anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

SPOILER ALERT! If you have not read the Magnus Chase trilogy, the Kane Chronicles, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Heroes of Olympus, and Trials of Apollo, you may receive spoilers. You can still read and enjoy—just remember, I warned you

Godly Severed Heads Floating in Kiddie Pools (A Joint Task Force Meeting, Part 1)

4
SPOILER ALERT! If you have not read the Magnus Chase trilogy, the Kane Chronicles, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Heroes of Olympus, and Trials of Apollo, you may receive spoilers. You can still read and enjoy—just remember, I warned you.

MIMIR

"I don't see why you need your kiddie pool in the middle of a Chick-Fil-A parking lot," grumbled Blitzen as he hauled a duck-printed blow-up pool past a dented pickup. Behind him, Hearthstone's nimble fingers moved rapidly. Mimir sighed. 
    "You promised not to ask questions, Blitzen," Mimir warned in a sing-song voice. Hearthstone looked ready to kick over Mimir's fishbowl, but he settled for a few hand gestures that weren't native to ASL.
    "It wasn't a question, it was a complaint." Blitzen began filling the kiddie pool with a hose from Chick-Fil-A's gardening system. 
    "No inquiries or attempts for information whatsoever. And you can tell your elf exactly where to shove his—hey!" A jet of water ricocheted off of Mimir's floating head.
    "That's what you get for insulting my elf!" snapped Blitzen as he turned back to the kiddie pool. "I could be outfitting Alex with a new blazer right now. Dusty rose and olive green just came in. Instead I get this." He blew out his cheeks in exasperation. "I don't even know why I agreed to help."
    I do not understand why either, signed Hearthstone. Odin released you from his service. You had no reason to help him.
    "Oh, yes, he did," Mimir said. He grinned. Through the fishbowl, his teeth stretched like the Cheshire Cat's. Fury lit Hearthstone's eyes.
    What did you threaten him with? he signed, his face stone-cold. Mimir laughed.
    "Wouldn't you like to know? Sadly, you both ought to get back to Blitzen's Best. Those waistcoats aren't going to waist for you!" Blitzen turned the hose on full blast and pointed it at Mimir's head. He sputtered indignantly.
    "That was for being rude to Hearth." Blitzen marched over to the fishbowl, picked it up, and dumped Mimir unceremoniously into the kiddie pool. 
    "That was for the horrible joke. No one makes fun of my waistcoats. Let's go," he said, nodding at Hearthstone. "And next time, ask another one of your poor lackeys." 
    You should not have asked in the first place. Hearthstone glared at Mimir's head, floating serenely among images of yellow ducks in various Hawaiian outfits. 
    "I do what I have to do," said Mimir. "Now, run along, you two. I'm attending the most important meeting since I sat in conference with the All-Father and his friend from Persia." Blitzen turned around.
    "What do you mean?" Hearthstone touched Blitzen's cobalt sleeve.
    He is baiting you, he signed. We have no business here.
    Blitzen stayed rooted to the asphalt, his gaze fixed on Mimir. 
    "What is this... meeting about?" He tested the words like they were as dangerous and repulsive as a McDonald's cheeseburger grilled in a varsity football team's sweat. Mimir raised his eyebrows.
    "Trust me, you don't want to know. Say hi to Magnus for me, will you?" Mimir closed his eyes. Hearth motioned for Blitzen to leave. Reluctantly, Blitzen followed. He tried not to glance over his shoulder at the severed head, striding to the Chick-Fil-A drive-thru. It was the most convenient way to access Valhalla in Albany. Then he and Hearth would be forced to endure the use of the Forever 21 entrance in order to return to his shop.
    "Oh, and Blitzen? You might want to replace those Oxfords," Mimir called. Chuckling to himself, he watched a dwarf stare at his ketchup and gum covered shoes in disbelief. Hearthstone shot him one more hand gesture, then stepped behind the drive-thru menu and disappeared, leaving Mimir's head alone in the back of the Chick-Fil-A parking lot.
Hello! So, I finished The Tower of Nero a few days ago (which arrived late... grrr). It was excellent, with twists and turns and tears and laughter. I know that Rick is now done with his mythology series for now, and he and his wife are working on new film and television adaptations of Percy Jackson and the Kane Chronicles. Because we cannot even discuss those "Peter Johnson" movies. Moving on before I rant.
Anyway. In The Tower of Nero, a reference was immediately spotted by the fandom:
Dionysus waved the question away. "Some... joint task force, he called it? The world often has more than one crisis happening at a time. Perhaps you've noticed. He said he had an emergency meeting with a cat and a severed head, whatever that means." (page 100) 
And when Chiron returned:
Chiron chuckled. "A severed head. And a cat. Two different... uh, people. Acquaintances of mine from other pantheons. We were discussing a mutual problem." (page 328)
This is me imagining this whole debacle.
Keep watch for Bast's POV next!

• queenie

the KANE CHRONICLES ARE AMAZING

SADIE IS MY QUEEN

• queenie

re: no, Orion's only about a year older than Ezra (who's nineteen) and two years older than Lucia (who's eighteen). No creepy old men will er..be involved with the babs.

• queenie

pssst.
    this is confusing as heck but i love it.
    also, i updated The Plant Prince if you want to take a look

• .amelia.

Interesting how you mingled the characters! :)

• JustAnotherDarling

reading this brought be such joy! i haven't read the trials of apollo series, but i read all the others, and it's so wonderful to see these characters again....dunno if i'm going to read the last series at all unfortunately, i have no time :(