Livelovecats

* 15 years old *
* Human *
* Cat lover *
* Writer *
* Reader *

" We don't meet people by accident. Everyone is meant to cross our paths for a reason."

Have you crossed paths with me? It must be fate!!

I felt like writing a bit about my thoughts on soulmates. This is just me theorizing and writing my mind. Thanks for reading :)

Soulmate Requirements: Human??

0
Soulmate Requirements: Human??

Once upon a time, I was a young girl. I loved to do things most girl would; I played dress-up, spent time with my friends, and gossiped. Among these things, my favorite was to talk to my friends about boys. 

Boys this, boys that. Oh, he's cute! Nah, I don't really like him. Even as I got older, into the teenage years that are currently haunting me, that didn't really change. I still think about boys, and while I may not be so childish about it, the fact remains. I love boys. Well, really I love looking at them. If you told me to talk to a crush I'd probably run away with my tail between my legs. Social interaction terrifies me, especially when I have to interact with a boy.

I've always crossed my fingers and hoped that someday I would meet my soulmate, and we would instantly click and fall in love. But although I can be a bit of a romantic, I know that stuff only happens in movies. The thing is though if I think about it, I have felt those "clicking" moments before, just not with humans.

You may be asking me "What do you mean, not with humans?" Well, what I mean is that, well, what if our soulmates didn't have to be humans! The definition of a soulmate in the Oxford dictionary is "A person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner." Alright, yes, I see the word "person" in there, but I also see the words "close friend." So what if, just what if, we could have a non-human soul mate? If you think about it, the word "person" might not be the right word to have in the definition. Can't anything that has a soul have a soulmate?

This sort of goes back to how I'm a romantic. I believe in soul mates because I want to believe in them. It's just such a lovely idea that there is someone that perfectly fits you. But like I've mentioned before, what if we humor the idea of them not being human?

I've been dragging this on for a little while, so I'll get to the point with an example. What if my soul mate was a dog? I've wanted a dog for as long as I can remember, and being around them has always made me comfortable. It's the kind of comfort that makes people want therapy dogs. And if I'm being honest, I wouldn't mind having a therapy dog. My life is stressful, and I may not need one for a disability, but boy would it be nice to have my own cuddly furball who didn't hiss at me and who I could take on destressing walks.

Now you are probably thinking about how you find "the one," assuming that your soul mate can be anything with a soul. To respond to that I'd say, well, maybe anyone can be your soulmate. I don't know how any of this truly works because I'm just theorizing here, but people change. So do animals, and probably anything else with a soul. This means that your soul might adapt to become the "other half" of another person's soul and vice versa. I hope I'm making sense of all this.

I'm going to wrap this up and state my point again. I think that maybe, just maybe, your soulmate can be anything that has a soul. Oh, and souls change, so your soul mate could be literally anyone you might have a connection with whom you strengthen the connection. This means that maybe you can have multiple soulmates, like a canine companion and maybe someday a romantic soulmate if that's what your looking for. This would also mean that if you're a girl you aren't limited to dating guys as soulmates. I'm not saying you should date dogs, because they obviously won't be a romantic soulmate for you. And if you don't want a romantic soulmate, then don't have one! I'm just saying that maybe a close friend or companion might be enough of a soulmate to you, even if not romantically. Humans like to have someone who understands us better than anyone else, and by all means, they can be your soulmate. If they are a dog, I don't see how that changes anything. They can love you, you can love them. All is well with love and war.