RedVelvet

A Beacon of Light in the Fog of 2020

https://youtu.be/HCPH-zAy7s8
(video)

Transcript:
Now I was told to write a speech, I was told to speak the truth, my truth. Well this is it: over the lockdown, I was struck with a terrible tragedy. My best friend died. Most of it's a blur. Though I still remember the pain I felt. I can still remember how my emotions had manifested itself physically creating a burning hole right through my chest, where my heart used to be. When she passed, I lost all hope. But then one day I realised that one of the most tragic things I could have ever imagined had happened, yet I was still here; I was still fighting; and, despite what I believed, I still had strength. I realised that no matter how hard life gets, I will get through it. However, this world, this world that we live in is full of pain and sadness and fear. And in all this chaos, we forget how human we are. INow I can completely understand if you're feeling afraid and feeling like your whole world is falling apart, and with the difficulties the world is facing right now, it's easy to be hopeless and to believe you've lost all strength just as I did. But that's not true. You have a power inside of you, and that power is your voice. So use it. We're suffering from a pandemic, a major disaster. Now some have reacted to this by preying on one another and acting petty and selfish. Which is understandable as it is human to be like this, you want to protect yourself and your family. But isn't it also human to hope and to love? We must rise above our fears and face them. We are all in this together, we're all going through the same thing. None of us are alone. So in these dark times, we must unify and show brotherhood and sisterhood. We must show humanity and kindness to those who are hopeless and in despair, for without these qualities, all will be lost. Let us reach out to our fellow human beings and let us make connections. Let us create an environment where we can use our voices to create a better tomorrow; a place where all will feel welcome; and, most of all an atmosphere where we can foster hope, trust and happiness. 

• October 17, 2020 - 5:22am (Now Viewing)

• Arzu

I'm so sorry to hear about your tragedy, but your strength has been incredible! Your speech is amazing because of its honesty, and you've shown us how you are both vulnerable and strong. I hope you continue to use WriteTheWorld to write the truth, partly because you need it, and partly because the world needs it. I also listened to your speech, and I loved it because it was told in such a heart-to-heart way that you really build a connection between yourself and the audience. I think it was the confiding tone of voice that did it. I would recommend more emotion and firmness with your speech, just to really get your message across, because it's such an important one! And maybe more hand gestures.

• ~wildflower~

I just listened to your speech and I absolutely loved it! You used eye contact, tone, and facial expression really effectively and it was very engaging. And the actual topic is wonderful - you spoke so much hope and truth, and the figurative language is beautiful! I’m so sorry that you lost your friend - I can’t imagine how hard that must have been, and still be, but I admire the way that you kept strength. Amazing writing!