tas (yellowbrickrd)

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
-the wizard of oz

16

wtf is my title..

The Art of Settling Down

PROMPT: All Talk

10
"Here? Really?"
    "Yes."
    "Wow, ok. I mean you did say it was small and grungy, but never did I imagine in a million years- what in the world- oh yes, of course, of course there would be a thong in the fireplace, a bright pink thong in our fireplace. It really does look right at home."
    "Yes it really does..."
    "So you're not going to defend it then? This apartment? You're not even going to try and convince me?"
    "No... well... no. We actually don't have a choice so convincing would be a waste of both our time."
    "Is that so?"
    "You wanted central London, I wanted near a park, you wanted not above a cafe, I wanted walking distance from my parents. Then of course there's the price! And just... it was a miracle I found this place. Think of it just a means to an end, a tool with which all of our criteria are met."
    "Hmm... well the curtains feel nice, surprisingly soft and we'll get a good sunset view. The kitchen seems just fine, oven, yes, phew. I suppose you've convinced me. I guess it's just not what I was expecting you know, but what do I know, it's my first home away from uni or parents. This is probably just fine by many standards.
    "Oh no, it really is quite bad."
    "Hah! Yeah it is... But you it's not where I am, it's who I'm with. If you're happy I'm happy."
    "Yes?"
    "Yes."
    "Alright then I'll sign the lease, small dust bin inspired apartment with complimentary thong."
    "Do shut up before I change my mind."

Just imagine the thick British accents. 

This was surprisingly hard to write, just some fun. This is a really good prompt." ahhahah I just put the quote marks there cause I'm so used to them now. lol i'm just gonna leave them. ok bye.

2

• waxingcrescents

I love this! Your use of humour and clear voices make this piece stand out. I could nearly hear the accents!! The context of the piece became clearer and clearer as I progressed, although I like that you left a little hint of mystery to it as well. Lovely work!

• Anlee

as i read this i could really hear the personalities and British accents in the dialogue! made me smile, really did <3

Re: Thanks so much!

• Tula.S

hahahahaha so funny!

• lochnessie

do RE mi fa so la ti do: yes so many!!! here's another one!! can't remember why i wrote this! ending now... glad you're having a good day :)

• lochnessie

re: thank you, i really appreciate the feedback :)
    hope you're having a good day <3

• lochnessie

re: haha thank you!!

• lochnessie

I READ THIS IN A BRITISH ACCENT
    AND THEN I READ THE FOOTNOTES

This is pretty great. I was able to picture everything quite well, despite it being entirely dialogue (which I guess is the point of the prompt), so well done. Also, I am extremely glad I know what the Aussie (and apparently British?) definition of "thong" is haha. Otherwise, I'd be a lot more concerned.