PouringOutTheSun

Ireland

“In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out the sun.” -Madeline Miller, “The Song Of Achilles.”

#blacklivesmatter

writing is just a lot of rejection and i hadn’t fully experienced it before now!! gonna go write another book so i don’t have to think about that as much

In Which A Moon-Scratched Hero Walks Home, But Shallowly Winning Has Never Been Enough

7
you’re walking along a derelict path, old war chants sounding in your head, when you stop at the edge of the darkened field.

it’s october, it’s bitter out, and the moon’s only a smudge in the sky. you shove your hands in your pockets and do your best to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. you find a piece of plaster in the seam of your jacket. you pull it to pieces and wonder how it got there.

that wondering does not stop your chest from seizing up when you see the light switch on in among all the blackness. your head is too heavy for your shoulders now. you twist your fingers in supplication, trying to reach for the magic that’s been so absent ever since you arrived home. 

a goddess stands at the end of the barren wastes and you want to cry because hadn’t it been her body that you had left back at the cliffs?

(“no! look at me! i’ve been trying to tell you for so long; a body can move on without it’s soul! something dead-eyed and vigorous can shamble all the way home.”)
i just think hubris is neat 

• October 16, 2020 - 1:30am (Now Viewing)

• Rachaelgrace

Wow wow wow! Amazing writing

• Wisp

Rereading this twice hits hard the second time. The first time, the words settled, letting you feel their presence against the mind, but the second time, the words seeped in until you finally see something you hadn't seen before. Gosh this was beautiful, and, "a goddess stands at the end of the barren wastes and you want to cry because hadn’t it been her body that you had left back at the cliffs?" is just a beautifully poetic line.