Odyssey

violinist/reader/writer/theater kid/singer/ LOTR fan/Hufflepuff/ dreamer/sister/child at heart

“There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.” -Samwise Gamgee
"Every word I write is a testimony to my soul"- Me

Trying to craft meaningful stories while juggling school, family, and life in general.
Someone who likes to write and loves to live.
My username is Odyssey because we are all on our own journey. :)
“I’m ready as I’ll ever be.” - Varian, Tangled the Series
-Seriously, listen to th music from Tangled the Series. It is AMAZING! (Well, most of it). :)

"We are who we become. "- Me

I hope everyone has an amazing, fantastic, stupendous day. :)
(I probably overuse smileys but oh well) :)

I'll also probably forget to respond to comments- it's not cause I don't appreciate them ( I do- a lot), I'm just really absentminded.

Silver and the King

1
                         This is a story about a king. But it is not just the story of a king. 
What kind of a king, you ask? Well, he wasn’t the best and he wasn’t the nicest. To be completely honest, this king cared nothing about his subjects and nothing about his servants. The only thoughts he had were directed at himself. 
        One day, as this king sat on his throne overlooking his kingdom, he grew sad because he had never ventured to the sea and a king, he thought, should have no limits. “Steward!” He roared. His servants came running, trembling under his wrath. “Prepare me my carriage and the finest horses in the stables. I wish to venture to the ocean and know that it too belongs to me.” The steward bowed. “Your majesty, “ He began. “The far reaches of this land are not safe. They have long been ravaged by thievery and your subjects flee the ocean for fear of robbers.” At this, the king grew angry. “Am I not higher than them?” He cried. “Am I not the king and do I not dictate my own will.?” He rose, and the look on his face was terrible. “Am I not capable of defending myself? Sharpen my sword and fetch my armor. Summon five of my best warriors to stay at my side. No bandit shall keep me from my desires, for I am King!”
His orders were carried out at once. In a few hours, he was on his way to the ocean- his heart filled with satisfaction.  And that is where we leave the king, for this  is not his story only.

Across the kingdom, living by the ocean, was a crafty convict- one by the name of Silver- who had escaped the most perilous prison in the land and now lived on the run from the law. What kind of a man is he, you ask, who would be condemned to the kingdom’s darkest prisons? 
He was liar and a thief, who used his silver tongue- the source of his name- to swindle the noble lords and ladies of the kingdom’s court out of their wealth and land. His sentence was to hang, but he escaped death and fled to the ocean, where he took up residence with other thieves in a brotherhood of bandits. They terrorized the citizens of the coastal villages until all but a few fled in terror and the wealth of the sea and the land was in their possession.
“Fellow men!” Silver said one morning. “I feel it within me to take to horse and road and ride to the next village, where people still reside.” “But they shall call to the king for help and we shall be slain.” Objected one. “Nay. The king will not come. His heart is stone to the cries of the needy, he cares only for his throne of gold. If he has not stopped us before, he will not interfere now.” “Then let us go with haste.” And the bandits set off on stolen horses to the nearby town. 
As they were on their way, a fellow bandit who kept watch for signs of authority, met with them. “Brothers!” He stopped their horses in their tracks. “We must make haste. The king is coming, and I have heard he means to drive us from the sea.” At this, many men began to turn their horses round, for they did not care to face real adversaries. “Stay!” Silver cried. He rallied the men around him. “If these rumors are true, and they very well may be false, then it is our opportunity to kill the king and gain all we have desired. The king is a tyrant. The country would be in our debt if we were to kill him.” “Perhaps he was to be replaced by a new leader who organized a powerful army? We would be lost.” Silver smiled. “No, his only child is just as he- he would not have the strength to drive us away.” “You speak of complete rule- is this not too severe? It is one matter to obtain goods and shelter from peasants for survival, it is another to overthrow a kingdom.” With that, Silver threw back his head and laughed. “I beg to differ,” He said, placing himself in the front of the group of bandits.
 “Yes it is one thing, but it is a terrible thing- to do what we have done to survive in abundance. It is another thing- but perhaps, one not so terrible, to overthrow a tyrant. In the eyes of the people, in fact, it is the right thing. Think- if we succeed in the overthrow of the king- we would not desire to take anymore, we would have all we need. Conquer the king, and crime will decrease. Conquer the king, and enter a new world. For us and for the people.” With that passionate delivery, Silver turned on his heels and led his horse and his fellow brigands to the nearby town and, possibly, the king.

