AnnaTypeWriter

" As a writer
you try to listen
to what others
aren't saying...
and write about
the silence "
- N.R. Heart

I don't think this is quite what the prompt was asking for, but I was inspired and just went for it... I guess that's what a prompt is for, in the end!

Paper Thin Ribcage

PROMPT: Heart Places

3
I miss my place in her arms.

How my own trembling branches would wrap around her steady chest - drenched in memories of teddy bears and cold nights. I felt soggy after every hug, like my limbs would fall apart at the slightest touch, like my heart was too heavy, like it would rip through my paper thin ribs if I dared breathe too fast. 

She would feel the shaking of my fingers as they danced along her back, and trapped me tighter in her embrace. Her own hand, steady and firm like the roots of my tree, would find themselves on my shoulders - reminding me that I'm real. That I'm here. That my fragile skin was enough to withhold the beating of my heart. 

She left kicking and screaming. A black figure grabbed her by the lungs and dragged and pulled and tugged until her body could hardly handle keeping up. The figure won the race, and took her body as a prize. The white doctor whispered 'cancer' on the darkest of nights, and I my paper thin ribcage ripped. The blood splatter added colour to the blank walls, to her pale skin, to the white coats. It seeped into the black, hidden and mourning. 

I miss my place in her arms. 

• October 13, 2020 - 6:27am (Now Viewing)

Oh... oh wow. I'm speechless. Please excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

• AJ - Izzy

This is amazing. Like, really amazing. I have no words

• Bhavya's Treasure

Oh my... This is so shockingly brilliant!
    The descriptions, repetition of paper thin ribs, the imagery everything is captivating!
    Wonderful job.