mindfruit (hiatus)

he/him | taiwanese-vietnamese
Catholic
basketballer and pianist
artist (sometimes)
Sanderson, Rowling, Riordan, McMann, and Messenger

est. July 7th, 2020

Life is Dynamite!

Hey all, I'm taking a little break from writing and this site right now. I love WtW and everyone on it, but this week has been pretty emotional for me (don't worry, nothing bad happened, and it's not writer's block either. I'm just mentally rocky and busy at the moment). When will I be back? I don't know, but I think it won't be too long. I just need to sort some things out. I hope you all understand :)

Journey before destination.

So, this is why I write

PROMPT: Why I Write

36
I write to express myself in a way I could never do while speaking. The thing about talking is that you only get one chance to say what you want. One chance to create an impression on others. One chance to get it right. As a teenager who has a lisp and considers himself slightly inarticulate, having only one chance is frightening. ​What if I say the wrong things? What will others think of me? But I can't stay quiet, or else they're going to think I'm shy. AAARRRGGGGHHHHH. I guess that's why I've been a writer since the beginning. When you put your thoughts on paper or on the screen, you see it with new eyes. Writing makes you stop, makes you think, makes you consider. What can I do to make this better? When you write, there's always a second chance. 

And yet writing is scary. As the late great William Zinsser said, "Writers must therefore constantly ask: what am I trying to say?" And most of the time, I don't know. Half of the time I write just so I can write. People say to write for yourself, to speak from your heart. The problem is, I don't know if my writing is from my heart. It's almost like I have a writing persona, eager to present myself as someone I'm not. That's what scares me, that the audience will never see me as I truly am. 

I write because life was never a tangible thing, but maybe, just maybe, I can figure out the pieces of the puzzle with a pencil and paper.
So, here's a bit about me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated (and did you find it relatable?)

1

• Rohan’s Defender (hiatus; I’ll be back soon!)

I will be sending out more information soon too!

Hi, C! I just came by to let you know that I sent out an email with some information about dates for the virtual writing camp! Just wanted to warn you so you’d see it! Have a great night!

• Starlitskies

Oh and just noticed, is that a BTS reference I see?

• Starlitskies

Beautiful! The last line is so lovely. <3

• Wishing on Dandelions

Love this!! Great job! Congrats

• midnight.summerrose

Wow!! This is amazing!! Congrats! You deserve it! :)

• LindytheRavenclaw

Congrats, Mellon! you deserve Wednesday words^^ keep writing:)

congrats on wednesday words!! this is so good and so heartfelt. Loved the reading!!

This is so good! And yes, it is very relatable. I love the quote you've put in! Congratulations on Wednesday words!

• Hninny

I heard you read and its rally nice to know you better through writing. This is amazing!!

• Treblemaker

*applause* Lovely! I heard your voice in and throughout the piece. I can totally relate to having a writing persona, and sometimes I totally embrace that voice more than my own. Anyways, amazing piece!

• Tula.S

This is beautiful and relatable. you have somehow managed to capture why I write too, and in such few words.

Yayyy congrats on being featured!! I love having talented children.

• A. Penderwick

Wow, this is really good! I especially love the last line, you really sum up the whole paragraph in that line, in a very beautiful way.
    If you have time, I would love it if you could review my piece for the novel writing competition! It's totally fine if you can't get to it, I'm just looking for some feedback.

Nice reading! Love the piece <33

• ~Zoe N~

congrats on Wednesday words, this is great!

• AbellePuppy34

This is amazing and yes so relatable! If I can't process my thoughts I write them down until they make sense again. Congratulations on winning Wednesday Words, you deserve it!

• barelybear

Woah - this is so brilliant!
    (And yes, I totally related. I think writing can be so beautiful and I love having the chance to be so much less awkward than in real life if I want. But I think that you don’t need to have a great passion and drive in your writing just yet. I like to think that I am building up my skills until I find that powerful cause or that consuming reason for writing, and maybe it will never come, but for now I can just sit back and enjoy, I guess.)