Here enters the third character of our story. In the nearby town, which was home to only thirty or so remaining citizens who had waited out the bandits, was a young boy about ten years old. His father was a fisherman and his mother was blanket weaver, and they got their livelihood from the sea. He was named Phillip and he loved his family and home with all his heart.

For the sake of propriety, let us call him our hero.

As the king was traveling to the ocean and Silver to Phillip’s village, Phillip was exploring the coast. His father was out fishing and though his mother had warned him not to stray, the call of the seagulls enticed the young boy out of his mother’s sight to the cliffs and crags, where the ocean beat upon the rocks. Phillip stares down at the great waves of the ocean as they rose and fell. 
He remembered a time, when he was much younger, that the sea had been full of boats and trade had flourished. That was before the bandits came and before the king had ignored the plights of his family.
     When the bandits first came, demanding food and shelter, Phillip’s  parents had sent out pleas asking for defense from the bandits. The governor had sent back a curt reply-“ I need permission from the king and his forces to take action.” They had waited, hopefully, for the king to come or to sent troops to drive the brigands away. But they never came. The only message they received was a dismissive one- “The King is otherwise occupied. No troops to be deployed.”
    And so most people-including the governor- left, fleeing to the cities in the heart of the kingdom. Phillip’s family stayed along with several other fishermen. The sea was their life and as long as they supplied amble amounts of fish to the bandits, they were left in peace. 
  Phillip picked up a seashell and ran it between his fingers. The sand was soft and warm on his bare feet. The whiny of a horse from behind startled him.
Phillip turned round. Riding toward him from the road, with banners flying, was a small procession.
Terror seized him. It’s the king! He quickly hid behind a nearby rock. 
The king, surrounded by guards of horseback, rode right down to the beach and dismounted.

For a moment he stood, triumphant, watching the waves move. ”The governor will hear of this.” Said the king. “I should be greater with trumpets and celebration.” Alas, he was met with no one save a few crabs. 
A guard humbly suggested they travel to Phillip’s city, in the hopes that they would have prepared for his coming. “Of course, we shall.” The king agreed. ”The governor must be there.” 

At that moment, there came a terrible clatter as a hundred men on horseback thundered down the road towards the beach. Silver led them. “Here is the man!” He shouted, brandishing a sword. “The one who calls himself king!”
In a flash , the king’s guards drew their swords, their faces pale. “Stand down, brigands. We will defend the king to death!” Silver smiled. “We’ll see the truth in that shortly.” He said. “We are stronger in number. Let us see if we are stronger in skill.” 
Guards and criminals began to fight.

Never in his life had Phillip seen battle. It was more terrible than he could have imagined. The boy hid behind the rocks until the sounds of clashing swords and shouts subsided. Several riderless horses ran past him away from the fray.
When it was mostly quiet, Phillip peaked out. Most of the guards had not been killed, but were being held, defenseless, in the strong grips of the bandits. Silver stood over a figure on the sand.

The king. 

“This is for the people.” Silver said, and Phillip would have believed him if not for the cruel glint in Silver’s eye.

And the boy watched from afar as the king was slain. His heart cried out, but he did nothing. How could he? His mother and father had told him of the king’s cruelty and had prayed for the day when a new leader might come and be kinder to the unfortunate. For all he knew, the bandit could be a better ruler than the king.

Now, why did I write this story? Is there even a point? Very rarely is there a hero that does nothing. Well, reader, this story was too show that, in life, it is very rarely the bad against the good. 
It is much more often the selfish against the selfish, the powerful against the weak, the old against the young. No one acts out of the belief that what they are doing is wrong. It is a matter of perspective, a matter of desire, and a matter of expense. 
Was Silver right, as he said, to kill the king?  Well that, dearest reader, is up to you.
I tried a new writing style with this piece, I don’t really care for it, but I would love to here everyone’s opinions. I hope everyone enjoys!

I’m also considering doing another story to explore Silver’s past. Comment if you would like to read it.

1

okay wow those last few lines are crazy good!
    /Well, reader, this story was too show that, in life, it is very rarely the bad against the good...It is much more often the selfish against the selfish, the powerful against the weak, the old against the young./
    ^so deep!