Sunflower~

She/Her
INTP-T
enneagram: 5w6
Writer
15
Ice cream aficionado
Joined April 2019

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:34)

Best TV show: Anne with an E or Murdoch mysteries (very different but I love them both)
Best Movie: Any period drama (Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Little Women, Jane Eyre) or Words on Bathroom Walls or Emperor's New Groove... I love literally every movie I have seen
Best Book: Hagenheim Series by Melanie Dickerson (sweet and wholesome romance... I love them!!)

The Only Home We've Got

The Earth is something we all share. It is the only place known to humans where we can truly and naturally survive. That being said, most people, specifically, Generation Z and Millenials, like to play the "blame game". Greta Thunberg, a teen activist, says "But young people are starting to understand your betrayal, the eyes of future generations are all upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say we will never forgive you!"(UN Climate Summit, New York, 23 September 2019). We (the younger generations) blame our parents, grandparents, and even great-grandparents for leaving a massive mess for us to mop up. A mess that is so large it seems unfixable. That "mess" is pollution, one of the biggest issues we have at this time. In fact, Business Insider wrote an article titled "Past generations created a climate crisis for Millennials and Generation Z. Today marks 30 years of inaction." You see, older generations are blamed for something we have also taken part in creating! When that plastic bag flew out of your car when you were driving, did you stop to pick it up? How many times have you walked to work or a friend's house on a sunny day, instead of driving? Granted, these are small things, but everybody has taken part in causing pollution, no matter what age they are, and no matter what they did. I mean, I can't say that I haven't contributed to pollution! I would be a hypocrite if I didn't admit that I have also littered and used plastic straws; but we cannot blame people that are a part of the older generations for pollution, we should blame ourselves!  
    Greta Thunberg also says that "Nobody is too young to help," this quote goes hand in hand with another quote of hers, "Right now we are the ones who are making a difference. If no one else will take action then we will," she said, also stating that, "It should not be that way. We should not be the ones who are fighting for the future. And yet, here we are." I do think that we should fight for our future, after all, it is our future. However, the fact that many people have wrong, including Greta, is that we do indeed have people of all generations helping us, it isn't only on the shoulders of today's youth. While many people say that climate change is an urgent matter, we do have some time. We honestly have no idea how much the Earth has warmed, and we have no real idea how long we have! I researched various articles, one of which is an article by Forbes. They estimate that we have a rather short time window in which to save the Earth. "In the same week that temperatures soared, a BBC article suggested that the time we have to act is even shorter than we think, just 18 months." However, I also found that another article, one by NRDC.com, that says we have up to twenty years to save Earth. "Climate Scientists to World: We have only 20 years before there’s no turning back, So we’d better get it together and do something NOW." Later in that same article, they say that "No matter how much time you have, it never feels like enough." That is a shockingly true quote, one that should inspire everybody. We have the time we end up having, and we should make the best of it! We can all contribute, whether it is going out and buying a few trees for your home, walking somewhere instead of driving, and even picking up a few pieces of trash. Multiply each of those by the seven-billion people on our planet, and we can make a pretty good-sized dent in our home's pollution. So, if you have taken anything out of my plead for change, it is that we need to take action and own up to our mistakes... no more blaming and pointing fingers!

It starts with us.
Websites I used: 
  • https://www.nrdc.org/onearth/climate-scientists-world-we-have-only-20-years-theres-no-turning-back
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMrtLsQbaok
  • https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikehughes1/2019/08/02/climate-change-18-months-to-save-the-world/
  • https://www.businessinsider.com/baby-boomers-millennials-climate-change-generations-2017-7

• hypathia

This was a really different and much-needed perspective!
    RE: Thank you:) Finally found someone who read the book!

• Sunflower~

Thank you!

• Anlee

powerful speech! <33