Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer (soprano)
Poet
Twin (fraternal)
Spoonie
Disfusive
Highly Sensitive Person
Living oxymoron
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Oh, for anyone who missed the memo, the plastic square is a heart monitor. It's not permanent, but it feels that way compared to the adrenaline-filled hours of performing a play/musical.

inverse

10

eyes blinking sleepily / poet speaking through tinny smartphone speakers / blanket on / off / on / off / i knew i should have worn shorts today / new jeans aren't worth the heat
hard plastic taped to my chest / i said it couldn't be worse than mic tape / but plays end / this small square of technology / remains
watching the clock / unsure of what i am waiting for / a story / or a life / what is the world doing right now what is it that am i missing
usually my turquoise walls seem bright / blinding in their fervor / but today they are washed out / blurry / faded memories tied to childhood decisions / that i can't undo / real life doesn't have retakes
everyone hates this year / but middle school was worse for me / and i've grown since then / healing and sickness / fear and relief / nobody else has looked up at a blank ceiling / and thought these thoughts / come look at my world from the inside out
I wrote this partway through rewatching the video "Sarah Kay, Poetess/Storyteller | TEDxEast". That video (and her work in general) always inspires me so much. She's just so full of life.
Fun fact: "Real life doesn't have retakes" is a line from a song I wrote in seventh grade about my first major crush. If anyone wants to know about that experience, you're welcome to ask, but there is an insane amount of cringe lol. (In case you were wondering, the line about middle school is completely unrelated to that crush.)

• October 11, 2020 - 11:11am (Now Viewing)

Aw, I feel this piece. I can relate to a lot of these experiences you speak of...though I've never had a heart monitor, I did have a wound vac attached to my back for about two months...so, I get the lack of mobility and feeling of being trapped. But you are so strong! I am constantly inspired by you, Anne.

• lochnessie

re: HAHAHA that was just a braindump XD
    (autocorrected to 'brandump' twice?? is that a thing?)
    "Quick, Mike, dump the cereal already before someone sees us!"
    "But this is the fourth brandump today!!"

• lochnessie

re: oh my goodness i suppose i signed up for that.
    well i'm sure it was a very good song
    and good on him for being irritatingly kind i suppose it's better than being kindly irritating.

• dream02

Awesome!

• lochnessie

shall i ask about this elusive first major crush XD

• mindfruit

Amazing poetry! The line " blanket on / off / on / off / i knew i should have worn shorts today / new jeans aren't worth the heat " made me laugh. Kind of relatable too
    Re: Sorry to break it to you, but I'm not in love (or I might be. I don't know. There may be someone but I haven't really gotten to know them yet). Thanks for the support though!

beautiful writing, as always <3