catgirl101

Diary of Gold Rush -8

0

Diary of Gold Rush - Katrina's Battle

Friday April 13, 1849

Dear Diary- Yesterday I told you about the Indians. I was right. Sadly though. Dad said that we have to battle them sooner or later. That’s why every morning when I wake up, I pray that we don’t have to battle them today. So far, my luck’s good. I have good news!!! Kadyn got better at last! I know I haven’t been talking about him lately, but it’s true! Literary. I tried to find a picture but I can’t. The only picture I found, is this one. I was five at that time.

My mom drew it:

Yes, it is the first time that you saw my picture and yes, I do have blond hair. That’s why I liked the Indian girl. And speaking of Indian girls, I saw her again today. Her eyes opened wide and ran into the bushes again. That’s what made me scared. What if her father was the chief and she told him? What if they battled us?

If there’s one thing good about today, it’s the fact that Dad told me if we got into a battle, I won’t have to fight. YEAH!!! Kadyn has to though. Dad told us we had to come up with “secret names” just in case they asked us what our name was. Kadyn instantly shot up with his answer. Andrew. I have no Idea why Kadyn came up with that name, but I don’t care. MY secret code name is Nevaeh. Heaven spelled backwards. I like it. Kadyn argued that I should pick something like Amara or Amiee to march Andrew. I argued back. I said “ well if you want us to have the same initials, then why don’t you change your name to Nathan or Nathaniel?!” After that it looked like it would get ugly. Luckily Dad broke us up before Kadyn could wrestle me to the ground, which would be bad, because Kadyn is in the middle of the wrestling unit at school. I guess that shows that having a non-sick brother does have disadvantages. I don’t know if I've told you yet, but my birthday’s TOMORROW!!! I’m so excited except for one thing. NO PRESENTS!!!!! I knew that was coming though. Mom warned me. That was one of the disadvantages of coming on the gold rush.

Saturday April 14, 1849

Today was the BEST day EVER!!! First I woke up and it was 6:00. Of course i’m NOT allowed to get up at that hour, so I had to contain my excitement until 6:55. Then I woke Kadyn and Dad up. And as I have mentioned before, I really didn’t think I got any presents. But I was WRONG!!! Dad got a present for me before we left for California. It was a little doll that had blonde hair just like me! So I named her Augustifina. August for short. Well her full name is Augustifia Janie Taylore. I named her August because August is my favorite month.

…………………………………………………………………

The best part of my birthday was this. When we got on the road, we saw another wagon. We eventually caught up and managed to talk to them. They had 3 girls that were TRIPLETS!!! Their names were- Abigail, Olivia and Sophia. They looked alike each other so much! Here’s a picture:

There was also a boy named Joshua. (Josh for short) And he was 10. After a while of chatting, Dad told me that they would be coming with us on the way to California! At first I was excited that they would be coming with us, but then Dad explained that they would only be coming with us on the trail with the Indians.

Sunday April 15, 1849

Today was the day of the fight. Early in the morning we heard 3 gunshots and we saw Indians running toward us with sticks and LOTS of army men that had bows and arrows. Dad quickly ushered me, Kadyn, Abigail, Olivia, Sophia and Josh inside of the triplets wagon, and got our guns, rifles, cannons and bows and arrows. Since Kadyn was 12 and Josh was 10 they got to fight with Dad. I actually think that I got a view of the Indian girl again. It was dark in the wagon. I played with Augustafina again. All I heard outside was yelling, gunshots, crying, thumps, or maybe that was the thump of my own heart! We got a conversation going in the wagon. Mostly about the battle. It was the first time they actually talked to me!!! I found out that they were 8. We talked a lot about  the battle outside. I would have described the whole battle but most unfortunately, at that time, I fell asleep.