em wilder

call me mirkat (or cordelia)
est. 10/15/20
14│she/her│INFP-A│old soul

i've always fallen in love with the ideas of people.

have an ineffable day!
i can't express how much i love it here...

<3<3<3

Look at the footnote.

she opens doors

PROMPT: YOU, The Writer

7

A thousand thoughts rushing through my head. Names and places and ideas.
    s-h-e  f-o-r-g-e-s  o-n
The thoughts, bumping into one another. Chaotic.
        s-h-e  s-t-o-p-s  a-n-d  t-h-i-n-k-s
My fingers pause until I grasp a solid word whirling in the storm. Then my hands start up again, darting to and fro. Pressing hard on the strips of plastic called keys.
     t-h-e  w-o-r-d-s  c-o-m-e  f-ly-i-n-g  i-n  t-o  m-e-e-t  h-e-r
Keys that open doors. Doors to ideas and hope and change.
        s-h-e  k-n-o-w-s  o-n-e  d-a-y  t-h-e  w-o-r-l-d  w-i-l-l  b-e  h-e-r-s
All I have to figure out is which key goes in which door. That's the hard part. 
    "k-e-e-p  t-r-y-i-n-g," s-h-e  w-h-i-s-p-e-r-s  t-o  h-e-r-s-e-l-f
Finding what fits,
        s-h-e  g-r-i-n-s, t-h-e  p-e-r-f-e-c-t  w-o-r-d  b-u-b-b-l-i-n-g  u-p  t-o  t-h-e  s-u-r-f-a-c-e
And what doesn't.
    h-e-r  h-a-n-d-s, b-a-n-g-i-n-g  a-g-a-i-n-s-t  t-h-e  k-e-y-b-o-a-r-d  i-n  f-r-u-s-t-r-a-t-i-o-n
Sometimes I have too many ideas that it just comes out like gibberish.
        "i  c-a-n-'t  t-h-i-n-k!" s-h-e  y-e-l-l-s  t-o  t-h-e  h-u-r-r-i-c-a-n-e  i-n  h-e-r  h-e-a-d
And sometimes I have no ideas, my mind a parched desert yearning for water.
    h-e-r  t-h-o-u-g-h-t-s, o-n-c-e  f-l-y-i-n-g  a-r-o-u-n-d  i-n  t-h-a-t  h-e-a-d  o-f  h-e-r-s, a-r-e 
    n-o-w  g-o-n-e, t-u-c-k-e-d  i-n-t-o  t-h-e-i-r  s-h-e-l-l-s
But it doesn't matter if I have a million ideas or none.
        s-h-e  t-h-i-n-k-s  f-o-r  a  m-o-m-e-n-t, c-l-o-s-i-n-g  h-e-r  e-y-e-s
Because I'll still be here, writing.
    h-e-r  h-a-n-d-s  c-o-m-e  a-l-i-v-e  a-g-a-i-n, a-n-d  h-e-r  f-i-n-g-e-r-s  t-a-p  o-n  t-h-e 
    k-e-y-s, b-a-c-k  a-n-d  f-o-r-t-h
Creating worlds and people and places.
        s-h-e  m-a-k-e-s  a  f-o-r-e-s-t  w-i-t-h  o-n-l-y  a  f-e-w  w-o-r-d-s  n-e-x-t  c-o-m-e-s  a 
        b-o-y, d-r-a-p-e-d  i-n  l-e-t-t-e-r-s
Satisfying the need to create and climb and soar.
    s-h-e  i-n-s-e-r-t-s  t-h-e  k-e-y  a-n-d  t-u-r-n-s
I open doors.
Before reading the next few sentences, tell me in the comments what you thought this poem was about/how it was written. I just want to know if this'll work in the future without an explanation. Thanks!

Here's what I was thinking/ how I wrote this: The hyphenated parts of the poem are someone else wrting me as a character. It's kinda confusing. The regular parts are just me. 

• ect.13

This is really great! The formatting is really cool, I've never seen it before and I understood pretty well, so don't worry about that :)
    Replying: thanks so much for your lovely comment! Keep an eye on my page and I'll hopefully post more climate poetry soon (ish!).

You're super talented - nice to meet you :)

• madeline3.14159

Wow!!!!! This is SOOO cool!!! The whole idea of this is phenomenal. The hyphenation just really made this piece!! Also, I don't know if I have said, but all of your comments are sooooo sweet and they really make my day!! Question: Do you want me to just call you Mirkat or is there something else you want to go by?

• Wisp

Okay, so the formatting really caught my eye, and I love the way it is formatted. Well done using page formatting to your advantage, it really brings out what you’re saying beautifully. The shifts from first to third person narrative are just splendid, and you did it so effectively, with the hyphens and all, it really added momentum and movement to the piece. This comparison between doors and writing is just darling, the way you described it really makes it work and it’s just all around amazing. Fantastic work! I am sure to check you out again in the near future!
    Replying: First off, welcome to Write the World! It’s so great to have some new talent around here, to get some fresh eyes on everything. If you want to ever talk and stuff, I’ll be open to it, just shoot me a comment on one of my pieces and I’ll get the notification. I’m thrilled you enjoyed the piece, it still warms my heart to this day to read other people’s thoughts and stuff. I know there’ll be great things happening in your one year here, and I look forward to it. I look forward to seeing you around the Dashboard :)

• mindfruit

Wow, this is amazing! I love the format (how long did it take you to add in all those hyphens?) and your perspective on writing. I agree with Cosmogyral, I really like how you're both the narrator and the character in this piece.
    Re: Aw, thank you for your kind words! They mean a lot to me (and it's always nice to see what type of message my pieces convey to others). I'm glad it was relatable. Btw, welcome to wtw! See you around, mirkat!

• Cosmogyral

i like how it's like someone is narrating what you're doing, you're the character, but someone else is writing you

• Remaking_The_World

Great piece! I was thinking that maybe the hyphenated parts were the ones that you were actually writing as you went through your process, and they happened to be about what your process is like. Does that make sense? :) Again, great job! I loved the description and the format.