• rwong

congrats on wednesday words!! very well deserved :)

congrats of u lations on wednesday words! you deserve it-- this is a beautiful piece. and yes very relatable for me. keep writing! <3<3<3

• hold on to the memories #NEWYEAR [slightly hiatus]

Wow. I like how you presented this. I don't exactly know why, but it just resonates. Very honest and introspective. Congrats!

• Rose A. (semi hiatus)

Okay, wow! This was so good! Congrats on Wednesday Words! This was so impressive. I can see why you got chosen. Amazing job!! :)

• sci-Fi

Congrats on Wednesday Words!!!!

• doodleninja

I find this relatable in the HIGHEST way possible XD
    love that last line!

Re: that's ok! i mean that you're always checking in on others' work, giving feedback, helping, and just generally seeing how people are doing. like a "pick-me-up," making others feel good and welcome.
    also, kotlc... i have so many thoughts about kotlc that i cannot even express them. UNLOCKED! it makes me mad when i get so excited about it (like now) because then i remember that it's not out yet. :( shannon's love of cliffhangers is probably what i would do to my readers, but it's the kindest form of evil in the literary world. any theories for sophie's biological father?

• AmandaWritesRandolphTheRedNoesedSeaHorse(#holidayvibes)

Wow, this is really good! I love how writing is a different story for everyone and it's something very personal. This is very very relatable! (Thanks for liking my stuff. I would love to read some more of what you've written.)

• sci-Fi

Completely relatable. When I talk I stumble over my words and forget what I'm saying and often talk too much... writing helps me slow down and process what I'm trying to express.
    Also-how far are u into tower of nero??? I finished last weekend and I don't want to spoil anything

• tas (yellowbrickrd)

omigosh the one chance to make an impression is so true and so awful. I like this piece a lot. It flows so well, unlike this comment. Anyway, very relatable and wonderfully written.

• Sarsora

I love this speech! You are indeed relatable when you talk about getting a second chance. I personally always found writing so much easier than writing when it comes to expressing my thoughts and emotions. I think it is the right amount of personal but relatable. Good job!

• dream02

Re: happy stories that turn dark abruptly? Sounds great! :)

This is incredible! The first couple lines are 100% ACCURATE!! Wow, this is really great!
    Re: thank you so much! That sounds interesting, I’ll have to play it sometime! And I’m well thank you! I had a horseback riding show this morning (so guess who else is tired?! XD) But I’m good! :)

wonderful! the last paragraph is great. this whole piece is very relatable. and yeah... we writers have so much pressure on our shoulders. our pen is basically our only tool and we have to wield it well and wisely and somehow, someway articulate our complicated ideas. basically, it all falls down to us to save/inflame/idk what the people. also, i'm reading the burning maze right now and can't wait to read the 4th and 5th books!

Wow, this is so good. It articulates a lot of what many writers (me included) feel.

• mooncake

Omg this is so relatable. I literally love English class and hate it at the same time because I really like the reading and writing component of it and usually do well on that, however when it comes to speeches and public speaking...let's just not go there :D

• rwong

yup the speaking thing just like makes me panic...public speaking is like a hard pass for me XD but writing, as you say, helps me see my thoughts so it helps me figure out if a) what i want to say makes sense and b) if this is the proper response. my friends tell me i'm better at texting than i am talking but I guess that's fine since we're in an online world now anyway haha XD and yes, sometimes i fear my writing isn't a reflection of who i am, but who i want to be, which i guess is sometimes good...kinda? maybe? anyway i really like this piece and have a great day :D (sorry that was a super long comment)

• dream02

Relatable. So relatable. For years I had a bit of a speech impediment and even now, I sometimes talk weird.

• LindytheRavenclaw

ok so a. This is really relatable, especially the speaking part. I worry all the time and had really bad anxiety from speaking out loud for quite a while. I speak so much better with a pen and some paper. and b. OH MY GOSH YOU'RE READING TOWER OF NERO HOW IS IT?