ScarlettLucian

Just a girl trying to help save the world while writing lowercase poetry in the interim whenever writer's block gives her a break.

Driving fast with the music loud
Walking in the rain
Ballgowns & Doc Martens

Any comments on the tone and execution of the piece would be appreciated!

Sweat, Blood, and Dreams for You

PROMPT: People Power!

64
You abstain, out of a tired belief perhaps that it will change nothing because you don't matter.

But that's not true.

In a world where money seems to be king, voting is its own kind of currency. 

Bought by the sweat, blood, and dreams of those before us. 

You've heard that voting is a right and a privilege, but it is also a duty. 

To your country, to the next generation, to all those in the world who never even got the opportunity to opt in, never mind opt out. 

It's your chance to tell your country what you think is important and every vote is a token of someone's voice. 

It matters desperately, more than you think it does, so please go out, vote, and let power hear your voice.

• October 19, 2020 - 11:29am (Now Viewing)

• Kathryn J

Powerful!

• x.Anonymous.x

I absolutely love it. Amazing talent right here.

• happygiggles

Congratulations on Wednesday words! This is a really well-written piece!

• Rachaelgrace

Wonderful!

• elliem

Congratulations! Yes, I totally agree with you! This piece deserves the feature.

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

This is amazing and so well written and inspiring! Congrats on the feature! You deserve it! :)

• AbellePuppy34

Congrats!

• birthdaycandles

Congratulations on the feature! You read it so well, and this is such a poignant piece of writing!

Wow! This piece is so influential!!! I can feel the power in every line :D
    Congrats on Wednesday Words <3333

Nice! Congrats on getting featured!

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

Congrats!!!!!! I really love the passion in this piece. It is just so powerful. I love the last line and the lines:
    "In a world where money seems to be king, voting is its own kind of currency.
    Bought by the sweat, blood, and dreams of those before us."
    Just amazing!

• Anlee

congrats on wednesday words! hopefully your message will be heard by many <33

• ScarlettLucian

Thank you all so much for your comments! It means a lot to hear that you enjoyed the piece! @haunted.by.words Thank you for your interest in my longer works! One is set post-WWII and follows a soldier who comes back from the war to find out he is a single dad, and the other is a rom-com set during quarantine! If you're interested, you can find them both on the website Swoon Reads under the handle Sophia Lindfield and I'd love to hear your feedback on either or both of them! Be warned, they are both very much first drafts, so they are definitely not perfect, but hopefully you can see what the core of the story is enough that you could provide feedback that I could use for a second draft.

• Livsnjutare

This is a great piece!

• Tula.S

This is so powerful! I particularly love the line "every vote is a token of someone's voice." Not only is that so true, but you say it in such a beautiful and convincing way. Congratulations!!!

• rwong

congrats!! this is a really impactful piece! keep writing!

congrats on wednesday words!!! this peace really is powerful--and i love the title. its so perfect!

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

the tone is both pleading and firm, serious yet inspiring. this is a powerful piece, and an example of the mightiness of the pen! (well, mightiness of the keyboard, but you know what i mean.) congratulations on being selected!
    question: these two novels you've written... that is so awesome! can you tell me a little more about them?

• ~Zoe~

congrats!

yay! congrats of u lations on Wednesday words! impactful poem and i agree with you. keep writing! <3

Beautiful! Congrats on being featured!! :))

• sci-Fi

This is AMAZING!!!! Congrats on Wednesday words!

Yes, I love the message this sends! It's short, but very powerful. I love that you compared voting with money and called voting currency. I think maybe you could have expanded more on the unfairness of voting-- sure it's our duty to vote, but there are some people who can't vote or have a hard time doing so because of oppression. If you added that it somewhere, it would pack an extra punch.