of kids had gathered in front of the house and were scrambling to catch the candy I was throwing. I felt great--more than great, actually. I felt glorious. I felt like a beautiful, all-powerful angel delivering gifts to the common people below. I felt--
    “Anna? What’s going on?” Dad stood in the doorway, back from the bathroom. His gaze fell on the spilled candy scattered across the floor and flicked to the celebrating kids out on the lawn. “What are you doing?”
    “Uh….”
    “Are you throwing your candy out the window?” He ran his hands through his hair. “What….”
    “Um, it’s okay. I think...I think we’re done now. Bye, everyone!” I called out the window. My face flushed as Dad looked around in bewilderment. I hastily scooped the candy back into the bucket. “Uh...so can we go watch a movie now?”
    I spent the rest of the night watching spooky movies with Mom and Dad. Snuggled up in my purple blanket, I barely managed to stay awake until midnight. I went to bed with my throat tired and sore from shouting, but a smile on my face. I was happy that I’d found a way to turn this Halloween into one of the best yet. Throwing candy out the window was one of the best ideas I’d ever had, and I couldn’t wait to use it again. I couldn’t wait until next year. 

Re: Ok!

Re: Really? No wayyy! I wanted to ask you ages ago but I didn't think YOU would be comfortable with it! That is so hilarious! I'm not sure, I know we're not allowed to on Scratch, and you'll get banned if you do, so that's why I asked here....Lemme check the rules. Ok I checked, hmmm I'm not really sure if we are..I really want to have your contact tho! Maybe we could just share it and then delete it? Idk....

Hi Katie :) This isn't for certain, but I may be leaving Scratch soon. I really wanted to be able to keep in contact with you, so I was wondering if (if you HAVE an email address) you might want to exchange them? If you don't, I totally get it. :)

Wait you don't like SMARTIES?

Dad was sitting on the window seat already, pretending to play my cardboard harp." That is such a dad thing...:P

Lol this sounds so wrong "Wiping my face off on my favorite purple blanket," She better keep her face on! I love this so so much!

• AJ - Izzy

Aw, this is amazing! I absolutely love the tone, it's really wholesome and you've really expressed the story excellently; I can just imagine this being read outloud, it would be, ah, so good :D
    Amazing writing! <3

• Anlee

this piece is simply adorable! a lot of the times an overly energetic, whiner makes the reader dislike the protagonist; however, you crafted this story and character development so well that it didn't feel cringey at all. enjoyed reading this <3

Oh my gosh Arzu is right! This is so professionally witty. It actually reminds me (in tone only) of a book series that James Dashner wrote for middle schoolers. I was laughing and intrigued from the very beginning. Really well done.

• Arzu

Good job with the procrastination- it was worth it! This story flowed so smoothly that it felt like the work of a published author.